Carbine sling or not?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Earl Burlin

Carbine sling or not?

Post by Earl Burlin »

Hello all!

Well I bought a sling off ebay last night, and it was advertised as an original post-war surplus Russian made sling that is correct for an M44 or M38 carbine. Here is a picture off the ad:

I've not seen this style of sling before. It does not have the normal circular "dog collar" pieces of rubber, and it doesn't look like the canvas part is adjustable. I thought it looked cool and it was inexpensive, so I snagged it for my M44. I am just wondering if anyone has any more information on this style of sling. Does it appear to be a real Soviet sling? Is it for a Mosin Nagant carbine, or some other weapon?

Thanks so much everyone! Sorry for all the questions. I'm not new to Mosins, but lately I've been getting back into them and I'm trying to learn and build up a small collection. Thanks again for all of your help! :D
redspoon

Re: Carbine sling or not?

Post by redspoon »

Russian PPSh submachine gun sling, lot of folks use em on M44's. I have them on most of my carbines.
IMG_2596.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

Really? Did they use these on Mosin Nagants though? If not, technically the ad would be a bit misleading, no?
mperry985

Post by mperry985 »

These are my 2 m44s, each have a different sling, Image

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I think I see where you're going with this...yes technically its a ppsh sling as was posted by redspoon. The seller may have taken it off an M44 so he sold it that way. I think its more likely a mistake calling it a mosin sling and not a deceptive move. He could have easily listed it as a ppsh sling and probably sold it for what he sold it to you as a mosin sling.

If youre are that worried about originality then if you took it off and put another sling on that one wouldnt be original to the rifle anyway. No gain there.
:2cents:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

As bad as I am identifying slings I should shut my mouth but here is my take. They came in on refurbed M44's and M38's as replacement slings even though they were made for the PPSH they were made in such numbers they became used on the carbines being refurbed. I guess that makes them proper even though they always seemed a bit long to me. There are real short carbine slings in the usual canvas out there but they are few and far between. I have seen these sold as general replacement slings that will fit a carbine? Maybe not right to my liking but I guess it would not be a lie calling them that? I prefer to use them on my SVT's and my Soumi sub gun but to each his own. If you can catch the gist of what I am saying I don't put a lot of weight in having all the right bits and pieces proper on my rifles I primarily prefer to have the rifle and have it operating right. To each his own though. Bill
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

I just picked up an M44 that had a leather sling with buttons on it. I think I'm going to pick up one of the PPSH slings to put on it instead.
Liberty Tree also lists the same sling as an "M44 PPSH" sling.

PH

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

There never was Soviet "carbine slings" in existence. At least no war time slings. Mosin carbines used a standard m/91-30 sling. Or SMG sling.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bugelson wrote:There never was Soviet "carbine slings" in existence. At least no war time slings. Mosin carbines used a standard m/91-30 sling. Or SMG sling.
One of my 91/38's came with a very much shorter and older sling and is not at all the same length as any 91/30 slings I have. What would that be? Bill :roll:
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Bill,

Hard to tell. But as far I have understood no carbine sling were manufactured during the war. Post war they - at least some Eatern Bloc states - did.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Ah that's right you did say wartime didn't you! I would say that was for sure post war at least. I do believe you are more than likely right as I have no others that are shorter other than repaired leather ones the Finn's did I suspect. They are on 91/30's of Finn lineage and all came from Mark Kubes many years ago. He used to have some cool stuff back in the early 90's and I bought a bunch of slings from him with SA stamps and very well used too. Bill ;mywink;