Enfield No 2 Mk I* Revolver

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Enfield No 2 Mk I* Revolver

Post by Longcolt44 »

I ran across this revolver on Armslist, the guy wanted less than a Mosin 91/30. This model of the Enfield No 2 Mk 1* break top revolver was made from 1932 to 1957 and used in service until 1963. This revolver was made in 1943 by The government run Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield, UK. Unlike it's cousin the Webley revolvers this revolver was only made in 38 S&W and double action only, notice the bobbed hammer. When first made during ballistic tests it was found that the 200 grain lead bullets tended to keyhole end over end when hitting a target at it's most effective range of 15 yards. This tumbling would have a devastating effect on a body ripping and tearing as it went in. This caused the British to go to a 174 grain bullet so it wouldn't be in violation of certain terms in the Hague Treaty regarding explosive bullets. During the war the soldiers issued these used any grain they could find, mostly 200 grain.

This revolver has as you might expect as many stampings as there is surface to put it on. The PNP stamps indicate that this firearms has passed tests for smokeless powder. It is found on the barrel and each of the cylinders. The broad arrow, ( indicating British ownership), are found on many surfaces as well as the grips. This is an all matching revolver, serial numbers on the barrel, frame and cylinder. Also on the left side stamps indicates he caliber, .38 .767 “. The BNP 3 ½ tons is the actual pressure this firearm was tested at as required by the standards of the Tower of London. The bore is excellent and shows no wear. The trigger pull is a little stiff at about 10 pounds on my gauge. Overall this is in very good condition except somebody used the wrong screwdriver on the side plate screws. The ammunition shown here are some time in the past as the price tag says $4.97. Currently it sits at $39.99 for 50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Enfield No 2 Mk I* Revolver

Post by Longcolt44 »

More pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Beautiful revolver :thumbsup: LC nice write up on it. Any import stamps on that one?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Beautiful revolver :thumbsup: LC nice write up on it. Any import stamps on that one?
Yes there is an import stamp. There is a, " CAI 38 on the top of the barrel. There is an, "ENGLAND ",above the trigger on the right side
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

What you have there sir is the "Tanker" model (no hammer spur)..great piece of history.. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Well, tank you very much. :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang Chuck you have been finding some great firearms lately. Very nice find on this one.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Wouldn't the "ENGLAND" and "CAL. 38" be more properly called export stamps? Placed there by the proof house when the revolver was released from Government service?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

walnut red wrote:Wouldn't the "ENGLAND" and "CAL. 38" be more properly called export stamps? Placed there by the proof house when the revolver was released from Government service?
After reading this post I mistook the CAL for CAI. So it makes more sense that the British put it there.