FFL 03 C & R Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hudson29

FFL 03 C & R Question

Post by hudson29 »

A couple of years ago I read the information on this RMNF in the info section and applied for and received my FFL 03 after several months of waiting. My life has often been a volatile one and for one reason or another, I never bought a firearm that the new license would help with. Now I have several transactions in mind that will need this FFL 03 and have a few questions.

What should I put in the POSITION/TITLE blank? - I might be tempted to write some smart remark there but do not need any additional "issues" down the road . . .

Is there no listing of the firearm to be transferred here? I understand about listing them in my bound book.

I understand that the State of California in which I unfortunately reside has imposed some limitations on my use of this license. For example I understand that handguns are not allowed to be transferred under this license. Can anyone enlighten me here?
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
BubbaDX

Re: FFL 03 C & R Question

Post by BubbaDX »

I fill it in as "Collector" but am also interested in what everyone else puts in that spot. Good question.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
thughes

Post by thughes »

Position/Title ---> "Collector"

C&R handguns are a no-no in CA, NY, and some other states (shall not be infringed...my azz!). Have fun gettin ya some guns with that C&R!
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

I like collector. It works without being a smartass answer.

How about the second question? No need to fill out info on the firearm to be transferred? The seller keeps track on their end?

If CA didn't have great weather we wouldn't be here. Ya gotta wonder just how much people will put up with for that great weather . . .
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Wooooaaah,........ there has been a lot of changes in California in this area. I know, I'm here also.

After 1 jan 2015 all firearms have to be registered with California DOJ, just like handguns now. In order to do that There is now additional Licenses (well, really a certificate).

To purchase any C&R long arm (in or out of the state), you have to also have a California COE (certificate of eligibility).

If you have both and purchase a C&R long arm, when it arrives you have a short period of time to fill out the California DOJ forum transferring that firearm into your name. You must have a COE in order to do that. There is a cost of $19 when you send in that form each time.

A 03FFL by itself is almost useless now (in California).
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

"Collector"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

"Collector". And don't sign your original. When you need to provide a copy of your license, make a copy and sign that as well as filling out the other information (name, signature, date and status).

Every C&R firearm you purchase or sell must be booked in your C&R bound book. When you purchase it, you log it in. When you sell it, you log it out (using the same page you booked it in). If you sell any C&R firearm that you possessed prior to receiving your license, it must be logged out of your bound book. Add a statement that this was never booked in because you owned it prior to receiving your license. If you sell out of state, you must be cautious of that states laws. And a C&R does not allow the "dealing" of guns - typically defined as buying and selling as a business. You have two different processes; one for the state and one for the Feds. I was referring to the Fed requirement. Dolk and JimPierce both live in CA, so they could help guide you along with their rules.

I feel bad for you guys in California. I'll limit my comments to that.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I leave mine blank, I don't see any need for a title. My C&R expires in 6 months and nobody's complained about it being blank yet.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I used to do that too until someone emailed me back and wanted me to fill out the line.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Best info on California requirements, and up to date

https://www.empirearms.com/cal-ffl.htm
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

dolk wrote:Wooooaaah,........ there has been a lot of changes in California in this area. I know, I'm here also.

After 1 jan 2015 all firearms have to be registered with California DOJ, just like handguns now. In order to do that There is now additional Licenses (well, really a certificate).

To purchase any C&R long arm (in or out of the state), you have to also have a California COE (certificate of eligibility).

If you have both and purchase a C&R long arm, when it arrives you have a short period of time to fill out the California DOJ forum transferring that firearm into your name. You must have a COE in order to do that. There is a cost of $19 when you send in that form each time.

A 03FFL by itself is almost useless now (in California).
Thanks for this info, it had slipped past me. I have not bought a "new" gun in many years and will have to investigate this. How do you go about getting a COE? Are the Cal DOJ forms available online?

I have been talking with a pal about acquiring his collection which is 95% C&R rifles. These new complications and fees will have to be factored into the decision.
Vintage Paul

hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

qz2026 wrote:"Collector". And don't sign your original. When you need to provide a copy of your license, make a copy and sign that as well as filling out the other information (name, signature, date and status).

Every C&R firearm you purchase or sell must be booked in your C&R bound book. When you purchase it, you log it in. When you sell it, you log it out (using the same page you booked it in). If you sell any C&R firearm that you possessed prior to receiving your license, it must be logged out of your bound book. Add a statement that this was never booked in because you owned it prior to receiving your license. If you sell out of state, you must be cautious of that states laws. And a C&R does not allow the "dealing" of guns - typically defined as buying and selling as a business. You have two different processes; one for the state and one for the Feds. I was referring to the Fed requirement. Dolk and JimPierce both live in CA, so they could help guide you along with their rules.

I feel bad for you guys in California. I'll limit my comments to that.
I just assembled my bound book using the pages found on this forum and the details you provided here help explain the details of using them.

I too could say much more about these harassing laws but I'm sure it would be preaching to the choir . . .
Vintage Paul

hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

dolk wrote:Best info on California requirements, and up to date

https://www.empirearms.com/cal-ffl.htm
Terrific, I'll look this info over. I want to do everything by the book and live the quiet life.
Vintage Paul

hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

What a minefield! I have read this page three times and am still not sure what is what. It almost seems like they have made this deliberately so complicated and cumbersome that folks will just give up and take up tiddly-winks . . .
Vintage Paul

RudyN

Post by RudyN »

For the COE you download the form from the state government website. I think that Calguns forum has the forms. You then get a livescan, pay for the livescan and for the DOJ and FBI stuff and mail in the application and wait. I just did it yesterday.

Sent from the Telegraph Office
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

RudyN wrote:For the COE you download the form from the state government website. I think that Calguns forum has the forms. You then get a livescan, pay for the livescan and for the DOJ and FBI stuff and mail in the application and wait. I just did it yesterday.

Sent from the Telegraph Office
Thanks Rudy. You are in CA as well? I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer.

With a FFL03 & a COE you can purchase C&R long guns not meeting the destructive device or assault weapon prohibitions?

What is a livescan? Is it the same as fingerprinting? Where do you get this done?

What is the current cost of the COE?

I have been going over and over the Empire Arms page on restrictions to FFL03 use in the Golden State and think I am starting to understand them.
Vintage Paul

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

They have digital finger print machines and they take your finger prints and with the money (about $100 for everything) and the forum, it's sent in and you get the COE.

I went to the "UPS Store" locally and they did the finger prints (live scan system). It only cost I think about $30 a year to renew.

I have some information (a California webpage for C&R) that I did and now I can't find it. When I find it, I'll post it. It's a bit simpler.

Dolk
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Thanks Dolk, I've been dinking around with this for some years now and it is time to push it through to completion so I can get some of these long delayed transactions going. I do have a UPS store nearby, what does the scan cost? Do they send the results in to the authorities or do I do it.

All bet more than a few of the folks on this forum will be interested as so many of us are motivated by interest in historic preservation.
Vintage Paul

RudyN

Post by RudyN »

The live scan fee is set by the people doing it. Mine was $22.00 and the live scan is sent to the DOJ and the FBI. My total was $93.00 and the renewal fee is $22.00 per year. By the way a live scan is a electronic type of fingerprinting.
Rudy N
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

I forgot to say that you only need the live scan the first time you apply for the COE. From then on just the renewal fee.
Rudy N
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53