NLMosin....stray collector.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

NLMosin....stray collector.

Post by NLMosin »

I cant help myself sometimes. I know I know I should only buy pristine un-refurbed non-import marked Mosins. But I cant help bringing home the poor mistreated Mosins. I bought this 1939 Finn Capture yesterday at a gun show. It was cheap and I dont have an [SA] so I bought it. The bore is beautiful even if the rest of it isnt. I was really drawn to the stock. This poor thing has got repairs like I've never seen before. It is a finger joined stock but whats are all the other patches from? The one square patch even has a stamp on it....done before or after it was used as a patch? Who knows.. I liked the D mark also, which millman and racerguy helped identify. The sling is the most haggered old thing I'd ever seen also. I think this thing has had a full time job since '39, hunting deer or varmints, etc. I post pictures here for anyone who likes to see all these variants. Cheers.
fincap39 (1).jpg
fincap39 (2).jpg
fincap39 (3).jpg
fincap39 (4).jpg
fincap39 (5).jpg
fincap39 (6).jpg
fincap39 (7).jpg
fincap39 (8).jpg
fincap39 (9).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
redspoon

Re: NLMosin....stray collector.

Post by redspoon »

Very very nice, congrats. It's got the right look. Looks like someone got happy with the brasso though.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it very much. I think you found a real keeper.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Wow, very very nice!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
guido66

Post by guido66 »

Every rifle -no matter what its history has a story to tell. if it functions properly and works as intended , it is worthy of a place in your collection.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Hey thanks everybody. There is so much going on on this rifle. If only I knew the back story. It was $199. For a gun show in this part of the country thats cheap.
People live together.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

I was holding that rifle literallty right before you bought it. Haha! Debated picking it up, but I have a pretty pricey rifle lined up soon so I decided to pass. Another dealer managed to find an all matching 1937 Finn capture the night before. Too bad it wasn't for sale though.....
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Wow thats funny Itshildorf....I told the guy selling it that I would take it if you put it down. Thanks for putting it down. As I research it more it looks like the stock, well the back have of it, it is finger jointed, is from a Finnish M91rv. The holes in the stock have been patched. One of the patches has a stamp on it so it may have been done when the stock was joined to the front half. The front half of mine does not have the strap mounting.

You can see the stock I am talking about in this post.

http://209.140.27.248/~russianm/viewtop ... =5&t=11980
People live together.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

No problem, haha! I'm not huge into Finn Mosin Nagants.I must have gone back and picked it up at least 5 times. It was a decent deal, considering there was a 1943 refurb there for $300. Ha! I focus on Spanish Civil War stuff unless I can find a good deal. The stock was the most interesting part to me, even if it seemed a bit sanded.
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

The finish was removed and because of that I put it down a few times also. I dont see any sanding marks though. I wanted to post a better pic of the marking stamped on the stock patch. It would seem that it had to have been put on after the patch was done. The more I look at this thing the more I like it. Next time you see me at a show be sure to say hello!

Here is the stock patch mark.
patch_mark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People live together.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

NLMosin wrote:Wow thats funny Itshildorf....I told the guy selling it that I would take it if you put it down. Thanks for putting it down. As I research it more it looks like the stock, well the back have of it, it is finger jointed, is from a Finnish M91rv. The holes in the stock have been patched. One of the patches has a stamp on it so it may have been done when the stock was joined to the front half. The front half of mine does not have the strap mounting.

You can see the stock I am talking about in this post.

http://209.140.27.248/~russianm/viewtop ... =5&t=11980
You nailed it. I have a NEW in a stock like that.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

pics neal45? please?
People live together.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

NLMosin wrote:pics neal45? please?
Since there were so many photos needed to illustrate it, I decided to start a new post here: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=25286