BP sticker shock

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
walnut red

BP sticker shock

Post by walnut red »

I've struck out finding actual black powder in central Ohio. Thursday 4 of us from work were driving to NE Ohio on business. 3 of the 4 shoot muzzle loaders and as the Log Cabin Shop was only 4 miles out of our way we took a vote and decided to stop there for morning break. I asked the owner of he had any FFFG in stock and he said: Plenty @ $25.95 per lbs. The shock must have registered on my face, the last I bought was <$8 per pound. His daughter spoke up and said they still had a few of the old metal canned Goex left and he offered me those for $15 a can. I don't care what the can is made of so I took all he had left at that price. My 1893 Remington rifle repro just does not seem to like Pyrodex so I was happy to get this powder.
hudson29

Re: BP sticker shock

Post by hudson29 »

All of my black powder is in metal cans. Are they not using metal any more?
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Goex is using plastic now. Not sure about the others.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a lifetime supply of Goex in the metal cans.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You must not have bought powder in a mighty long time. I bought a pound at Bass Pro Shops a year ago for 25.00. Graf and Sons has it online and prices are really good. To absorb the cost of Hazmat it is best to order 5 or more pounds.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

No, not for a long time. I shot a lot of BP on the 70's and 80's but quit in the mid 90's. A few years ago I friend was downsizing and gave me a good deal on a Remington Zouave and last year I saw a Remington 44 revolver at the Cabelas bargain cave at a price that tempted me too much. When I got to my last 1/2 pound of FFg and FFFg I stared looking and found BP is no longer sold in my area.
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a lifetime supply of Goex in the metal cans.
Is there a shelf life on this stuff? I seem to remember someone saying that old BP got touchy with age and could detonate with little provocation. I have a goodly supply of it myself that has sat on the shelf for 20 odd years . . .
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's dynamite, it can start to leach pure nitro as it ages, not black powder. Keep your powder dry and it will be fine even 100 years later.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt