Had an M28 with Ski Trooper stock fall in my lap today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RazorBurn

Had an M28 with Ski Trooper stock fall in my lap today

Post by RazorBurn »

Picked this up today, and it just kind of fell into my lap. I almost passed on it because the bore looked terrible, but I could see what I thought was signs of good rifling so I took the chance. The Ski Trooper stock was a plus too. Spent most of this evening cleaning it up, with the barrel taking most of the time. I couldn't remove the stock from it as the rear band screw is stripped, but thankfully the screw is staying in place. I was going to pull it out of the wood to check the barrel for a date and any other markings, but I don't want to risk having to find a rear band screw. The front band screw is broken, but at least the tip of the broken screw is not in the nose cap. It has an early style nose cap, and the front screws are missing from it also. Hopefully I can come across the nosecap screws to make her complete.

The barrel cleaned up nicely, and it has strong rifling once I got the crud out of it. The chamber and front two thirds of the barrel looks excellent, but there's some minor pitting in the lands in the last third toward the muzzle. Thankfully it wasn't a sewer pipe as I was originally suspecting. Muzzle wear looks good with the bullet test. None of the numbers match except the bolt has been force matched with what I think is the Civil Guard number stamped on the right side of the receiver. The receiver is only marked SY and the D below it. I was also interested in seeing what kind of markings and date the receiver had, but that'll have to wait for now. There's also some kind of marking on the right rear of the buttstock, but I can't make them out. It has a discreet Marathon Products import mark on the end of the barrel on the right side. I haven't checked the headspace yet, but I'll do that once I take her downstairs to the safe.

Thought I'd share some pictures of my lucky find.

Threadkiller extraordinaire...
zeebill

Re: Had an M28 with Ski Trooper stock fall in my lap today

Post by zeebill »

Extremely early double sling slot rifle, 0937? That is the serial with the small o0937 on the side. It should be in a double sling slot stock I believe with that number. Great acquisition for any piece in my eyes you are just not going to find something like that for any price these days. I can't tell for sure if the metal plate is still there on the nose piece or like the screws it to is missing? I think the blurred stampings on the stock may be left over from previous use as an M91 stock which has been shortened and reused by the Finns. Finding that nose plate if missing and those screws will be a challenge but one never knows what suddenly will appear! If the screw in the rear band is acting like it is stripped the actual problem may be the threads in the band it self are destroyed because there are so few in that thin metal band for the threads to catch and hold. I hate to say what I would do and indeed have done! Are you ready for this? I took a small pin punch and drove the screw out of the band so I could take the rifle apart and safety inspect it before firing it. I then replaced the band with a working one and used the remaining screw threads on the screw to refasten the band in place. I refuse to fire a rifle that I can not take completely apart and oil and safety check. Just too many chances of a big problem in my mind. I like all my fingers and eyes and will do what I have to, to keep them attached and working right.

Regardless of what you might have paid I would say you have one there like you may never see again so make it right and fully enjoy shooting it! Stock looks awful light and some of the finger groove shows rounding but that could have come from honest wear and use and I am sure not going to say it was refinished as I have a similar rifle that is about the same color and shiny like yours too. I know one thing I am not ready to say mine is refinished and I am not going to say that about yours either. That is an old rifle and looks awful nice but who is to say where and when it got that way? With rifles that old I have found many of the bands and nose pieces are what has no threads and many times the screws are reusable with replacement of the above parts. You will have to search and make decisions of which ways you are going to go to make the rifle shootable safely and as whole as you can with out breaking principles of what you know is right. Very nice rifle and indeed you are lucky to have found it. Congrats are sent with a jealous tinge or two! Bill
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

The number looks like its starts with a, "6" to me. Which puts it out of the accepted range of an original double slot M28 (though the accepted range has grown a little bit over the last year or two).
The stock also appears to have been refinished. Maybe some additional pictures taken outdoors in natural lighting will help with determining that.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Serial number is 6937. The stock looks like your typical shellaced/varnished Russian stock to me. The wood color is in line with other Russian stocks I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been sanded in the past, but I don't see any recent evidence of it myself. Wood looks matching to me and like it's been together a long time. Screw hole through the stock for the nose cap is small diameter, so it didn't start life as a later large hole nose cap. Front screw holes are in the wood, but of course there are no front nosecap screws there. The front nosecap metal is there.

Headspace checks good as the bolt won't close on my Okie no go gauge. Disassembled the bolt, cleaned and inspected it, and got the firing pin protrusion balls on the first try with the bolt head not fighting me like they normally do on reassembly either. :biggrin: Function tested fine with my dummy rounds. Once I get at a screw to hold the nosecap in place I plan on taking her to the range to see how she shoots.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The problem with it looking like a typical Russian stock is although it may have started life out as a Russian stock the Finn's redid it and it was then later redone more than likely, ike as not in this country by some unknowing person and as far as the numbers on it being a 6000 series I would not worry as the numbers seem to have expanded a bit from the original amount and where they should have stopped. I believe one of the ones I own is in the 6000 range and it is for sure original to the stock as the number on the tang was virtually implanted into the wood.

Again this is just my own way of doing it I would not shoot that rifle without a total teardown and safety check. That again is your choice as it is your body that can be hurt not mine. Oh warn me what range and I will be sure to stay home that day! :lol: Just be extra careful and try and stay away from others at the range. Check your first shell after firing for nicks and unusual marks and only load one shell the first time. Good Luck! :wink: :wink:
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Had a chance to take it out of the stock today and found a 27 dated barrel. Also found some rust spots under the woodline that is mainly on the barrel. For what I have in it, and considering it's age I'm happy with it.

entropy

Post by entropy »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien