Stock reinforcing bolts

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Stock reinforcing bolts

Post by NLMosin »

I have been looking for info on Stock reinforcing bolts. Anyone have an insights? thanks in advance... :pointleft:
441.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NLMosin on Fri May 08, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stock reinforcing bolts

Post by Longcolt44 »

You need to be clearer on what you want or need about them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

The usual. Were they done on original stocks at factory or at refurbish? Are they common? Were there different types used? Were they inherent in any particular models or broad based? Were they only on Finns or Yugo etc?
People live together.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

They are common on the laminates but have been seen on others also. It is suspected they were added for strength at the wrist.
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

Hey there NLMOSIN ,just posted this very thing a few minutes ago on the thread" my new 91/59" I have the exact same recoil bolt lug on my new too ,m91/59 ,just exactly like your rifle ,im looking for knowledge of this modification too .your stock appears beautiful and mint as mine is as well no cracks ,the why is an interesting question to be answered ..

sapishka
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

oh my stock is solid ,no laminate ,yes to make it stronger ...but rare anyhow . still another odd thing done to these .

sapishka
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

Darn guys wish my thoughts could only use 1 post ,but to answer the one querry ,my m91/59 is a Russian built carbine ,all IZHEVSK MARKED has a bow and arrow as well on magazine bottom . all triangle /arrow with fletchett. bolt etc all matching stamped number .except the cleaning rod . some where that must have just got a nice one plugged I there from another carbine .

sapishka
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I guess they are not as rare as I thought they were. Still, I think they are pretty cool on a rifle. Anything unique is cool by me... 8-)

Oh and I need to clarify something. That one is not mine...I bid on it but didnt get it... :cry: ...I posted here to get an idea about rarity to sway me to bid more....didnt matter. Someone else wanted it more than me... :vcool:
People live together.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think you mostly find them on Russian Mosins.

M38

M44 (non- refurbished)

You see them on mostly laminates, but show on solid wood also.

Not much special about them.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you really want to talk rare then the one to find is a 91/30 WITHOUT a crossbolt in the center of the stock.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have a hardwood 91/30 with an additional cross bolt. It is there to strengthen a possible damaged stock.

Here you can see it above the trigger.

With the action removed you can see why it was added.
Kollaa kestää
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can't be sure where a bolt was done, some probably done here in the states. I know of at least one M-48 that was repaired this way, had a crack from recoil right down the center of the buttstock. The bolt and some Elmers made it good again. This was done by someone on this forum :roll: It's not uncommon....SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A repair like that should be better than original.
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

Well pulled down my m91/59 and its close to the one viewing here above my post now ,same thing cracked wood right in the middle between trigger slot and mag well cutout .just a weak little area my wood is still there ,but a nice crack. Turk mausers also suffer this fate and then some .I would think a very solid added repair to these mosin stocks would be to add pillars at least in the rear hole to strengthen the stock so the forces do not just bang the wood hole to death,and keep the action more solidly in place . At least then it would preserve the stock from further damage and you could feel a lot more confident about shooting it if so desired .Mine is glued and clamped .the new crossbolt will prevent the opening up or more damage ,but yes the reason for these stock bolts .I added a 1903 springfield crossbolt to my FR-8 due to the same issue ,it worked great due to the strength of the 1903 crossbolt and the smaller diameter ,preserving the wood from breaking apart .looks very nice ,most do not notice it . I will also note that the left side top edge is quite thin too on my 91/59 so these carbines must have had a good sanding during the refurbishing into 91/59s .

sapishka
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I've got my views on these and it has to do with wood strength, i.e., weakness as a result of 1) non seasoned wood and 2) immature wood that was a result of all the stock building and destruction of forests before and during the war. I can't imagine how much wood was needed to make the millions of WWI rifles and then the millions of WWII rifles. Hence, the use of laminates in Russia and Germany. Just speculation. I haven't seen a laminate with out one. I have several birch stocks with one and even two additional stock bolts. I don't think they raise the rareness gauge. They are, certainly, high on my coolness gauge though :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote:I've got my views on these and it has to do with wood strength, i.e., weakness as a result of 1) non seasoned wood and 2) immature wood that was a result of all the stock building and destruction of forests before and during the war. I can't imagine how much wood was needed to make the millions of WWI rifles and then the millions of WWII rifles. Hence, the use of laminates in Russia and Germany. Just speculation. I haven't seen a laminate with out one. I have several birch stocks with one and even two additional stock bolts. I don't think they raise the rareness gauge. They are, certainly, high on my coolness gauge though :D
Most of the Laminate stock used by Russia was put on "during refurb". Only a few laminates were used before the end of the war (for Russia). The war time laminates tend to be tighter laminations then the post war.

Now you have seen a laminate without a reinforcing bolt! :wink:

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yep, now I've seen one. I have an M-44 in an "early" laminated stock but it has the cross bolt. You noticed I didn't use the term "never". I have stopped using that word with Mosins :D
sapishka

Post by sapishka »

These certainly do help solve future issues ,if mym91/59 didn't have it crack city here we come . I have now installed 2 pillars into the stock .I used a 3/8 drill carefully speced it for size ,drilled the 2 holes carefully and the drill followed the original hole perferect .here the part that may drive you guys nuts ...the mosin pillars on ebay and elsewhere are 1/2 " OD BIG .I was not going to even attempt this .so I took my digital calipars and measure the mosin action screws and holes then headed to home depot ( CALM YOURSELVES NOW) found the little package of lamp pillars ,those threaded sleeves .they are a near exact fit inside diameter and can be cut easily to fit the hole depth ,also come in a package of different lengths. so I drilled my original holes to the 3/8 diameter ,measured and made the exact length pillars and deburred them ( I have a gunsmithing room tools and correct ambient heating and all, including machinist gunsmithing business experience ) my job . so these were not done hap hazard . these pillars with the threaded outside were slotted at one end each .I was able to easily thread them right into the mosin stock holes for a perfect fit and no need to glass bed or epoxy them in place ,they cut in very nicely and fit beautifully . I have reassembled the action and tightened the screws .they torque up great and will not smash the wood down or the fibers causing an overtightened condition and now will not come loose due to the old wood compressing ,like the issues qz2026 wrote here ,which is really exactly the issues IE: old tired pounded wood . So I think this saves the stocks and no glassing to alter the originality of the stock .further just makes the cracking a non issue .this operation can be done after your cracks are glued ,then go to this step .I hope no offense to collector as I am a diehard collector of most any vintage military arm .remember however the mausers k98s and 1903 springfields and some others have pillars installed originally as built . I now will feel very comfortable shooting this very nice m91/59. I cannot say I would alter a rare collector or other , unless your going to shoot it and some guys definatly do .my other guns will be left as is unless I found my other 91/30 shooter or m44 has become a cracked stock victim . One of my turk original stocks has the pillars too ,original brass .

sapishka
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I see only one problem with all this drilling and addition of parts. It effects the true collector value of any rifle that is subject to this. If you see a rifle that is starting to crack or is cracked, retire it, don't screw with it.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:I see only one problem with all this drilling and addition of parts. It effects the true collector value of any rifle that is subject to this. If you see a rifle that is starting to crack or is cracked, retire it, don't screw with it.
This is one of my nightmare scenarios. Taking my Dragoon to the range, firing it, and having that crack split wide open. That would immediately soar into the Top 10 of my "Dumb Denny" moments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.