T53 advice

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JoeZ

T53 advice

Post by JoeZ »

May be picking up a T53 "bring back". I know I can't count on authenticity wo papers. I'm not counting on it. The stock has a big gouge out of it. My question is "at a good price....really good price, how bad would it have to be before I walk away?"
The metal looks good in pictures, and he claims it shoots.
I am looking at it tomorrow. The only thing I'm not sure of is the rifling. Is there a threshold any of you have before its not even worth it as a wall hanger?
Joe
steelbuttplate

Re: T53 advice

Post by steelbuttplate »

If rifling is good-strong, should be OK.....My best shooter has mediocre, rounded rifling but it's a real shooter for reason unknown . I have seen a couple where the rifling was about worn flat and they threw rounds everywhere :2cents: SBP 63 MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That is a hard question. You will never know until YOU put some rounds through it. If it shoots good, great. If not, hang it on the wall.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never buy a milsurp with the idea that it will be a good shooter, these are antiques and best bought for their history. If it turns out to shoot well then it's gravy on the deal, and if it shoots like crap then no disappointments.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Here is my opinion and mine only. I am new to the Mosin collecting game and unfortunately got in at the worst time in it's history as the prices are climbing steadily. I'm no where near the class of collector that you will find on these forums. I also don't have unlimited resources to buy whatever I see just 'because'. All that being said if I saw a T53 that I knew would never ever have a chance of shooting and it was in nice shape visibly I wouldn't pay more than $80-$100 depending on how it looked. It would be better to put that money in my back pocket for the next one which might be better.

I just bought a 1955 in really nice shape with nice rifling at a gun show. I paid $179 for it. Even at that price there was a gamble that it would clean up enough to shoot accurately. I cleaned the bore and its shiny but there are some pits here and there. I will shoot it this weekend and see how my gamble paid off.

I don't know if that logic helps any. I have to say I do get caught up in it at times, and I have paid a little more than I should at times but the way things are going the extra I paid a few weeks later is now the new price. Its hard to make a decision sometimes with all the rhetoric about 'these are the last mosins ever' bantered about. Go with your gut. :2cents: :2cents:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The carbine should have good rifling if you are going to shoot it. Many T-53's have excellent bores. If I were to consider purchasing a "bring back", my first plans would be that it isn't a shooter but a wall hanger. For me personally, I don't want to be reminded so I wouldn't likely go after one. Although I did purchase an M-38 recently that upon inspection after getting it home, is probably some sort of bring back. :bonk: If you want a shooter, then find another T-53. They are inexpensive and you can often find them in very good condition at your price requirements. But, if you want a bring back and a shooter then go for it. But, I don't think you will find them inexpensively.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Not a bring back fan so I look at it this way the most expensive T-53 I have seen at a show was $200 and I was not interested because it had been restored or Bubba got a hold of it. So going on that I would say a non-shootable bring back would have to be in the $100 to $150 range without papers. If it had papers and was a non-shooter I would have to be around $160 or so. A shootable bring back with papers around $175 to $200 would be about right to me. A shootable bring back without papers is a story rifle to me and holds no extra value to me other than its condition. I do by the way own a purported bring back without papers the is has an EP'd story on it that is non-shootable which I paid $125 for years ago. It has a blued and crystalized metal bolt that makes it much like many of the booby trapped ones I heard of many years ago and owned at one time. If someone says bring back I instantly think I wonder if it is like mine and booby trapped to catch the unsuspecting owner firing it? Another reason why I am not a bring back person. Good Luck! Bill
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Bill is wiser than me, although I am better looking. I would pay $250.00 + for a shootable bringback with papers in a heartbeat. In days when a '43 M-44 can bring $300.00 I think a papered vet capture would be worth more.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum