Ammo?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Moonpie00

Ammo?

Post by Moonpie00 »

Aim Surplus currently has Russian, Bulgarian and Romanian crates of 7.62 X 54R surplus ammo available.
My question is any countries ammo better or more reliable than anothers? If I am going to order a crate I would
prefer the best ammo. Thanks for your help.
steelbuttplate

Re: Ammo?

Post by steelbuttplate »

My preference for Milsurp is Bulgarian. It's probably '80s production, the Romanian might be poly coated that can cause problems. What company has the Bulgarian right now?.......SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

OK I see, Aim has all 3...SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Classic has the non silver tip 880 case for $ 184, Russian, stamped'82.....should be good stuff....SBP
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I'd go for the copper washed stuff, whichever country it is from. Most likely Russian.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Once you decide what you want this is a good place to start to find who has what and what type case it has as well as a lot of other info. about each. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R/showall The column labeled "Case/Primer/Corrosiveness" has abbreviations for each and if you put your cursor over them a window pops up explaining the abbreviation. For example "cw" is copper washed steel, "st" is steel, bare or unknown, "py" is polymer coated steel, "br" is brass etc.
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

The ammo deals are nice, but not all of them will tell, how much the freight will be without registering??I see that ussac has the cheaper, but i don't belong to thier club, so that deals sour..I like most the ammo that doesn't have the poly jacket..Looks like the price is falling--- going to pay more attention to that and soak up another case, for fun..
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

redhat10 wrote:The ammo deals are nice, but not all of them will tell, how much the freight will be without registering??I see that ussac has the cheaper, but i don't belong to thier club, so that deals sour..I like most the ammo that doesn't have the poly jacket..Looks like the price is falling--- going to pay more attention to that and soak up another case, for fun..
USAC Sales doesn't have any clubs to join and if you want to see what it costs to ship something just add it to your cart and go to the cart. When you're in the cart look down below the items in the cart and it says "What would you like to do next?" with 3 choices to pick, one being "Estimate Shipping and Taxes". Click the circle in front of it and it opens some drop down boxes, fill them out and it tells you what shipping is. The chart at gun-deals has shipping estimates but they're a bit general and only meant to give an idea based on weight what it might be to ship each deal but it also has flat rate and free or included shipping figures too. Some deals also have coupon codes available for discounts or free shipping in the titles. Bottom line is you always need to double check what vendors charge at their sites and it's not that hard. Most allow you to just add it to the cart and have options to check shipping and any taxes. Taxes are usually only if the vendor is in the same state your in.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I went through a whole 440 tuna can of 82/188 Russian and it worked for me. I just started a can of Romanian and from what I can see the performance is the same. I do like the silver tips on the Romanian though...just looks cooler. Next can will be Bulgarian. I am also going to buy a box or two of PPU so I can see if there is a real difference. When I finally get that sniper Im saving up for I'll probably use the PPU to shoot that. Cheeers!
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I really like that "Gun Deals" site Weldon, and I visit frequently. Thanks for letting me know about it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

husker51 wrote:I really like that "Gun Deals" site Weldon, and I visit frequently. Thanks for letting me know about it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
No problem, I'm glad it helps. If you ever have any questions about how stuff works on there don't hesitate to PM me, I'm the one to ask. There's a lot of neat features that take a while to get used to. :D
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

weldon, thanks for the tips, I'm not that quick on the computer, but manage to get around..