Value question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Vendetta

Value question

Post by Vendetta »

This is completely vague so bear with me. Im not looking for an exact dollar amount, just a rough idea on value for the package. I have a rifle I am looking at trading for an M1 carbine and a 1903a3. I value my rifle at $1600 and others have agreed this is fair. The rifles in question are as follows....

Remington 1903a3, serial range 393xxxx, roughly 1942 production from my 30 seconds of research. Guy says its in great shape and the mediocre pictures seem to confirm this. Says bore is good and action is smooth.

Winchester M1 carbine, serial range 579xxxx, roughly 1944 production from my 30 seconds of research. Told it is in "pretty good" condition which from the pictures seems there is some pretty typical wear on the rifle. Says bore is good, action is smooth. Also tells me there is " H with a shield on right side of rear site an M on mag release KI on front sling swivel."

Any thoughts? Does this seem fairly even? I know the Winchester carbines can be big money. The guy Im talking to has admitted that he doesnt know much about milsurps. Attached a few crappy pics...
IMG_20150331_200217.jpg
IMG_20150331_200229.jpg
IMG_20150331_200732.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vendetta

Re: Value question

Post by Vendetta »

Also quick note I only have about $1100 into the rifle Im trading so this trade would only cost me approx $1100.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The Winchester has correct "features" for a late build. But we would need much more detail to determine if it is all original. Here's a thread with some detailed pics to compare authentic original parts.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23095

Now, on value. It takes quite a NICE O3-A3 to be a $1,600 gun, but it is possible in excellent condition of 98% or better, and all original parts and finish. Most Remington 03-A3 guns (90 - 95%) are in the $7-900 value range.

Even at minimum value for the Winchester Carbine (also $7-900 for a mixed parts rebuild), you are likely going to come out ahead. With original finish and mostly correct parts, most Winchester Carbines will be $1,200 and up. My carbine which is referenced above would be $1,800 -2,500 at auction, depending on how bad a bidder wanted it.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

US M1 carbine prices are insane these days, add the Winchester name to it and even with some use on it the price would likely hit that $1100 by itself or way over it if it's very clean and original. Just about any US M1903 A3 is going to be a $700-$900 rifle unless it was beat to death and shot out. Real US milsurps are in such demand that reproductions have been made for many years, especially of the carbine, low priced real US milsurps were around 25 years ago and vanished in what seemed like an instant, today you pay if you want them. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who wants a fast sale, or has no clue what they are selling, your seller sounds like one of these. Once upon a time I bought both of these rifles for less than $200 each, that time is almost like a dream today.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

That was kindve my thought too JYD. Ithink the carbine alone will cover the money I have in it. At the very least I will wind up with a very cheap 1903a3. Waiting to hear back from him on a few more questions and then hopefully we can set up a meet. Pictures will come if we can get a deal done.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

If he is happy with the deal, I would close it immediately and exchange the rifles.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Jump on that deal/steal. You may even find the cleaning kit in the butt stock on the 03-a3. It looks to still be in the blue, non parkenized hardware, with the leather sling. That is a great deal for both rifles. I can't wait to see the pics... Good luck.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

No one has asked the "Import mark" question . This in itself can greatly effect the values of these 2 pieces. In my neck of the woods a non import marked Winnie Carbine will bring $900-1100. A non import marked 03a3 will bring $600-$800. Import marks will drop the values by a few hundred each and we havent even made it to condition and whether the parts are correct, or even semi correct , for each of the mentioned pieces.. Also, what is it that you would be trading? Value is one thing but how about availablility? While valuable , 03a3's and carbines are very common. Is your rifle easily found??? My :2cents:
Jim

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Yes mine is modern. I askrd the import mark question, neither rifle has any import marks according to him BUT the conversation took a strange turn when he told me he is not located in the state I live in but he has friends who travel for "the government" who can do the trade. I laughed out loud when I read it. Communication over.
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Oh... How did you come about this deal?? Was it Armslist?? Scamslist.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

boltaction wrote:Hello, Oh... How did you come about this deal?? Was it Armslist?? Scamslist.
Oh for sure. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Armslist because I ignore jokers like this. Life will go on. [emoji1]
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffeng31 wrote:No one has asked the "Import mark" question . This in itself can greatly effect the values of these 2 pieces. In my neck of the woods a non import marked Winnie Carbine will bring $900-1100. A non import marked 03a3 will bring $600-$800. Import marks will drop the values by a few hundred each and we havent even made it to condition and whether the parts are correct, or even semi correct , for each of the mentioned pieces.. Also, what is it that you would be trading? Value is one thing but how about availablility? While valuable , 03a3's and carbines are very common. Is your rifle easily found??? My :2cents:
I have not found this to be the case in NY, here if it is clean nobody pays attention to the import mark. Demand far outstrips supply when it comes to US milsurps, I see the local shop selling early 90's Korean import Garands with new wood on them for $1100, they find buyers, they haven't had a carbine to sell in a year. Used to be the "blue sky" import stamp was the kiss of death, no more, not here.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

JYD, Must certainly be a regional thing as I can still find the Blu Skys and the Arlingtons at significantly lower prices. I should start scooping them up and shipping them to you ... ;mywink;
Jim

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The math works on your deal, but more important is will you be happy with the swap.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Oh, just do the swap and ship them to me.

:)
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

I let it play out a little longer and as soon as I mentioned doing the swap through an ffl... *crickets*
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Then you are well quit of him. You may assume that there was something rotten on his side of the deal.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Vendetta wrote:I let it play out a little longer and as soon as I mentioned doing the swap through an ffl... *crickets*
Was it an out of state transfer? If it's a legal in state face to face transaction why would you want to transfer through an FFL? Does your state require an FFL transfer on private sales/trades?
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

RazorBurn wrote:
Vendetta wrote:I let it play out a little longer and as soon as I mentioned doing the swap through an ffl... *crickets*
Was it an out of state transfer? If it's a legal in state face to face transaction why would you want to transfer through an FFL? Does your state require an FFL transfer on private sales/trades?
My state doesnt, no but he was out of state.