I've Got the Bug

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rightwinger9

I've Got the Bug

Post by Rightwinger9 »

Purchased my first Mosin, a 91/30 around 2-3 years ago. It is a 1938 Izhevsk that came with all the cosmoline to clean. Great shooter. I recently developed the desire to collect Mosins, and about 3 weeks ago, I picked up a bubbaed 91/30 (1944 Izhevsk). I say bubbaed only because it came with a scope mounted where the rear sight used to be. Great shooter as well.
Just last week, I picked up another 91/30 that is also a great shooter. This one is a 1932 Izhevsk 91/30 with laminated stock and hex receiver.
I wish I would have started collecting when they were less expensive and more plentiful. Oh well, better late than never.
Thanks for letting me share.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: I've Got the Bug

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, we all wish we had started collecting something when it was very cheap. Mosins were cheaper when I started collecting them in the late 80's when I acquired my first type 53, yes I got them cheap, but now I am 28 years older. I would rather have the 28 years back and pay todays full retail price for every Mosin.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Golden fact about life for you! Wishing will never do it! Welcome aboard! Bill :wink:
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start. :D
Rightwinger9

Post by Rightwinger9 »

Thank you for all the responses. I am now always on the lookout for a good deal on a nice Mosin.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I got a Bubba no rear sight also. Happened to have a scope to mount in it, man was I amazed. for about $170 I've got a sniper rifle that will hit a paper plate at 400 yd. with a 2x7 scope. There is still a good deal now and then. A couple of my best shooters are T-53 Chinese.....SBP 63 MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The bottom line is this: They will be more expensive in days to come than they are now. They aren't making any more of them and more and more are lost to Bubba every day.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
docbob

Post by docbob »

Hey Rightwinger,
Good name as most of us on this site are probably "rightwingers" Welcome aboard but be forewarned, there's no turning back now! While I don't have nearly as many Mosins as some members, I'm always looking for another interesting one. The thing about milsurps, they're all interesting, all have a history and what stories they could tell us if they could speak!
Enjoy the quest,
DocBob
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

docbob wrote:Hey Rightwinger,
Good name as most of us on this site are probably "rightwingers" Welcome aboard but be forewarned, there's no turning back now! While I don't have nearly as many Mosins as some members, I'm always looking for another interesting one. The thing about milsurps, they're all interesting, all have a history and what stories they could tell us if they could speak!
Enjoy the quest,
DocBob
*Popcorn* for when FineRedMist sees this and inevitably takes offense that "most" of us are right wingers. [emoji41]
Rightwinger9

Post by Rightwinger9 »

docbob wrote:Hey Rightwinger,
Enjoy the quest,
DocBob
Thanks. Yes, I am proud to be a "rightwinger". It was also my position and number in youth hockey many years ago.