How does one restore the stock on a mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Osufan456

Post by Osufan456 »

My mosin's stock is quite nasty and has cosmoline in all the pores, I know this because every time I shoot it seeps out and take finnish off with it, it looks like I took sandpaper to it. It saddens me it looks so bad haha. So how do I remove cosmoline and re-Finnish stock?
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Re: How does one restore the stock on a mosin?

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Do not sand the stock in form or fashion :attn: You do not refinish the stock.This forum frowns badly on sanding and refinished wood. :pointleft:

Just keep wiping off the Cosmo,and be proud of the dings and dents in the wood.It took many many years and lots of history to get that way.

My way to remove cosmo from the wood (this is one of the accepted ways) is to take the rifle apart wrap the wood tightly in newspapers.Then put the stock in a black garbage bag.The take outside on a hot sunny day and let set in the sun.The cosmo will come out of the wood and soak into the newspaper.You might have to do this several times.You should be pleased at the results.The after you are satisified rub the wood down with lemon oil and enjoy..
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

One does not restore. One simply preserves.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

This is a preservation site & we do not condone re-finishing stocks or any other kind of permanent modifications. Flaky stocks are a common result of owning Soviet arms & were considered normal in the field as well. That itself is part of the history these rifles have. Enjoy it for what it is.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

They way it is is the way it should be.
:pointup:

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

martin08

Post by martin08 »

70-plus year old stocks get a aging on them. Makes them perfect.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

No need to refinish the stock. You just didn't get all the grease off of the rifle. For the inside I use a nylon pic with a 90 degree end to scrape the bulk of the grease off. This will significantly reduce the number of towels you will need for the next step and you would be surprised at the gobs of grease that will come up using this method. This really works well. Then I use old towels and wipe, wipe, wipe until the grease is gone. You can tell by the feel of the wood on your fingers. If still sticky, still feels "greasy" or resistant to running your finger across it, there is still grease on it. If you actually fell the wood, then 99% of the grease is gone.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Anyway as is the stock will keep your hands nice and soft.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Just carry a towel to the range, or get a roll of the blue paper towels from the auto parts store. The heat from firing the rifle causes the grease to leak out so you can wipe it off. Keep is simple. Any attempt to refinish the rifle will lower the value to old bb gun status.
Oldvetteman

Post by Oldvetteman »

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that leaving one of these rifles in its "original" chipped-shellac, greasy, beat up looking condition will increase the likelihood that Bubba will someday buy it and sporterize it because it is so rough looking? I know this sounds like I am advocating restoration vs. preservation, but I worry that when selecting a rifle to sporterize Bubba might decide to hack up the arsenal-rebuilt, chipped red shellac rifle, rather than choosing the rifle that has had the shellac removed and finished in oil. Lots of ways to look at preservation.
"To preserve and shoot"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Oldvetteman wrote:Has anyone ever considered the possibility that leaving one of these rifles in its "original" chipped-shellac, greasy, beat up looking condition will increase the likelihood that Bubba will someday buy it and sporterize it because it is so rough looking? I know this sounds like I am advocating restoration vs. preservation, but I worry that when selecting a rifle to sporterize Bubba might decide to hack up the arsenal-rebuilt, chipped red shellac rifle, rather than choosing the rifle that has had the shellac removed and finished in oil. Lots of ways to look at preservation.
It really doesn't matter. Yeah these guys may be picking these rifles because "they made millions of them" and they're battle worn but altering a collectible rifle to make it less desirable to someone that may want to alter it worse is not the solution and removes it from the collectible pool of rifles too so you've done the same thing. Bubba will do what he wants to whatever he wants. We've seen bubba'd rifles that were hacked up like M91 Remington's and M28s and even a 1907 carbine. Looks aren't the only or main reason they do this. It's ignorance and a lack of caring about history.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Oldvetteman wrote:Has anyone ever considered the possibility that leaving one of these rifles in its "original" chipped-shellac, greasy, beat up looking condition will increase the likelihood that Bubba will someday buy it and sporterize it because it is so rough looking? I know this sounds like I am advocating restoration vs. preservation, but I worry that when selecting a rifle to sporterize Bubba might decide to hack up the arsenal-rebuilt, chipped red shellac rifle, rather than choosing the rifle that has had the shellac removed and finished in oil. Lots of ways to look at preservation.

Hacksaws, Dremels, sandpaper show no remorse or conscience. Bubba really doesn't care about restoration or preservation, he wants pretty or tacticool or thinks it some way increases value.

The preservation aspect is more educate those who don't know, before they go down those paths and do the unspeakable. To me, a restored Mosin, is a greasy, flaking shellac refurb, about as far into restoring as I go, wipe the wonderfully funky grease and shellac flakes off, clean, headspace check and enjoy. If I want a real nice pretty finished rifle, there is a whole slew of commercial jobbers out there.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

You don't
gurn

Post by gurn »

Welcome to the club... First things first... with your name and avatar SHOW US THE PICS OF YOU'R CORVETTE!!!! :attn:
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

'Just saw an M91, 1895 Tula described as "refinished to near mint condition." Ruined. :very mad:
gurn

Post by gurn »

djbuck1 wrote:'Just saw an M91, 1895 Tula described as "refinished to near mint condition." Ruined. :very mad:

And I bet they wanted a premium for it too.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would rather sandpaper a tiger's balls!
husker51

Post by husker51 »

And there is always the synthetic stock. Put one of those on if you don't like the way the rifle looks when you take it to the range. You can always put the rifle back in its original wood when you want to. :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
gurn

Post by gurn »

bunkysdad wrote:I would rather sandpaper a tiger's balls!

Yikes! You would only be able to do it one time.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Nope sure havent.