Starting the Semi Auto collection...

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Sharkman

Starting the Semi Auto collection...

Post by Sharkman »

Hey guys,
Now that I am hooked into Russian/ Russian style and foreign weapons I need a semi auto. I know Saiga shotguns and rifles aren't being imported or they weren't last I checked. So the fact that they aren't imported at the moment and they may eventually never come back, should I buy one? I am also looking at VZ. 58s, Century Arms AK47(Red Army Standard) and the AK74. I have looked at Atlantic Firearms as well, specifically the Mini Draco Pistol and the Iraqi Contractor WASR. These are the weapons that I have seen for less than $1,000.

I have also tried to find things such as the FAL, PSL, SVD or the L1A1. These have ranged in price from mid to high hundreds up to $2000 plus.

What do you guys recommend? I have shot many weapons including the FAL, AK47 and the RPD so I'm not worried about recoil or weight.
1929 Izhevsk M91/30 Hex Receiver "Ex-Dragoon"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Starting the Semi Auto collection...

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you want to stay in the Russian line it is the Tokarev SVT 38 or 40. Both are in the $1000.00 to $1500.00 price range.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Semi Auto? M1 Garand, M14, FAL, AK-47, as for the rest...who cares so long as you got the first four.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

As others have already mentioned: AK-47, AK-74, SVT-38, SVT-40 and of course you can never go wrong with the SKS!

Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I would start by getting your feet wet with a Soviet SKS.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Im thinkin long and hard about one of those contractor WASRs myself.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

An SKS would be a good option now that you bring it up. My dad had an SKS and still has a ton of ammo left over. Probably close to 1,000 rounds.

I love the AK series because of how reliable and efficient/ effective they are. I really like under/ side folders. The first AK I got was an Underfolder.

The M1 Garand? I felt that it didn't even need mentioning. Is the Civilian Marksmanship Program a good place to get one or are the nice ones the super expensive ones? This has always been on my list.

The M14. Pretty sure my dad qualified on one of these when he joined the Marines(he's an old dude but scariest guy I know). This is also towards the top of my list. My question for you guys is which one? They have the standard version like the ones seen during Vietnam, Desert Shield/ Storm and Mogadishu. The only other ones that I remotely like are the Socom 16 or the Scout Model but the Standard is probably my favorite. Are the advantages that one offers over the others?

The FAL. One of my favorite battle rifles. I have not found any prices on these that are in the same range. The prices usually have $500+ between them. What do you guys usually pay? I don't need exacts if you don't want to share but a range would be nice.

The SVT is something I will want but it is not top of my list. It's not really in the top 10 either.

Are the SVDs or PSLs nice weapons? I know the PSL was made more or less as a more accurate RPK. What can you guys tell me about the SVD beyond the internet and my Handbook on Soviet Ground Forces?
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Sharkman wrote:The first AK I shit was an Underfolder.
:shock: That must have been very uncomfortable. :big shock:

Seriously though...
Sharkman wrote: The SVT is something I will want but it is not top of my list. It's not really in the top 10 either.
You should find one and give it a try. They're a bit of work maintenance wise but I absolutely love mine. I'd get rid of my AK, SKS, AR and most of my other rifles before I'd part with it. Does a great job of taming the 7.62x54r and is just a beautiful looking rifle. I can shoot it more accurately than my AR or SKS too.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

The Underfolder was not that bad actually. I had gotten my shoulder warmed up before I shit it with some cowboy action, some AR shooting, an MP40, Thompson, the AK and finished it off with an FAL, RPD and a Grease Gun.

Living in East Bum F*ck Vermont(Addison), there aren't many places to find an SVT or even any of these guns. Good thing Im getting a job this summer. It may not pay for everything but I think a Yugo SKS will be my first purchase. I really like the grenade launcher site and the muzzle brake. Not that I'll ever use the GL site but it's really cool looking!

If you guys have anymore ideas, let me know.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Here's another vote for the SKS.. :thumbsup:

But a SVT 40 is like an sks on steroids.. :D

I also have a Swedish Ljungman ag42b but I don't shoot it much.The 6.5 x 55 swede ammo is pretty expensive. :vsad:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sharkman wrote:The Underfolder was not that bad actually. I had gotten my shoulder warmed up before I shit it with some cowboy action, some AR shooting, an MP40, Thompson, the AK and finished it off with an FAL, RPD and a Grease Gun.

Living in East Bum F*ck Vermont(Addison), there aren't many places to find an SVT or even any of these guns. Good thing Im getting a job this summer. It may not pay for everything but I think a Yugo SKS will be my first purchase. I really like the grenade launcher site and the muzzle brake. Not that I'll ever use the GL site but it's really cool looking!

If you guys have anymore ideas, let me know.
Stop complaining, you could be living in New York.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Stop complaining, you could be living in New York.
Or California. Don't know which one's worse-only that I'm glad I'm not in either.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

I'm glad I don't live in either. I use to want to live in New York but you know. Same with California.

Like I said earlier, I found a place selling Yugo SKSs which comes with an accesory kit. I really like the look of this SKS as well as the Soviet SKS. Do you guys recommend one over the other or are they no different?

Garands are pretty expensive last I checked. The only ones I've seen that won't take a long time to get after I get a job are the field grade and service grade on The CMP. They do say things such as metal pitting, the stock has been replaced, etc. Should I try to get an all original?

M14s/ M1As are really cool. Never shot or held one but I've always wanted one. What do you guys prefer? Original M14 or M1A? I'm okay with either. Are there any after market accessories you guys use?

Does Century Arms make a nice AK? I have seen a lot of good reviews buy people such as James Yaeger and Hickok45. I am also just realizing that I missed the joke with the Underfolder.

Is there any specific type of FAL I should look for?

Is the VZ.2008 better than the VZ.58?

There is a very unique gun store maybe 45 minutes from my Dads house in NH. Last time I was there he had all of the weapons discussed in this thread and more.

Have any of you guys have experience with the SVD or the PSL? I like those as well because they make me think of a modern SVD. What do you guys think?
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I have a Romanian built PSL from the Cugir arsenal. Ten rounds of x54r as fast as you can pull the trigger... what's NOT to love? The thin barrel does heat up quickly with rapid fire, but if you want to spray ammo then a DMR isn't the rifle you want to use. Mine will hit a pie plate all day long at 300 yards with surplus ammo. My little Romanian hottie prefers Czech silver tip but will eat whatever I feed her.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
thughes

Post by thughes »

Sharkman wrote:Like I said earlier, I found a place selling Yugo SKSs which comes with an accesory kit. I really like the look of this SKS as well as the Soviet SKS. Do you guys recommend one over the other or are they no different?
Yugo's typically do not have the chrome bore of the Russian and Chinese flavors so if you go for the cool one with the grenade launcher make sure to take a good look at the bore.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Thanks for the info websterz!! I have been trying to find one to look at for a few weeks now. What you said was the info I wanted to find out so thank you very much.

I wasn't sure if they had the chrome barrel or not. Next time I go to the store I'll see if he has any and I'll check them out but otherwise I want one of the Soviet ones. I know he had a few of those.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sharkman wrote:I'm glad I don't live in either. I use to want to live in New York but you know. Same with California.

Like I said earlier, I found a place selling Yugo SKSs which comes with an accesory kit. I really like the look of this SKS as well as the Soviet SKS. Do you guys recommend one over the other or are they no different?

Garands are pretty expensive last I checked. The only ones I've seen that won't take a long time to get after I get a job are the field grade and service grade on The CMP. They do say things such as metal pitting, the stock has been replaced, etc. Should I try to get an all original?

M14s/ M1As are really cool. Never shot or held one but I've always wanted one. What do you guys prefer? Original M14 or M1A? I'm okay with either. Are there any after market accessories you guys use?

Does Century Arms make a nice AK? I have seen a lot of good reviews buy people such as James Yaeger and Hickok45. I am also just realizing that I missed the joke with the Underfolder.

Is there any specific type of FAL I should look for?

Is the VZ.2008 better than the VZ.58?

There is a very unique gun store maybe 45 minutes from my Dads house in NH. Last time I was there he had all of the weapons discussed in this thread and more.

Have any of you guys have experience with the SVD or the PSL? I like those as well because they make me think of a modern SVD. What do you guys think?
Military parts kit built onto a commercial semi auto receiver. Closest I can get to the US issue M14 in NY and stay out of prison.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sonny wrote:Here's another vote for the SKS.. :thumbsup:

I also have a Swedish Ljungman ag42b but I don't shoot it much.The 6.5 x 55 swede ammo is pretty expensive. :vsad:
Hey Sonny, 6.5x55 is a breeze to reload. Have we seen that ag42b? Beautiful rifles.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Thank JYD!!! How far are you from the border? You could always move to VT and live a better life. I'm going to go poor with the guns I want to buy. Do you like that type of M14 more than an M1A?
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:
Sonny wrote:Here's another vote for the SKS.. :thumbsup:

Hey Sonny, 6.5x55 is a breeze to reload. Have we seen that ag42b? Beautiful rifles.
I posted pics before but then I deleted them anyway here's a few more.

Yes they are a beautiful rifle but the ammo is expensive.The best I can get is Sellier &Bellot at $29.99 per box of 20 and they go quick in the Ljungman. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.