Not a sub $100 Mosin anywhere

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbeck1112

Not a sub $100 Mosin anywhere

Post by sbeck1112 »

Hi, Im new. Don't own a mosin ... yet. In the market though. (1) because I dig the history (2) because they are extremly affordable (3) I'm in the market for SHTF fire arms and I'm lacking a high caliber rifle with cheap accessible ammunition. But looking around, I hear of people picking them up for under $100 from crate shipments. I have yet to find any at that price that I can physically hold/inspect before buying. I understand that most surplus is being held in Russia due to the Russian and Syrian conflict. Is this true? Will new crates be shipped in afterwards? Or am I jumping on the mosin train to late in the game to pick one or a few up at that price? I need a project, and restoring milsups has peaked my interest lately. Anyone knowledgeable on this subject or know of a resource/other message board I should check?
racerguy00

Re: Not a sub $100 Mosin anywhere

Post by racerguy00 »

I haven't seen a standard direct-from-the-crate sub 100 mosin I a year and a half or more. Prices are more in the 150 and upnrange usually. Online they can be found cheaper.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Welcome to the forum! :vcool:

Local Fleet Farm sells them all day long for $139... May not be under $100, but it's still a great value & about the best deal your gonna find on a centerfire rifle that shoots cheap & plentiful ammo.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, you want a Mosin for less than $100 from a dealer? build a time machine back to the last decade :lol: Good news is you can still find one for less than $200 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

And remember...folk here are into "preservation", not "restoration". Not sure what you mean, but when you get it, ckean it gently, protect it, and shoot hit.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

JayPoc wrote:And remember...folk here are into "preservation", not "restoration". Not sure what you mean, but when you get it, ckean it gently, protect it, and shoot hit.
This is important. We do NOT condone "restoring" milsurps.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I believe it was Classic or AIM, one of the two, that had $99 Mosins with some wood issues but none that I saw that were serious. I think they called them something like "B" Grade. May want to keep an eye out at those two places. You never know what they will come up with. Those were some of the new Russian Tulak'y imports I think. Other than that I haven't seen a Mosin priced under $100 in almost two years.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you reset your max price to 200 bucks, you will be able to find some nice rifles, but you won't need to restore anything, these are cold war refurbished and then packed away. They just need a owner and a good cleaning and mechanical checkup, then some sight adjustment work at the range
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The secondary market has mosins for between $100-$150. Check your local classifieds, local forums and armslist.

Buying online gets a better price but then add in shipping and FFL fees if you do not have your 03FFL and it soon becomes a better option to buy locally where you can see the rifle before you buy it.
Kollaa kestää
AJ333

Post by AJ333 »

Prob not gonna find one sub $100. That said, still the best value goin for a good center fire rifle. Couple that with the history interest, the climbing market, and the cheapest ammo around and you've still got a winner. It pains me when I hear the old timers talking about the rediculously low prices they use to get on Garands and Mausers. Just remember, you'll someday be that guy when talkin about your $150 mosin.

And keep in mind, $150 out the door for a turnkey, battle ready rifle. If your thinkin about dumpin hundreds more into it in upgrades and bubbafication - just leave it for us and get a modern rifle. If it's the history you enjoy, don't destroy it.

Good luck! And if you find a line on sub $100 Mosins let me know - I'll take a crate or 2. :thumbsup:
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

$100 and sub 100 are almost impossible to find these days. About a month ago I was in a local pawn shop and bought this 1939 Finn with a two piece stock for $100 out the door. (BTW a good friend owns the shop)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
not a sniper

Post by not a sniper »

1 bought a 1933 Finnish M27 for 125 yesterday.
Welcome to Tennessee, the patron State of shooting stuff. -Bob Lee Swagger
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You didn't buy it, you stole it. :shock:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

not a sniper wrote:1 bought a 1933 Finnish M27 for 125 yesterday.
That's called an idiot seller falling down on the job of researching what they are selling, good for you, and hell with them if they don't do their homework. Good deal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

qz2026 wrote:You didn't buy it, you stole it. :shock:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: For sure :o
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

If you don't mind a beat up rifle you can find chinese type 53 rifles in the $99 range.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When you live in the present it is real hard to find anything priced in the past. Wake up and go pay the price to play or stay off the play ground I guess? Bill :wink:
Bufford

Post by Bufford »

I figure I'd throw another bone on the pile here, check your local Pawn shops, I found my 1944 Tula ex-sniper I posted on here for $160.00 out the door, you can find some deals if you put in the time to check all your available sources. :thumbsup:
JIMPARKS

Post by JIMPARKS »

tantor

Post by tantor »

I've looked for a long time for one. Cabela's had them before Christmas for $139 and Gander Mountain for $169 but,alas, broke. However, my local Gander had 2 left for $199 with 10% off Friday, $190.79 out the door. One of those 2 is in my possession now. The cheapest I found on GunBroker was about $100 and it had wood damage- it looked like it had been in a fire and the $30 for shipping and $20 for FFL. Look around and buy when you're happy.