It's official here in Dallas

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jones0430

It's official here in Dallas

Post by jones0430 »

The Cabela's that I frequent is finally out of Mosin Nagants. The drought begins.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
djbuck1

Re: It's official here in Dallas

Post by djbuck1 »

jones0430 wrote:The Cabela's that I frequent is finally out of Mosin Nagants. The drought begins.
Don't give up. I have been assured at least three times in the past year that the one in Hamburg, PA was on it's "final shipment, with no more to come." I'm not saying it won't eventually happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Another local big box just made the decision not to sell them anymore. My impression was that they could still get them in if they wanted to.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sooner or later it has to run out, what you see today is nothing like what we had 10 years ago.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Well, it just means that all those bubbas will have to face the cold truth that with the hack jobs they did they have a $100 rifle at best, when the rest of us have $500 to $1000 rifles.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

There are four '42-'43 Izhevsks left on the rack in Hamburg from the $139 sale. More expected in the New Year. Heck they may be in the back right now just waiting for the post-holiday price hike back up to $199.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Trust me Cabela's source still has many more to go through and if you went to the Humongous Oak's Gun Show over the weekend there were at least a hundred or more there with prices from $130 to $250 depending on who you bought from. Not many were walking around so there are plenty left from that show alone I know. I have had actually stopped even looking at them as I have more than enough at about a half dozen left after selling off a bunch due to inflated prices over what I paid for them in bulk.

Oh by the way have you heard what Chicken Little is saying about the sky? :lol: Bill
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Yes I have. We still won't have any Russian imports, however Polish, Rumanian, Bulgarian, Czech, former Yugoslavia, and Ukraine can still import. That only means a tightening of the belt. Even that may influence market price.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The Gander Mountain's in Arlington and Fort Worth have had 6-8 sitting out when I've been in there. I don't bother looking at them since everything there has stupid prices.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Stack of them in the LGS. Nothing caught my eye.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Fear not, the only rifles lately that came from direct from Russia were the Molots. The refurbs we know so well came out of the Ukrain.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

One thing to keep in mind is this is the time of year when a lot more of these are bought as gifts. What we see after the first of the year is going to be more telling about the market.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Cabela's at Sidney, NE. had a couple dozen on the rack. Four of them were exsnipers. All 43' and 44' dated with a prewar stock, 2 wartime stocks and a postwar stock. All but one were counter bored. Nothing particularly outstanding about them enough to make me part with $140. The bore condition in all four was good to very good. All appeared to be of Molot origin judging by the familiar stamping on the bolts. (I didn't take the handguard off to look for the Molot stamp)

No hex top receivers in the bunch. The oldest one was 1938 Tula.

Going to Omaha this weekend! Have to check out the pawnshops! :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Update from Hamburg, PA: All out. No more coming for the foreseeable future. They want to sell them, but they can't get them. Rack has been given over to black rifles.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Fred_G wrote:Stack of them in the LGS. Nothing caught my eye.
Same here. Almost always '42 or '42 Ishevsks.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

I'm getting out of the MN game and am wanting to sell my 4 91/30's but this has me rethinking the situation. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger, as the saying goes.
Jon
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

musketjon wrote:I'm getting out of the MN game and am wanting to sell my 4 91/30's but this has me rethinking the situation. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger, as the saying goes.
Jon
Hey, I would be quiet about that. Those are high capacity assault bolt action. And with a bayonet... :big shock:

Keep them or sell them, your choice, but if I was you, I would hold on to them. In 5, 10, 15 years, you might have a good investment.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Fred_G wrote:
musketjon wrote:I'm getting out of the MN game and am wanting to sell my 4 91/30's but this has me rethinking the situation. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger, as the saying goes.
Jon
Hey, I would be quiet about that. Those are high capacity assault bolt action. And with a bayonet... :big shock:

Keep them or sell them, your choice, but if I was you, I would hold on to them. In 5, 10, 15 years, you might have a good investment.
Selling makes no sense to me, especially now. While we are not yet facing a severe shortage, the rising prices and disappearance of these rifles from the big box chains give one pause. Yes, yes, yes, I know. 17 million manufactured. Lots available at gun shows, etc. But there is a finite supply (no matter how large). And I think that Bubba & Co. have made heavy inroads into collectible rifles through purchase and subsequent "improvement."

While we cannot know the number, ol' Bubba, friends and family grab these off the rack and take them home to "refinish them." Those rifles are pretty much lost forever, especially if the "refinishing" affects the metal. As JYD has said elsewhere, you're not bringing it back from that. An example of Bubba's handiwork is on display in the "1936 Tula 91/30 SA/Finn PUOLUSTUSLAITOS" thread.

And unless you are faced with one of what JYD refers to as The Three Ds (debt, divorce, death), why would you want to sell any firearm? Reflect on the "I wish that I had never sold ___." that show up here from time to time. :2cents:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I will make the rounds and calls later this week and report back on the findings...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Musketjon, Why do you want out of the Mosin "game" unless it is just a game. Don't you like shooting them? Don't you like the history? Don't you like the fact they didn't cost you an arm and a leg? And besides, how much is it going to help you in life to sell them? Heck I might have just given you all the reasons to bail out. Only you can decide. Best of luck. :P
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Speaking of Gander Mountain, there's a new store not far from me, do they all have MilSurps ? :o
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.