WWII mosin production video- questions

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
81turbota

WWII mosin production video- questions

Post by 81turbota »

Hey all, found this video of Mosin production, pretty cool!

http://youtu.be/JPowXmHgEXY

Question- towards the end a soldier fires one, then re cocks the firing pin before opening the bolt. Personal technique? Were the soldiers trained to do so?
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WWII mosin production video- questions

Post by Longcolt44 »

81turbota wrote:Hey all, found this video of Mosin production, pretty cool!

Question- towards the end a soldier fires one, then re cocks the firing pin before opening the bolt. Personal technique? Were the soldiers trained to do so?
Can't help you on the bolt thing. I slept through that part of boot camp.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have only seen it done in this same video, but did he know something special? I keep forgetting to try this.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Not sure if the soldiers were trained to do this or if anyone would even know but I suspect he's doing it to make it easier to open the bolt after firing since these cock on opening and would be harder to do in the prone position. Notice he cocks it and flips the bolt up with ease using only the side of his index finger. Otherwise you'd have to lift up your elbow to cock it.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Looks like zeebill hired some help for his shop :chuckles:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

not too mention how easy he pulled the cocking mechanism back as well. I'll have to try that next time out.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

By re-cocking it relieves pressure on the bolt & makes it easier to manipulate... Especially if your intent on maintaining the rifle on your shoulder through the process of chambering the next round. On another note; Try it the next time you get sticky bolt before you reach for that 2x4 to beat the bolt open.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is a great idea Ron.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Rongo wrote:

By re-cocking it relieves pressure on the bolt & makes it easier to manipulate... Especially if your intent on maintaining the rifle on your shoulder through the process of chambering the next round. On another note; Try it the next time you get sticky bolt before you reach for that 2x4 to beat the bolt open.
That is a great suggestion! Hadn't given it a thought. :thumbsup:
YESSIREE

Post by YESSIREE »

When I shoot mine in the prone I re-cock as shown in video. I found this allows me to move around much less. Also, with bad arm this makes the shooting day more enjoyable.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:That is a great idea Ron.
Fellow member entropy shared that little tidbit when we where out shooting... Works pretty well actually.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

As a lefty, this makes it so much easier to cycle the bolt with my left hand reaching over the rifle.
Kollaa kestää
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

Lee, I'm a lefty too but I have been spoiled with silky smooth bolts. It's not smooth like an Enfield (cock on close and a turn down bolt aren't lefty friendly), but I never had an issue :)
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I'm shooting this weekend in a "Military Shoot" and will practice this technique................might help....then again I shoot for crap standing :chuckles: OR prone for that matter with a Mosin (no bipod or scope) :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Lee-online wrote:As a lefty, this makes it so much easier to cycle the bolt with my left hand reaching over the rifle.
Ahhh... The Southpaw issue syndrome. I know that well. Wasn't comfortable shooting a right-hand designed gun left-handed so I made a point of shooting it right hand only. I was surprised how quick I took to it and now it's the preferred way to shoot a rifle for me. It's fun to shoot ambidextrous. :biggrin:

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

TopperT wrote:I'm shooting this weekend in a "Military Shoot" and will practice this technique................might help....then again I shoot for crap standing :chuckles: OR prone for that matter with a Mosin (no bipod or scope) :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Buy a few crates of ammo & shoot it up... Your skills will improve I guarantee it. :thumbsup:

"Dang that entropy"
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

I actually find it more awkward to pull straight back on that bully of a cocking piece than to actually just exert the extra force to operate the bolt in the usual fashion.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

FR0STY54R wrote:I actually find it more awkward to pull straight back on that bully of a cocking piece than to actually just exert the extra force to operate the bolt in the usual fashion.
I would have to agree... The only time I ever do it is when sticky bolt rears it's ugly head. :angry4:

I still have plenty of Mosins that have yet to visit the range since I got them... Even after a thorough cleaning some of them can & do become temperamental.

"Dang that entropy"
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Rongo wrote:
FR0STY54R wrote:I actually find it more awkward to pull straight back on that bully of a cocking piece than to actually just exert the extra force to operate the bolt in the usual fashion.
I would have to agree... The only time I ever do it is when sticky bolt rears it's ugly head. :angry4:

I still have plenty of Mosins that have yet to visit the range since I got them... Even after a thorough cleaning some of them can & do become temperamental.
I know exactly what you mean. I have gotten to the point where I just replace the stiff bolt with my well worn in and super smooth bolt from one of my other rifles whilst shooting. Works great for me although I'm sure others would be turned off because of the potential headspace problems. I've had no issues so far haha.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

One can still easily check headspace before sending rounds down range & it is something I would strongly recommend. If I do run into a rifle that is abnormally sticky it gives me a challenge to get it running right. What's the point if you can't trust the weapon to perform on it's own merit? Sometimes running multiple rounds through it will allow it to smooth out; Other times some JB bore paste in the chamber is the solution.

The true test to see if you have a properly clean & sticky free chamber is shooting some Czech light ball in your rifle. Those will seize a bolt up right quick. :lol:

"Dang that entropy"