Hunting with my PU

MeatMarket

Hunting with my PU

Post by MeatMarket »

I dropped this beast this morning in my woods. He weighed in at 210lbs with an 8 point rack. That's pretty big for a southern deer (yeah I know you yanks are laughing :lol: ) I was using S&B 180gr SP in my M91/30 PU that I got from Rguns. I got home from the night-shift and got into my stand at about 7:30 just as the sun was peaking out. This deer walked out of the woodline after 5 minutes in the stand and I watched him mill about for 10 minutes before I could get a good shot. Finally he turns a bit; he's facing me at an angle and I slowly squeeze the trigger. He drops like a rock from 75 yards away, then stumbles up to dash a few yards before collapsing. There's one small entry wound just inside the shoulder going toward the vitals with no exit wound. I had a time trying to get him in my truck by myself since he out-weighed me. He had some scarring on the side of his neck where he had been in some fights at some point. I'm getting him mounted. Enjoy the pics.
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG
photo (3).JPG
photo (4).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
WeldonHunter

Re: Hunting with my PU

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sweet! Today is the first day of modern firearms here. I'm thinking of using my PU this year for the first time instead of the VZ24 I've been using. I'm a yank living in the south so I know what you mean about the size of deer up north. They may be a bit smaller here but they do taste a lot better in my opinion. Maybe it's just my old senses getting weaker but they are a lot less gamy tasting down here then I remember. To me it tastes almost like beef.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Our season has been open since August and I've always seen something when I've gone out, just nothing I could or wanted to shoot. This guy is going to feed me for a while. I'll likely not buy beef again until late next year.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Our Bow season started earlier this month and goes until the end of Jan. Primitive arms started about a week ago and there's a few different segments through the whole season. Today is the start of modern firearms still hunt which means no dogs and that goes until Dec. 3 and from the Dec. 4th to Jan. 11th it's with or without dogs. I have deer here around the house every night. They cleaned all the lower leaves off my peach trees and the dog runs them off when she feels up to it. They also come up here for the acorns. I have 70+ year old Oaks surrounding my house and they've been dropping acorns for weeks now. I'm listening to them drop on the tin roofs of my out building as I type. Plenty of food for them around here.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

My land is made up of thick old woods mixed of oaks, ironwood, pine, and cedar among others, situated in the middle of large farmer's fields interconnected with other patches of woods. The deer go out to feed in the fields and bed down on my property. I jumped some that were bedding down under a felled tree right in my back yard last year. Even seen tracks in front of my front porch. The spot I hunt is just inside the woodline overlooking a semi-clearing about 80 yards long 60 yards wide. I don't go too deep in the woods so as not to disturb the resident deer. Several heavily traveled deer paths pass through that spot here and intersect and the sign is everywhere. This is the first deer I've killed on this property since buying it and the first time I've shot anything with this rifle.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Nice to see these old rifles earning their keep and putting food on the table. :thumbsup:

Archery season stared a week ago and I think muzzle loader just started and rifle wont start until the first Monday after thanksgiving. The Monday where no one shows up at work and the schools are off. :mrgreen:
Kollaa kestää
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Man, I couldn't stand to have such a short season. I can barely wait through the 6 month off season. Another reason I don't want to leave SC.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice going for sure. Seeing that reminds me of the backstrap you BBQ'd for me Last year. My mouth waters. I don't suppose you could overnight a couple steaks could you? :wink: :wink:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

You'll have to come back down sometime for a visit. I've learn't a thing or two more about cooking meat :BBQ2:
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

awesome buck great job and with a mosin saweet. rifle season opens for us november 8th i canot wait and we got our new property to try out and ive not bowhunted this season so the itch is huge>
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

The mount came back today. I need to get a plaque for it.
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Good looking Mount!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: