What turned you on to these rifles?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinmike17

What turned you on to these rifles?

Post by mosinmike17 »

Mosin shooters and collectors are a rare breed. Some of us are looked at as cheap s.o.b's, others are looked as Bubbas in Denial, and in some rare cases, you might find respect for us among the shooting communities. Our rifles are considered "ugly" and "russian junk" as well as other things by people who I consider either ignorant in the sense they haven't shot one, or are too scared to actually shoot one.

Not to go on a rant, but it seems the shooting community has turned into a conglomeration of light weight carbon stocks and alloy metalled barrels. Those of us who shoot Mosins (and that doesn't mean we don't own more modern guns in many cases) are obviously hold outs of an era where things were made right. So that brings me to my question, what about this rifle when you first came across it made you pick it up and fill out the yellow form to take it home?

For me it was the look of it before the price. The history behind it, and the way the light hits the shellac. When I was a kid, I used to draw a lot, and some times I would even draw rifles (some people think that's a messed up kid, so I won't elaborate) and in my mind, the Mosin was the rifle I was drawing and I didn't know it until I first saw one. The way the stock is modeled, where every piece is, where every curve in the woodwork was made, you get the point. Shooting it and feeling the power of the kick was just the icing on the cake. The rifle today is a pure dark horse to the lesser minded fool on the range..you see it in the look on their face when they see the 1-2" groupings that junk rifle just put on the paper.

What was it for some of yall?
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What turned you on to these rifles?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In a word, history, first I learned about the history, and then I sought out the relics of it. Modern Remchesters do nothing for me.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

For me, it was a trip to Williamsburg, Va for an Easter weekend. I watched my sister-n-law buy my nephews so toy muskets for about $60 for the two. I had just seen a sign previously in the week at a pawnshop that said "Russian Rifles $89.99" So when I got home I checked it out. I could not believe I could get such a nice rifle for $92 OTD. I liked it so much I bought my second one a week or two later. Then I read more and more about the history and I was hooked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:In a word, history, first I learned about the history, and then I sought out the relics of it. Modern Remchesters do nothing for me.
I have to agree with that. When I picked up my first one it was a 1942. I'm not going to try to make up a history behind it, but in my mind it felt like I was holding something that went from the factory straight to the run on Berlin. The amount of stock repairs that were done to it says it definitely had its day but of course I can never prove anything. Just the history and possibilities based on the year are a definite win factor for these rifles.

Jumper, that's awesome. If those pictured are the first two, great work.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Love at first sight, and love of the history. Living history in your hands. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

mosinmike17 wrote:
Jumper, that's awesome. If those pictured are the first two, great work.
Yep the first two. A 1940 Tula 91/30 and a 1946 Izhevsk M44 :biggrin:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

For me it was a trip to a new gun store and a sign next to these old wood red guns that said, "ammo $2.99 for 20". Then I went on the computer to see what I bought. The history got me.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Mine was a Cabela's flyer in the local newspaper. Amongst all the $400 and up rifles and shotguns was a small photo of a "Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62X54r" for $99.99. Even in newspaper print, the rifle looked amazing, ancient and "been there, done that". I went out that evening after work and looked at the display model. I decided I had to do it. When the store clerk brought out MY Mosin, it was pretty amazing. I mean, yeah, I know, it's a $100 rifle. But that's not how I saw it. I've been hooked since!

As far as modern rifles, here is what I plan on competing with this summer:

Long range, high power - 1943 91/30:

Trap - 1956 Mossberg 200K pump:

Rimfire - of course, the 1946 Mossberg 44US(b):

Now if things start going south, I do have reserve :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
dou44

Post by dou44 »

for years i would not look at them because i liked my k98's so much but desided to add one to my collection.it took a while but now i really like the rifle and the history and they get along with my k98's in the safe.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I like them because of the history..and ive always wanted a Rifle with history. and for 100-150$ how can you go wrong? :vcool: :mrgreen:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

By the way, I filed the Cabela's ad away with the receipt and paperwork for the rifle. That way, when all of our great-great-grandchildren are on this forum and talking about how 91/30's are on sale at Big 15 (Big 5 takes over most sporting good outlets in the future) for $1,999.99, my great-great-grandson can post the ad and watch everyone drool over $99 Mosins :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

MN Fan wrote:By the way, I filed the Cabela's ad away with the receipt and paperwork for the rifle. That way, when all of our great-great-grandchildren are on this forum and talking about how 91/30's are on sale at Big 15 (Big 5 takes over most sporting good outlets in the future) for $1,999.99, my great-great-grandson can post the ad and watch everyone drool over $99 Mosins :)
Now that's some foresight. And yes, to have a rifle that most likely shot someone or at someone during wartime is also pretty cool.
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I'll admit it. I wanted a cheap rifle. Maybe a bunch. I'd seen them and didn't know what to think of them. Then I did my research and the more I saw that they could be as accurate as any gun, and be cheap, I finally pulled the trigger and was instantly hooked. I love the look and feel of them. Wood and steel. Just got a new over/under shotgun and it just feels so flimsy compared to that old Russian beast.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I saw a rifle in an office once. All kinds of marks on it. I knew it was a Mosin but no idea what model or what everything meant. I started to google as best as I could. I didn't even think about trying to buy it. He had no idea what it was. I bought the $99 Cabelas special also. I found a forum got dumped on. But used the info as best as I could. When I discovered the history of that rifle in the office I had to have it. I thought they all went for $100 :lol: and that's what I offered he said you can have it I don't want your money. So I got my M91 Tikka AZF. :D :D

Of course that cost me way more in the long run. :toast:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

History and affordability. The price is right, the history was rich, and I had heard the rifle was a blast to shoot.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

For me it was fellow members entropy & White Horseradish. We went to a gunshow together & they convinced me to buy a Romanian m44 for $80. Now up to this point I was a Southpaw shooter & avoided Bolt guns for that very reason. Entropy reasoned that even though it's awkward to do... you can still shoot it. Naw... If I'm gonna shoot it, I'll shoot right hand as intended. I bought two more Mosin's soon thereafter & it was after owning 3 that I finally got out to try them for the first time. Shot them righty & never looked back. Now I have a bunch of Mosins, shoot right handed exclusively & all I have to say is "Dang that entropy"!!!!!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

about five years ago a good friend "the one I bought my '44 M44 off of for 75 bucks" said another guy we work with was selling a few of them. I went with him to pick his up. I could have bought one or five at the time but for some reason didnt. I still to this day do not know what stopped me. anyway just this last November I was talking about guns with a co worker/friend he brought up that he had a Mosin Nagant. I didnt know to much about them but he sparked my interest. I seen and gander mt. add "Mosin Nagant 91/30 for 99.99 day after black friday sell" I hinted around to my wife to go the morning of the sell and pick one up for me. the day came and my wife didnt get out of bed in time to go stand in line. Later in the day she called gander mt, and asked if they had anymore left. they said their was only two. oh well I thought. my wife felt bad for not going so a few days later we stopped in a Big R store and they had one for 119. I had the sells man hand it to me. I WAS HOOKED from that point on. the feel of the rifle in my hands was amazing. I then learned as much of the history as I could and this forum has helped in more was than I can count. I admit when I got my first rifle Youtube was leading me in a directions of Customizing and modernizing. but this forum quickly turned my thinking around and I truly will be forever grateful for that. Now I have 8 and I dont see a end to this anytime soon... thanks again The Russian Mosin Nagant Forum and everyone on here.... from your friend Carter
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

History primarily. But the price didn't hurt either, my first (notice first) M44 was the $79 gateway drug. :biggrin:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Gateway drug? Please, as I recall the first hit was always free. :brolleyes: No but seriously, great responses. Here's some Mosin p0rn that's probably already been posted.

pacanis

Post by pacanis »

What turned me on to these... that's a good question.
My first MN was also an M44. It was my birthday and I found myself in a gunshop that has a lot of milsurps. And out of all of them I left with the 1953 M44, what their help called Bulgarian and I later found out was Romanian :roll: So I knew absolutely nothing about these rifles other than they were basically Russian and I had heard the name mentioned before on that Topshot program. Once I researched a little history and all the variations I bought my second and third within days of my first. It has snowballed from there and taken me into other milsurp weapons as well. There's just something about an old bolt-action military rifle...
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.