I just bought myself a PSL for 565 OTD!!!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
uberjon

I just bought myself a PSL for 565 OTD!!!

Post by uberjon »

So I own a lot of mosins (22 of them now, 3 m91's, 2 t53's, 1 m38, 5 m44's, and 11 91/30s) but I've wanted a semi auto 54r for a while. I went into a pawn shop and they had one for 625 dollars. I looked at it and it had a really messed up scope mount base that looked like it was missing part and they tried to drill and pry it off possibly. I wavered for a while because I honestly knew nothing about them other than they were semi auto and 54r. I was under the impression that the damage was going to make the mount unusable and talked them down to 565 out the door (529 something plus tax) but after talking to someone from a facebook group I was delighted to find that it's only cosmetic and will still 100 percent work to mount on. So here it is in all its glory. Also just to be sure if anyone could verify that the drilling in the back hole that is dangerously close to being through the mount part and into receiver (I don't think it is but it's close) is still safe? I was told by someone with several PSL's that it was not something I needed to worry about but I wouldn't mine verification from others. I wouldn't think so since that area had a rivet in it. Also opinions on how good I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BenedictGomez

Re: I just bought myself a PSL for 565 OTD!!!

Post by BenedictGomez »

Walking into a pawn shop and finding a PSL.

I'll take, "Things that will never happen to me for $800, Alex".

I would absolutely love one of these someday.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I'd like to get my hands on the Bubba that took a drill to that scope mount....

Very good score on the PSL. Yes, you got a good deal! Sorry, but I know nothing about the scope base.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

Well it's turning out to not be AS good of a deal as I thought. The trunnions are welded to the receiver which is apparently a bad thing and I'll have to get it checked out by a gunsmith according to the few ak experts that I showed some internal pics to. It's still a very good deal and SHOULD still be pretty safe to shoot according to most but bubba went rampant on this gun apparently. As long as I get the go ahead from the gunsmith that my hands and face won't blow up then I'll be happy as I'll have a really fun shooter but this gun will never be a collector's item (not that I expected that from the start really when I bought it knowing of the scope rail).
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

headspace checks out though which is good. I bought a set of gauges from a facebook user whose name I won't mention as I see there is a competitor as a sponsor, but they were easy to use on the psl since they can slip in under the extractor so that is at least a good thing.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Congrats. on even finding a PSL for decent price in A regular store. I looked in pawn and gun shops for a couple of years for one in decent shape for a good price. NO luck ,so when an on line dist put their VEPRS on sale I bought a 7.62X39 and a 7.62X54r w/ 20'' barrels . They were $499.00 plus shipping . The only disadvantage to the VEPR is the cost of mags. @$44.99 for a 10 round 7.62X54R and $39.99 30 round 7.62X39. The 20 round 7.62X54R @ $49.99 has been on back order for a year and they don't make a 30 round 7.62X54R at all,which is to damn heavy anyhow I guess. The VEPR AK47 design is a good one and comes with a side scope mount making it very accurate. Better than my other AK47s' W/ 16". barrels. I haven't figured how to send a picture by computer with my new camera yet. I just got a new Toshiba 8.1 windows which is still above my skill level (windows XP) and a new digital cannon makes me even more behind the times. Have to break down a pay some kid for lessons I guess! Good Luck :thumbsup: JGC