1943 Tula PU Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Totten86

1943 Tula PU Sniper

Post by Totten86 »

Hey guys,
This is my first post here. I'm looking at buying a 43 Tula arsenal refinished PU(SVT) sniper. My concerns are the scope number on the barrel shank. The "font"/ style appears off, especially considering most Tula's weren't even marked on the barrel. Another concern is that there is no factory marking on the SVT scope. I'm not sure if it's a big deal , but want to make sure as this is my first sniper. Also the post war stock shows a lot of wear. Should the shellac not be in better condition, in a post war stock? I have to order the rifle, so the only pics are the ones the seller sent me. Also it's not in the US so there are no import marks.

Thanks
Taylor
See photos on next post
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 1943 Tula PU Sniper

Post by Darryl »

Look at the top of the barrel under the hand guard. Probably a Molot PU sniper.

Where is the rifle located? If you are inside the US and the rifle outside, it probably won't be worth importing it (unless you get it for very cheap).

Snipers handled by Molot are the only Russian PU snipers that have the Tulas marked with the scope numbers on the side of the barrel shank (above the wood line on the left side). So if it is a Molot, then it is "correct" for a "Molot" sniper.

If it is not import marked, then it is hard to say what it is. In the US, the import marks tell a story on these rifles.

Dolk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The condition of shellac on the stocks are not consistent with many of the recent imported snipers. Many factors could contribute: poor pre-cleaning before application, poor application, contaminated application, improper storage, age, etc.

In other words, it is typical to see flaking shellac.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

dolk wrote: Snipers handled by Molot are the only Russian PU snipers that have the Tulas marked with the scope numbers on the side of the barrel shank (above the wood line on the left side). So if it is a Molot, then it is "correct" for a "Molot" sniper.
Dolk

Not true. While uncommon, there have been more than a couple of RGuns snipers and older imported ex-snipers with the scope serial on barrel.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... per-rifles

Start at post 14 through the end for several.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Knuckledragger wrote:
dolk wrote: Snipers handled by Molot are the only Russian PU snipers that have the Tulas marked with the scope numbers on the side of the barrel shank (above the wood line on the left side). So if it is a Molot, then it is "correct" for a "Molot" sniper.
Dolk

Not true. While uncommon, there have been more than a couple of RGuns snipers and older imported ex-snipers with the scope serial on barrel.

One out of how many thousands?

Maybe a few, but very few Tulas had scope marks on the barrel shank. I have only seen photos of two myself. The fact is, they didn't regularly mark Tulas on the side of the left barrel shank ..... except .... for Molot

Out of 10's of thousands of rifles, only a couple non-Molot Tula snipers have scope numbers on them.

It is not a "Russian" vs "Ukranian" thing either. The new Tulsky snipers coming out lately from Russia don't have the scope numbers forced marked on the Tulas either. So, only Molot Tulas do regularly.

Only Molot regularly marks the Tula scope numbers. This is why it is suspected that Molot force marked those rifles. It is a possibility that they also put those rifle together from real sniper rifles and real parts, but that is more of a reach. Without any evidence one way or another, it will always be a an unknown.

But only Molot snipers "regularly" have the Tulas with the scope number stamped on the side of the barrel. But I wouldn't be afraid of owning a Molot sniper rifle. Everything is correct on them (except that one question).

Dolk

When I say regularly, I mean at least a 99.9% of the time. Mis-marked or accidental marks will always happen, but that hardly justifies it as a common or even rare occurrence. They are usually screw ups and not part of the "standard" processes.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

That stock could very well be "Late War" pattern. Judging from the shellac condition and what appears to be some old, deep scratches below the rear sight. I know almost nothing about the sniper rifles, but just because it has pressed in escutcheons doesn't mean it's exclusively post war manufacture. It was done late war aswell.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

I was addressing the fact where you underlined the word, "only" when referenced to Molot. That was misinformation-which you readily admitted to in your follow up post by saying you've seen pictures of a couple.

Not being argumentative-Just trying to keep the information correct.
For the record-I own three times as many RGuns snipers as Molot...so I'm not defending Molot.
dolk wrote:
Knuckledragger wrote:
Dolk

One out of how many thousands?

Maybe a few, but very few Tulas had scope marks on the barrel shank. I have only seen photos of two myself. The fact is, they didn't regularly mark Tulas on the side of the left barrel shank ..... except .... for Molot

Out of 10's of thousands of rifles, only a couple non-Molot Tula snipers have scope numbers on them.

It is not a "Russian" vs "Ukranian" thing either. The new Tulsky snipers coming out lately from Russia don't have the scope numbers forced marked on the Tulas either. So, only Molot Tulas do regularly.

Only Molot regularly marks the Tula scope numbers. This is why it is suspected that Molot force marked those rifles. It is a possibility that they also put those rifle together from real sniper rifles and real parts, but that is more of a reach. Without any evidence one way or another, it will always be a an unknown.

But only Molot snipers "regularly" have the Tulas with the scope number stamped on the side of the barrel. But I wouldn't be afraid of owning a Molot sniper rifle. Everything is correct on them (except that one question).

Dolk

When I say regularly, I mean at least a 99.9% of the time. Mis-marked or accidental marks will always happen, but that hardly justifies it as a common or even rare occurrence. They are usually screw ups and not part of the "standard" processes.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Knuckledragger wrote:I was addressing the fact where you underlined the word, "only" when referenced to Molot. That was misinformation-which you readily admitted to in your follow up post by saying you've seen pictures of a couple.

Not being argumentative-Just trying to keep the information correct.
For the record-I own three times as many RGuns snipers as Molot...so I'm not defending Molot.

For all practical purposes, it is only Molots that have Tulas with scope marks on the side. If we wanted to be that "picky" then I can find you something to knock any known fact down about a Mosin. Two rifles out of 10's of thousands of rifles is a fluke or error, not their normal procedures (meaning the arsenals). And yes, it is being argumentative to bring that up.

Dolk
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Consider this my apology, then.
I just despise blanket statements in general-but especially when Mosins are the topic.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

:chuckles: Oooooo! That's a blanket statement!
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

This is a 44 tula tulsky refurbed sniper and has two scoper serials crossed off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

The recent Tulsky Tulas also have scope serials on the barrel. Makes sense that they would, they may not left the factory originally with a scope serial but I can't imagine that the guy at the refurb arsenal gave two shits whether is was a Tula or Izhevsk.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bocephus wrote:The recent Tulsky Tulas also have scope serials on the barrel. Makes sense that they would, they may not left the factory originally with a scope serial but I can't imagine that the guy at the refurb arsenal gave two shits whether is was a Tula or Izhevsk.
They sure gave a "shit" on all the refurbished snipers that came out of the Ukraine. No Tulas had scope numbers on the barrel on all of the Ukraine stored snipers that were refurbished (except one or two in 50,000 rifles or more rifles). So .....someone gave a "SHIT"...now didn't they?? :roll:

It is possible that they put scope numbers on the Tulas when they refurbished them. I just don't know that, and neither does anyone else. The "Tulsky" Tulas presented here did not have the scope numbers on the side of them. At this point I just don't know one way or another. I have no reason to think Tulsky is fabricating anything ..... or making anything up. I do have a reason not to trust anything from Molot ...... given their past reputation. But that is a personal decision each person has to make. You make your own mind.

Now, I'm tired of this topic and have nothing further to say about it any longer, but you may continue if you wish. Just keep it civil and respect others opinions and ideas.

Dolk