How do you open the spam ammo can?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
alwyswrkng

How do you open the spam ammo can?

Post by alwyswrkng »

I bought a 440 spam can of ammo from SGAmmo and was wondering what is the best way to open it. It did not come with a can opener and the old handheld one my wife had does not fit. Suggestions?
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, I wont be laid a hand on, I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in The Shootist
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do you open the spam ammo can?

Post by Rongo »

I would recommend getting a proper opener. Otherwise I've heard of guys using all kinds of tools. I'll let them chime in.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
avenger

Post by avenger »

I Have a surplus can opener for it...ive heard of using a dremel...ive also heard of using a grinder to grind off the top edge a bit and it will separate without being sharp or anything
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I had some Czech ammo that came 880 to a can. it had tabs to pull but they were useless. I have an unopened can like you have as well, but they gave me a can opener. Now if you treat it like Duct Work(sheet metal) get an old flat tip screwdriver and a hammer. Knock a whole in the top edge and then with the screwdriver in the metal, tap it in one direction and let the screwdriver cut the metal. It doesn't have to be completely opened to get every thing out. Just be careful to not go in the middle and hit the ammo and not to deep. Just about 1/4" or so and that should do it. :ugeek:
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

Thanks for the replys. I'll head out to the shop and work on opening it. I'm feeling the need to kill some paper! Range time coming!
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, I wont be laid a hand on, I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in The Shootist
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have been opening the spam cans for years with a small disc grinder out on the grass some where away from the shop. Just grind the lip away enough so I can open them enough to get everything out of there and that all goes immediately into a GI ammo can and gets marked what and when it was opened. The can goes into the trashcan without stopping anywhere or looking at anything as those things can cut the hell out of you and others. Bottom of the trash can and the trash men know by now to stay away from them too. Quick and simple and all that needs to be done as there is precious little info on them at this time in my life on a spam can that I care anything about. Bill :wink: :wink:
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

A basic hammer, a wood chisel, and a bit of care and patience. Place the chisel at an angle so the edge cuts in, tap just enough to advance the cut. You really only have to get one end open to get all the ammo out, but I like to carefully cut all the way around, so I can re-use the can for other purposes. Lots of sharp edges, so be careful. I grind the edges down on the empty can, and use it for other things. I was thinking of hanging all the can tops on a wall.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I poked a hole on the edge with a good knife abd then used steel nibblers that you can get at harbor freight for about $6 :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What? Who has money for a spam can? Ok I'll be right over to help you open it and shoot it!
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

I was thinking about using a jackhammer. But I'm not sure how to use one to cut around a curve. :no: :lol: :P :big shock:

Seriously, I just received two cans with 880 rounds and a can opener was included. I'll let you know how it goes.
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm glad my first spam can (I've purchased three in a year's time) came with a can opener. Otherwise, I would be in real trouble. I thought it was hard to do WITH the opener. How the hell did the Russian front line soldiers do this quickly in the field? Or did they?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think Ivan did NOT carry spam cans around as an infantryman. But the female Ivans probly had the openers around. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If you buy two cans at the time you normally get an opener. Otherwise, I just use a flat tip screwdriver and a hammer. (it ain't exactly Fort Knox)

You could also probably open it by heating it in the oven at 500 degrees for an hour or so.......... :twisted:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

You could also probably open it by heating it in the oven at 500 degrees for an hour or so.......... :twisted:[/quote]

Or better yet I use a block of C-4 I just happen to have lying around............... :big shock:

The hammer and scewdriver method worked just fine. I tried working the edge back first but those "rooskies: really intended these cans to stay sealed! :thumbsup:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I used a thermite grenade, I think two rounds were still good when I got done.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

This is probably why I bought a 300 round deal in a .30 cal ammo can. It's a lot easier to open. Price wasn't too bad either.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I use a hammer and a cold chisel. About a 3/4". A crappy wood chisel would work too. I would not use a good wood chisel. Angle it right at the edge of the top and hit hard enough to go through the metal. There are no primers right at the edge. Once it is started just follow the cut. Move the chisel over about half it's width hit, repeat. It goes pretty quick.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Swear it open mostly, then buy a second case of ammo and hope the dam commies remembered to include the can opener.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gwilly

Post by gwilly »

Am I the only one to use the screwdriver/bayonet?? :biggrin: :tongue:
~GW
An old mountain man's prayer:
"Lord, I don't ask for a faith that would move yonder mountain.
I can take enough dynamite and move it, if it needs movin'.
I pray, Lord, for enough faith to move me."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, you ain't :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt