Can you identify?

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
catcracker

Can you identify?

Post by catcracker »

I am thinking of purchasing this pistol, just because it says cool. I don't even know what it is, other than .32 cal.
Can you identify?
Cat

catcracker

Re: Can you identify?

Post by catcracker »

This is my guess.
S&W model 1 1/2 spur trigger top break .32 S&W cal
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If it was S&W it would say so on top of the barrel, but everybody and his brother was in the business of making small revolvers during the second half of the 19th century. These things were deadly, enough power to make a hole in you, but not enough power to exit you on the other side. That means the Doc had to dig around inside you to try and get the bullet out, failing more often than not. Blood poisoning and a horrible death was the common result. There is a long list of company's that made things like this, or made copy's of someone else's product. They are nice in wall displays, I have a couple of shadowboxes displaying three or four.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

They were good for delivering lead poison to the bad guy, or sometimes the good guy.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I can"t say what mfg. made this one but I think they are right about the 32 cal. They were often written about in the old crime dime novels along with the various short 38 cal. sat. night specials. At one time the cheap 38 cal. revolver killed and wounded more people than any other single cal.The 32 cal. derringer type was often carried in the pocket without a holster allowing all sort of trash to plug the barrel and would make a real mess when it backfired in the shooters hand.It didn't take much to clog the small 32 cal. low powered barrel.If it was a multiple shot revolver of marginal quality the backfire could result in more than one round exploding.Good Luck :o JGC