My first real pu sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
catcracker

Re: My first real pu sniper

Post by catcracker »

sgtheindl wrote:Great looking rifle op! Also +100 to Dolk. All of this information is why I just went ahead and spent the extra on a RGUNS so I didn't have to have the nagging doubt in the back of my head on its "authenticity".
Agree. Why risk it over a few dollars. Also helps resale value. There is a portion of collectors that will not touch the Molots. Just like some will not collect counter bores. Justified or not. Just something to remember.
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

catcracker wrote:
sgtheindl wrote:Great looking rifle op! Also +100 to Dolk. All of this information is why I just went ahead and spent the extra on a RGUNS so I didn't have to have the nagging doubt in the back of my head on its "authenticity".
Agree. Why risk it over a few dollars. Also helps resale value. There is a portion of collectors that will not touch the Molots. Just like some will not collect counter bores. Justified or not. Just something to remember.
On gunbroker the Rguns and Molots/Tulsky's are selling for the same prices so the hold outs seem to be tiny minority.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

GB prices are all over the place. There's 100% fakes on there selling for $800. I put a Molot on there and it sold for $700.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bocephus wrote:GB prices are all over the place. There's 100% fakes on there selling for $800. I put a Molot on there and it sold for $700.
I agree. They are all over the place. Too many people buying things on Gunbroker that have no idea what the real worth is.

I watch Gunboards and Calguns (and a bunch others). RGUNS always sell fast at the $800 or higher price. Molot usually go for a little more or the same as they sold for. We'll have to wait an see if yhese new ones lower prices a bit. No one has a crystal ball.

Sometimes some of these snipers sell for a bit more then what was paid. That is because people like to see what they are getting and not take a pig in a poke. They will pay a bit more for that option.

Dolk
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

I've only looked at them once on GB and it was scary how many fakes there were. I don't ever plan on selling mine so I really don't follow prices on them. Again I just paid for the piece of mind.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

pgaplayerless wrote:
catcracker wrote:
On gunbroker the Rguns and Molots/Tulsky's are selling for the same prices so the hold outs seem to be tiny minority.

I guess I'm a tiny minority.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

catcracker wrote:
I also agree.

This whole thing reminds me of when my wife was in New York. She was seeing all kinds of Coach Purses for sale on the street for 70% under retail that were Made in China knock-offs. Now she collects authentic Coach™ & has spent $700 & more on some of her collection. But she found one on the street for $50... It was cheap but the style was perfect for a particular outfit so she bought it. Not the real deal but it fit a particular need & worked well for her. She loved that purse.

To me Molot is kinda like that Made in China Purse company. Add to the equation leftover Coach™ purse inventory & facilities (Izhevsk) & cranking out reclassified purses with a tag stating they are actually called "handbags" (See Hunting Rifle).

Nothing wrong with the "Handbag", it's pretty, it functions & in most all cases it passes as a Real Coach™. But is it? That's for you to decide...
I already made my decision on the Molots & you ain't gonna change it no matter how long you stamp your feet & pitch a fit; Nor will you will convince the Military Surplus collecting community as a whole that a Molot is completely Authentic. Never.

But it's a cool Hunting rifle that functions & shoots & looks & feels like a PU Sniper rifle. And if you dig it; That's great. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

Rongo wrote: I also agree.

This whole thing reminds me of when my wife was in New York. She was seeing all kinds of Coach Purses for sale on the street for 70% under retail that were Made in China knock-offs. Now she collects authentic Coach™ & has spent $700 & more on some of her collection. But she found one on the street for $50... It was cheap but the style was perfect for a particular outfit so she bought it. Not the real deal but it fit a particular need & worked well for her. She loved that purse.

To me Molot is kinda like that Made in China Purse company. Add to the equation leftover Coach™ purse inventory & facilities (Izhevsk) & cranking out reclassified purses with a tag stating they are actually called "handbags" (See Hunting Rifle).

Nothing wrong with the "Handbag", it's pretty, it functions & in most all cases it passes as a Real Coach™. But is it? That's for you to decide...
I already made my decision on the Molots & you ain't gonna change it no matter how long you stamp your feet & pitch a fit; Nor will you will convince the Military Surplus collecting community as a whole that a Molot is completely Authentic. Never.

But it's a cool Hunting rifle that functions & shoots & looks & feels like a PU Sniper rifle. And if you dig it; That's great. :vcool:
There is really no grand conspiracy. Tuco, the founder of Gunboards and well respected collector that also works in the firearms import biz and participate on bidding on the "Molots" said the following:
These came from the Bryansk military storage facility

I tried to buy these over a year ago. I'm limited in what I can say as I am under a confidentiality agreement (not from Io as I was bidding against them). Still I can state 100% as fact that is where these came from. There are no more snipers there at least none for sale. In time more info will come out on these & maybe "other" stuff as well. But to answer your question LC, there is paperwork but not paperwork with each rifle. Still as I saw the rifles there I am pretty sure where these came from.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

pgaplayerless wrote: There is really no grand conspiracy. Tuco, the founder of Gunboards and well respected collector that also works in the firearms import biz and participate on bidding on the "Molots" said the following:
These came from the Bryansk military storage facility

I tried to buy these over a year ago. I'm limited in what I can say as I am under a confidentiality agreement (not from Io as I was bidding against them). Still I can state 100% as fact that is where these came from. There are no more snipers there at least none for sale. In time more info will come out on these & maybe "other" stuff as well. But to answer your question LC, there is paperwork but not paperwork with each rifle. Still as I saw the rifles there I am pretty sure where these came from.
No doubt about it; Tuco is a central figure in collecting circles & deserves a lot of credit for his great contributions over the years. But I'm sorry, when reading between the lines this is a weak endorsement at best.

Anything else or was that it??
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Brain washed
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

Rongo wrote:
No doubt about it; Tuco is a central figure in collecting circles & deserves a lot of credit for his great contributions over the years. But I'm sorry, when reading between the lines this is a weak endorsement at best.

I'm pretty sure if Tuco knew something was not on the up and up on these, he would not make any comment on these especially if it could be taken as any form of an endorsement.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

pgaplayerless wrote:
Rongo wrote:

I'm pretty sure if Tuco knew something was not on the up and up on these, he would not make any comment on these especially if it could be taken as any form of an endorsement.
I love the lead with "PRETTY SURE"... I suppose Tuco told you that personally over Breakfast? Give him a call & ask again; I assume you have him on speed-dial? Again; I refer to my previous statement above. :pointup:

"Dang that entropy"
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

Rongo wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:
Rongo wrote:

I love the lead with "PRETTY SURE"... I suppose Tuco told you that personally over Breakfast? Give him a call & ask again; I assume you have him on speed-dial? Again; I refer to my previous statement above. :pointup:
Nope, do not have his number. I just asked myself the question: What does Tuco has to gain by endorsing supposedly "questionable" product that his competition is profiting on?

Based on that I made the "pretty sure" lead as there is really no logical gain for him to do so if there really is something "shady" about those that he's aware.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

So we are left again with no answer from you, just some more questions to yourself you say? :pop:

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

pgaplayerless wrote:
Rongo wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:
Rongo wrote:

Nope, do not have his number. I just asked myself the question: What does Tuco has to gain by endorsing supposedly "questionable" product that his competition is profiting on?

Based on that I made the "pretty sure" lead as there is really no logical gain for him to do so if there really is something "shady" about those that he's aware.
Tuco is a part owner of Gunboards. His job is importing? Most of Gunboards sponsors sold Molots. You know...Gunboards?, that other forum. Very nice guys over there and most of the time they have their shit together and get it right.

Now, lets not thread crap any more on this thread and move on.

Original poster,
Sorry your attempt to highlight your rifle ended up in this discussion. It should be in a seperate thread so your rifle can be discussed. It's a nice rifle and I'd be proud to own it in my collection.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I second that. Enjoy your PU Sniper! :vcool: :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

gurn wrote:Picked my AIM pu up today. I am very pleased with it. This is my first real pu so give me your opinions or criticisms. First thing I notice is there is no refurb mark or it. At least none that I am aware of on the barrel or receiver. May be missed? Do the numbers look forced matched? If so they did a good job. I have taken it apart and every part inside and out that has a mark has an Izhevsk mark even the cleaning rod. On to the Yoshkar-Ola scope. also no refurb mark. What would the /25\ and the "P" mean? The scope looks dead new from the finish to the optics. The trigger is nice, smooth and crisp and the bore is like new. A big thumbs up to AIM! Thanks guys.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ps. No it didn't get rained on that's condensation after being in the cool house. It quickly builds up with the humidity we have here. Before I took it out I gave it a good coating of Fluid Film.

:pointup:

"Dang that entropy"
gurn

Post by gurn »

Thanks guys and no worries. I like and always learn a few things from these lively discussions. By the way, how was you all's 4th? We went to the lake with family and I ate to much, almost got killed by a run away mortar firework shell but before that I lost my glasses in the lake while on a jet ski :chuckles: What a day.

:BBQ:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!