My first real pu sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Lee-online

Re: My first real pu sniper

Post by Lee-online »

My Aim sniper showed up today. A quick look and a couple of pics and I think its a nice rifle and will be a great shooter.
No counterbore and a clean crown, clean shiny bore, clear glass.
I don't like all the laser etching but oh well.

Kollaa kestää
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Looks good Lee. :thumbsup: Did you get the lens covers as a bonus or did you have them already? I've got one on order and hopefully it will be here next Monday.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Wow, looks great lee! Like Hammer, I've got one on order and if it looks lime yours, I'll be more than happy! Let us know how it shoots too!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Came with, I always get lucky when ordering from aim.
Kollaa kestää
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

There are definitely different traits of these "Tula" exported PUs vs the "Molot" exported ones.

On one side these are nicer vs Molots as they seem to be all prefix rematched with no line outs. While Molots rarely had prefixes and line outs were common.

On the other side they are tattooed worse than a con doing a dime for B&Es and the scope are not S/Ned to the gun.

Price of these are slightly lower then the Molots were but that seems mainly on account of no scope covers unless you get lucky
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

When AIM released the first batch of Molots they were around this price. Every subsequent release went up in price. 
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

pgaplayerless wrote:There are definitely different traits of these "Tula" exported PUs vs the "Molot" exported ones.

On one side these are nicer vs Molots as they seem to be all prefix rematched with no line outs. While Molots rarely had prefixes and line outs were common.

On the other side they are tattooed worse than a con doing a dime for B&Es and the scope are not S/Ned to the gun.

Price of these are slightly lower then the Molots were but that seems mainly on account of no scope covers unless you get lucky
Tulsky, not Tula

Molot never exported snipers, not until just recently. They handled them much like Mitchell's handled Mausers. Others exported them after Molot "handled" them, and obviously Molot renumbered the scopes to the rifles.

You need to get over the marks. Seems like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Given the choice, I'd take one of these new Tulsky snipers,............. but I'll probably never own a Molot.

Dolk

pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

dolk wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:There are definitely different traits of these "Tula" exported PUs vs the "Molot" exported ones.

Tulsky, not Tula

Molot never exported snipers, not until just recently. They handled them much like Mitchell's handled Mausers. Others exported them after Molot "handled" them, and obviously Molot renumbered the scopes to the rifles.

You need to get over the marks. Seems like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Given the choice, I'd take one of these new Tulsky snipers,............. but I'll probably never own a Molot.

Dolk

Molot exported PU snipers just like Tula Arms inc is doing right now with their batch of PU snipers. Each company clearly got their PUs from a different storage/refurb facility as there is clear difference between them on how they were refurbished. Once either Molot or Tula processes then for export as "hunting carbines". They are purchase by US based importers

Molot certainly did not renumbered the scope S/Ns on the shank as there is no consistent way the renumbering has been done. Some has the old number grind away, some were lined out, others were Xs out and others still were *ed out. Not to mention the fonts between each new scope S/N also varies greatly. I have handled about 20 Molot PUs side by side

Wolf Performance Ammunition also got recently into the gun importing and regular m9130 mosins are imported by them.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

pgaplayerless wrote:
dolk wrote:

Tulsky, not Tula

Dolk

Molot exported PU snipers just like Tula Arms inc is doing right now with their batch of PU snipers. Each company clearly got their PUs from a different storage/refurb facility as there is clear difference between them on how they were refurbished. Once either Molot or Tula processes then for export as "hunting carbines". They are purchase by US based importers

Molot certainly did not renumbered the scope S/Ns on the shank as there is no consistent way the renumbering has been done. Some has the old number grind away, some were lined out, others were Xs out and others still were *ed out. Not to mention the fonts between each new scope S/N also varies greatly. I have handled about 20 Molot PUs side by side

Wolf Performance Ammunition also got recently into the gun importing and regular m9130 mosins are imported by them.
No, Molot never "exported" sniper rifles, not in the truest sense. They were sold in Russia to the various exporter/importers. Molot was a company that got the rifles from the arsenals and did what they did to them and they were exported by various exporter/importers like PW arms and a bunch more. Molot bought them from the arsenals and reclassified them as hunting rifles and sold them to the exporters/importers, they sold then to the sellers here like AIM.

RGUNS went to the Ukraine and bought the PU snipers they got directly from the arsenal, then exported them. They are the buyers, exporter/importer, and sellers. Same as the early Century imports were done.

Molot was a middle man between the arsenals and the exporters/importers.

Once here, they were sold by the exporter/importers to various companies like AIM.
pgaplayerless wrote:"Molot certainly did not renumbered the scope S/Ns on the shank as there is no consistent way the renumbering has been done. Some has the old number grind away, some were lined out, others were Xs out and others still were *ed out. Not to mention the fonts between each new scope S/N also varies greatly. I have handled about 20 Molot PUs side by side"
Are you kidding me. Anyone that tells you that doesn't know what they are talking about.
Those numbers for the scopes on the side of the rifles on Molots are in a modern font.
They are also on the Tulas which the arsenals never did. Molot did that.
Molot is not an arsenal, they are a private company.

All of these PU snipers should be the same. They all went through the Soviet Unions refurbishing process. They were not Ukraine or Russian owned snipers. They were all owned by the Soviets.

No consistency?
Only the Molots are not consistent with the scope numbers...ONLY MOLOT.
None of the other PU snipers ever had the PU snipers marked like he Molots. Not before nor since.
We have examples of how they were marked when they came in years ago (Oldest imports of snipers Century imports)....very consistent. (before Molot)
We have examples of how they were marked on the RGUNS....very consistent (before Molot)
We have examples of how they were marked on these last batch of Russian riffles....very consistent (after Molot and from Russia)
All the same except Molots

ONLY Molots are marked the way they are with the modern fonts and Tulas scope numbers. Only person who could have done that is Molot. They did not come out of the arsenal that way.

You can handle a 100 Molots, that only makes you know what a Molot looks like. That's easy, look at the scope numbers on the side. How long have you been collecting PU sniper rifles?

Dolk
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

dolk wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:
dolk wrote:

Tulsky, not Tula

Dolk

No, Molot never "exported" sniper rifles, not in the truest sense. They were sold in Russia to the various exporter/importers. Molot was a company that got the rifles from the arsenals and did what they did to them and they were exported by various exporter/importers like PW arms and a bunch more. Molot bought them from the arsenals and reclassified them as hunting rifles and sold them to the exporters/importers, they sold then to the sellers here like AIM.

RGUNS went to the Ukraine and bought the PU snipers they got directly from the arsenal, then exported them. They are the buyers, exporter/importer, and sellers. Same as the early Century imports were done.

Molot was a middle man between the arsenals and the exporters/importers.

Once here, they were sold by the exporter/importers to various companies like AIM.
pgaplayerless wrote:"Molot certainly did not renumbered the scope S/Ns on the shank as there is no consistent way the renumbering has been done. Some has the old number grind away, some were lined out, others were Xs out and others still were *ed out. Not to mention the fonts between each new scope S/N also varies greatly. I have handled about 20 Molot PUs side by side"
Are you kidding me. Anyone that tells you that doesn't know what they are talking about.
Those numbers for the scopes on the side of the rifles on Molots are in a modern font.
They are also on the Tulas which the arsenals never did. Molot did that.
Molot is not an arsenal, they are a private company.

All of these PU snipers should be the same. They all went through the Soviet Unions refurbishing process. They were not Ukraine or Russian owned snipers. They were all owned by the Soviets.

No consistency?
Only the Molots are not consistent with the scope numbers...ONLY MOLOT.
None of the other PU snipers ever had the PU snipers marked like he Molots. Not before nor since.
We have examples of how they were marked when they came in years ago (Oldest imports of snipers Century imports)....very consistent. (before Molot)
We have examples of how they were marked on the RGUNS....very consistent (before Molot)
We have examples of how they were marked on these last batch of Russian riffles....very consistent (after Molot and from Russia)
All the same except Molots

ONLY Molots are marked the way they are with the modern fonts and Tulas scope numbers. Only person who could have done that is Molot. They did not come out of the arsenal that way.

You can handle a 100 Molots, that only makes you know what a Molot looks like. That's easy, look at the scope numbers on the side. How long have you been collecting PU sniper rifles?

Dolk

Legally, to be able to export milsurps from Russia, they need to be reclassified at hunting rifles, not military rifles. That is why Molot is handling them, that is also why Tula Arms is now handling them. There is not other way to do it from Russian due to various embargos and treaties.

There is no such thing as "soviet refurbishment process" only many refurbishment processes. Each refurb facility had their own process. It was not standardized.

I would like to see some evidence how you can tell "old" refurb font vs "modern" doubt that is not based on personal opinion subjectivity.

As mentioned previously Tula PUs from Rguns have been documented with scope S/N on shank as well.

My collection of PUs go all the way back to the authentic factory matching PUs that Century imported in the 90s and also Hungarian PUs

Your whole premise of the argument centers around "standardized soviet refurbishment process for all facilities". There was no such thing.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

The stamps used certainly aren't the same stamps used to mark the receivers. If this marking of scope S/Ns were done at a later date by an arsenal, say 20 or 30 years after original manufacturing, then it is entirely possible that the font styles will not match.

After all, the fonts used by the imperial arsenals do not match those of the later WWII Soviet arsenal fonts.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

pgaplayerless wrote: Legally, to be able to export milsurps from Russia, they need to be reclassified at hunting rifles, not military rifles. That is why Molot is handling them, that is also why Tula Arms is now handling them. There is not other way to do it from Russian due to various embargos and treaties.
I know that...what does that have to do with this conversation?

pgaplayerless wrote:There is no such thing as "soviet refurbishment process" only many refurbishment processes. Each refurb facility had their own process. It was not standardized.
Really, where did you get that information? I know many people that have been to Russia and the Ukraine and none of them have that information. It is not in any fact based books I have ever seen. Speculation only. The Soviets were "standarized" if nothing else. We don't even know if all the snipers were done in one facility or not. Unless you have some facts, you can't say.

[quote="pgaplayerless"
I would like to see some evidence how you can tell "old" refurb font vs "modern" don't that is not based on personal opinion subjectivity.[/quote]
LOOK! size and letter shapes, do a study on fonts both modern and old. Do your own homework.

[quote="pgaplayerless"As mentioned previously Tula PUs from Rhine have been documented with scope S/N on shank as well. [/quote]
BS. Maybe one I have ever seen and it came out of Germany. It was exported by one of Molots "partners" in Germany. If I'm wrong, show me more of them.

We have good prof that the snipers were done pretty close to standards on all of them (except Molot). And Molot just has a bit "extra". What more proof do you want? Seeing the Soviets did this work and we don't even know where it was done, I'd say they had a "standard" or....all the arsenals did it the same way. Molots were just altered after wards.

I think I'm done here. If you want to continue, you may. But if you can't see this, then there is nothing more I can say to convince you.

To the OP, sorry this had to start up here. You have a fine looking sniper rifle and any collector would tell you that. Don't worry about the import marks, they are not that bad and are expected.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

jones0430 wrote:The stamps used certainly aren't the same stamps used to mark the receivers. If this marking of scope S/Ns were done at a later date by an arsenal, say 20 or 30 years after original manufacturing, then it is entirely possible that the font styles will not match.

After all, the fonts used by the imperial arsenals do not match those of the later WWII Soviet arsenal fonts.
That's true. The scope numbers on the Molots don't match any of the fonts and sizes used on any of the refurbished rifles. Not even the refurbed M91/30 standards or M44's, or M38's. So they were done at a different time.
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

dolk wrote:
jones0430 wrote:The stamps used certainly aren't the same stamps used to mark the receivers. If this marking of scope S/Ns were done at a later date by an arsenal, say 20 or 30 years after original manufacturing, then it is entirely possible that the font styles will not match.

That's true. The scope numbers on the Molots don't match any of the fonts and sizes used on any of the refurbished rifles. Not even the refurbed M91/30 standards or M44's, or M38's. So they were done at a different time.
More important none of the fonts and sizes match each other between the various refurbed M9130s, M44s or M38s that were imported over the years. They are all favor of the month.

If Molot was stamping the scope S/Ns you can bet a house they would be all the same exact font. They are not.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Lapins book, 6th edition page 148.

Note: Scope mounts serial-numbered to the individual rifle are reputed to be Polish rather than Russian. On many post-World WarII Polish sniper rifles the scope's serial number was stamped on the left side of the receiver just above the stock; this was not done on Soviet rifles.

old info, Wrong info or just an opinion based on observations. :?:
Kollaa kestää
gurn

Post by gurn »

Thanks Dolk. Lee, yours looks great too. Lucky dog, you got covers! I don't know near enough to get in on the above discussion but I know I am happy with mine. I know I always learn a few things from like discussions, thanks.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Lee-online wrote:Lapins book, 6th edition page 148.

Note: Scope mounts serial-numbered to the individual rifle are reputed to be Polish rather than Russian. On many post-World WarII Polish sniper rifles the scope's serial number was stamped on the left side of the receiver just above the stock; this was not done on Soviet rifles.

old info, Wrong info or just an opinion based on observations. :?:
All of the above. Snipers information has changed dramaticaly sence that book was written.
Dolk
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

Great looking rifle op! Also +100 to Dolk. All of this information is why I just went ahead and spent the extra on a RGUNS so I didn't have to have the nagging doubt in the back of my head on its "authenticity".
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i see these have free shipping now
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Dan4good wrote:i see these have free shipping now
Typical, I could have saved myself $30 by waiting 6 days. :very mad: