Reloading Russian ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
warhawk77

Reloading Russian ammo

Post by warhawk77 »

So right now I don't have any reloading gear but I plan in buying a starter kit this month. But I'm really wanting to pick up a few other Russian style firearms. But my question would it be worth picking up gear to reload Russian ammo also or just save my cash and buy surplus as fast as I can?

Right now the only Russian ammo I shoot is 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 so ammo is still pretty cheap. I have 7.62x38 but I don't shoot it much because it's hard to find. My plan is to get 7.62x25 and 9x18 pistols so those might be worth reloading.

So is it worth reloading
7.62x54r?
7.62x39?
7.62x38?
7.62x25?
9x18?

Plus others I missed?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Reloading Russian ammo

Post by bunkysdad »

I would suggest picking one caliber and starting small. Like shoestring budget small. You need to decide if reloading is really going to be your thing, and you won't know till you try it. You can get a single stage press and set of lee dies, then buy powder, bullets, find at least 2 boxes of reloadable brass, primers, and then there is a small scale of some sort, micrometer, and a few accessories I can't think of, like case trimmers, and whatnot. Lee sells starter sets which are nice. Or you could do like I did years ago. I literally started reloading 38 spl with a Lee Loader, no scale, trimmer, or nothing. Just a plastic mallet and the reloading chart that came with the dies. You cannot do harm with a Lee Loader and they are available in 7.62x54R. It will actually get you started on the kitchen table. You will do one of 2 things. You'll hate it and drop the idea, or you'll love it and want to start looking for more tools. Or you can buy a Lee starter set for around 125-150 & a set of dies. The problem is that powder seems to be on short supply, so you might be limited. Now if you have a larger budget, you could go with a starter set from RCBS or Lyman, or Hornady, but the prices double and triple.
Ok, here is what you should get first. A new reloading manual and read the beginning chapters. I favor the Lee manual, Lyman manual, and Hornady manual.
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

I was looking at one of these sets. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744 ... uctFinding

I have wanted to reload for a few years but I keep putting it off and bought guns, which isn't a bad thing I guess. But last weekend I got tired of not finding 9mm for less than $0.30-0.40 a round. So I'm going to keep stocking up on ammo but at some point I will have to reload my own. I plan on starting small with 9mm or maybe 45. Then start looking for die for some of the more hard to find ammo.

I have started getting books at the library. But not sure which rounds would be worth investing in dies for and which I should just buy surplus. Kinda like the 7.62x39 that round is cheap and I will keep buying it while it is but might want to start buying brass ammo to reload,
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

There's no way to reload 7.62x54r or 7.62x39 cheaper than you can buy commercial or surplus ammo. I reload the military calibers that are expensive and/or hard to find. Those dies in my equipment include .303 British, 7.7 Japanese, and .30-06 (for the M1 Garand and my hunting rifle). Rifle takes more time, preparation and patience than pistol rounds. Get a good reloading manual and start with one pistol and one rifle caliber that you want to reload. Learn how to do it right; by the book and safely. In time you can acquire more dies, accessories and equipment to expand your reloading experience into other calibers.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Pistol powder is scarce as hen's teeth in most parts of the country. Make a list and see what powders you can find for different calibers and start with that one. I'm only doing .223 as it's the only thing I shoot that I can find powder for over the past six months
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

You may be able to buy loaded ammo in 7.62x54 and x39 cheaper than reload it, but reloading gives you the opportunity to tune your loads for your rifle.
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

I don't do a lot of rifle shooting but I have a few in the safe but with prices of ammo they don't get much love. When I start reloading I will be shooting them more.

Might order a case of 7.62x25 and 9x18 for when I get a pistol.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I've been reloading since the early 70's and started reloading because a lot of the calibers I was shooting was simply not available where I lived. I started on a used Lyman Turret press and still point people in that direction when they starting out. About 30 years ago a friend bought a Dillon and told me "Skip your next gun purchase and put your money in a Dillon". My only regret is that I waited 15 years to take his advise. Try and find a case of 7.62x25 or 9x18 and you will revisit reloading in a hurry.
If you learn to cast bullets, another addiction, you can cut your costs even further. I figure not counting my time I can reload most of the 9mm pistol rounds for around $.03 each because I panic bought primers when they were <$15/1000 and still have a source of scrap lead.
Feinwerk

Post by Feinwerk »

Has anyone tried using CFE223 in reloads for the 7.62x54r? I is said to be useful for removing copper when used in 5.56. It might be interesting to try with my Mosins.

BTW, I agree that a large part of the fun (for me) is reloading to optimize the ammo, even if it does not save any money.