Peter A. Reinhard, Gunsmith

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
klibben

Peter A. Reinhard, Gunsmith

Post by klibben »

Hello all (long time no see! Guess I haven't been here since 2011!)

Was wondering if any of you fine folks out there had a P.A. Reinhard rifle in your collections?

Reinhard was born in Bavaria in 1827, and emigrated to the United States (Columbus, OH) at the age of 5. In 1847 he became an apprentice to a gunsmith in Columbus, and two years later moved to Loudonville, OH to open his own shop. His ambition to build great rifles led him to apprentice with world-renown gunsmith William Billinghurst in 1855, and he didn't return to Loudonville until 1857 or 1858. Once back from Billinghurst's, Peter's rifles were on the map as some of the best in the country. Reinhard was one of the first nationally known marksman, always using his own rifles. He won numerous regional matches, and took the National prize in 1877. He became so well known as a marksman that there are records of matches across the midwest being cancelled once he arrived, because other competitors refused to compete against him. To prove the workmanship of his rifles, he would use his customer's rifles in the matches...rather than building a superior one of his own. His rifles still hold numerous records, and still win. In fact, a Reinhard took home the State Championship (Ohio) last year. His was, and still is, considered one of the greatest American muzzleloading gunsmiths to live.

Of course I may be slightly biased, as I run the museum in Loudonville and therefore spend quite a bit of time fondling and drooling (oops, don't tell the archivist) over his rifles. I've met and spoken with people all over the country that own his rifles, and they turn up quite a bit. Markings generally include things along the lines of: P.A. Reinhard, Ashland Co. O., with a date and occasionally a square and compass (masonic). He built both target and hunting rifles, all custom made for the buyer...so they come in all shapes and sizes.

So, anyone know of any out there? If you ever find any at auctions let me know!

PS - not sure why the photo doesn't work. It's a photo of Reinhard holding one of his.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)
Loditrapper

Re: Peter A. Reinhard, Gunsmith

Post by Loditrapper »

Try posting photo again, klibben. Maybe resize it, might be too large.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hello Kenny. How have you been buddy? Perhaps if your pic needs resizing we have found that 640x480 or thereabouts works well. I'd really like to see that picture. Now was he making flintlocks, percussion, or both?
klibben

Post by klibben »

I'll try to resize it here after lunch. As best I know Peter built strictly percussion. He was well known for all kinds of new techniques though, false muzzles, under hammers, telescoping sights (rare at the time)...and of course every rifle came with a custom set of tools. The tools are harder to find, of course.

Reinhard is also credited with building what is known as the Winningest Rifle in History. It has won, I believe, hundreds of competitions...the owner has cases full of past awards it won. It's a beauty to hold.
klibben

Post by klibben »

Guess there is a time limit on editing...we'll try this again.

P.A. Reinhard posing with a rifle

P.A. Reinhard at work in his shop

And in reply to Bunky: I've been swell, but busy. Work really took off, I don't remember what my status was when I last posted but I'm still at the same museum, now as head Curator and Director. I've come out with a few publications since then (local history), and became an NRA Instructor and Range Safety Officer as well. I've got my own farmhouse now too, just moved in last fall right when it got cold so just now getting a lot of the work on it done...have a whole room set up for guns, just need to move all the safes and guns over! It's nice though, plenty of room to shoot, we're building multiple ranges on the property for different guns and distances. I shot my first muzzleloader last year (besides those modern inlines, I don't count them) and shot a perfect score...so I'm planning on getting into that now! I'd love to own a Reinhard... My gun purchases have really dropped off the charts the past few years as I'm working on student loans now...but I've picked up a few, including an 1809 Potsdam (1826 conversion to percussion) in near mint condition. Appears unfired, story from my family is that a distant relative purchased it from the government following the civil war...if that's true, it's probably one of those the Union purchased and tossed in a warehouse just to keep out of rebel hands. It appears shootable, I'm going to inspect it more this summer and then take it to the range if so.
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

A heavy barrel, poured pewter nosecap, back action lock, PEEP sight, and a very young looking man holding it. There was a rifle fit out much like that in my family's history. Minus the peep and with a more slender barrel. A squirrel rifle, not a target rifle. Was accurate, though. A .38 caliber. "The Winningest Rifle In History", there's a STORY there, klibben.
klibben

Post by klibben »

I don't think the owner of the "Winningest Rifle" likes to publicize his collection much, but I might be able to get a list of notable achievements from him.

btw loditrapper, your name have any connection to Lodi, OH?
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

Nope, Lodi township, Athens county. Down here in the southeastern part of Ohio. And I don't blame the owner of that rifle for not wanting to publicize it, not one bit. Heck, makes me nervous just posting pictures of my modern firearms on here. And they can be replaced. Most of 'em. I don't want to know who owns it, or where it is, but a story or two from the LAST century, or the century before that, ought to be fairly safe. Even if its just telling how that rifle won a string of twenty hams straight back in the 1890's. Stories like that bear retelling. It's just a notion to dream about, "The Winningest Rifle..."
klibben

Post by klibben »

Lodi (Medina County) is home to the Log Cabin shop, a great place for muzzeloading enthusiasts (everything you need to either shoot or build a muzzleloader) also has a great Ohio Gunsmith Museum attached to it with guns made by every known Ohio gunsmith (or at least that's the goal).

I'll see what kind of stories I can get from the owner. Speaking of "bears retelling" one of the matches I mentioned that was cancelled when Reinhard arrived actually had a black bear as the prize! No clue what happened to the bear...