M44/T53 Info needed

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sreyemj

M44/T53 Info needed

Post by sreyemj »

I bought this in a bit of a hurry at a local shop. At the time I though it was just a rough M44 and the price was right. I also remember thinking the bolt serial looked long. Come to find out the bolt and mag floor-plate at least are Chinese. There is also some black paint like stuff under the stock. From everything I'm seeing this was probably put together as a parts rifle? If so I will sell/trade it off as it would be of little interest...

Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: M44/T53 Info needed

Post by Miller Tyme »

Hard to say but the stock has been refinished which leads me to wonder if it was done to strip the black paint off that you found on the inside of the stock. The butt plate also looks to have been painted flat black.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Damn! That stock looks like it fell into a vat of black nasty paint. Otherwise it looks like another Balkan used M44. How about an import mark? Is there one? If so were is it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

CAI M44 import mark on the side of the receiver.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Take it out and shoot it. By the 20th round that black paint will fall right off. we actually had one of our younger members set fire by shooting I think 100 rounds without stopping. We just call him Flame now.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

A parts gun of sorts but definitely part brokered while in the Balkans. This is a very nice M-44. If the bore is good and headspace checks out, it will be a fine rifle. I love them like this :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It does indeed look as though someone got paint happy on the stock. As Jim stated... Take it out & shoot it. The paint should fail over time & it will a great reminder why we so firmly believe in preservation. Besides... Everyone needs at least one unwanted & previously abused orphan in their collection. It's not the rifles fault & they need lovin' too. :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

I will definitely check the headspace on this one before firing. The bore is a bit worn near the muzzle so it will be interesting to see how it shoots. Is there any chance the Chinese parts were put on in the Balkans? It seems odd that Century would import a barreled receiver on purpose.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

What am I not seeing here? I see the Chinese triangle 21 stamp on the bolt body, but what on the magazine floor plate points to Chinese property?
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

sreyemj wrote: Is there any chance the Chinese parts were put on in the Balkans? It seems odd that Century would import a barreled receiver on purpose.
Albania definitely had a relationship with China. Chinese parts flowing into Albania and then to other comunist block countries in the region is a possibility.
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

clayshooter2 wrote:What am I not seeing here? I see the Chinese triangle 21 stamp on the bolt body, but what on the magazine floor plate points to Chinese property?
I was going off of the long 7 digit serial number, the magazine body itself is Russian.
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Does anyone think the X may be a capture mark, or did the Soviets only do this to captured German rifles? If so it could have been captured during the brief Sino-Soviet War.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

sreyemj wrote: I was going off of the long 7 digit serial number, the magazine body itself is Russian.
Good observation. I missed that.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I would not chalk it up to a parts rifle just yet though. More research is needed before I personally would make that call.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

vblue42 wrote:Does anyone think the X may be a capture mark, or did the Soviets only do this to captured German rifles? If so it could have been captured during the brief Sino-Soviet War.
I would think Korean War part swap before I would think that. By the time of the Soviet Sino Conflicts M44's were very obsolete to the Soviets, and very far away geographically from any known Mosin refurbishment arsenals. Who knows though? We only now are seeing refurbished Mosins coming out of Russia itself.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

clayshooter2 wrote:I would not chalk it up to a parts rifle just yet though. More research is needed before I personally would make that call.
It's not uncommon to see strange conglomerations of parts on a Balkan rifle. The region was fairly poor during the Cold War forcing them to get creative on a tight Military budget. Putting a functional rifle into the armory from a batch of parts was not unheard of by any means.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I've got a Balkan M-44 with a Chinese bolt body. No big deal. They got their guns from Russia and from China. When things needed to be fixed, they reached into the parts bins or more likely another "parts" gun and used what worked. A refurbishment of sorts happened in Romania prior to import as well. :D
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

Oddly enough this shot fairly well. I didn't have high hopes as the muzzle end of the rifling was looking worn near the muzzle.

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Good shooting! Slight adjustment on the front sight and aim a little low and you are good to go. Nice groups. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not odd at all. :D