What to collect

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bubblehead

What to collect

Post by Bubblehead »

I bought ny first Mosin 4 weeks ago and it was the first gun I purchased in 35 years. If I'm going to start a collection of just a few rifles, what do you consider to be must haves? My first is a 1942 Tula.
redspoon

Re: What to collect

Post by redspoon »

Well that's a $64 question, but assuming your 42 tula is a M91/30 ur gonna need at least one of the several varieties of the M44 carbine. One or more of the longer M91 rifles and anything Mosin that has the Finnish Army (SA) rework stamp, however you will never be consider a serious Mosin collector unless you have at least one 1943 Izhevsk 91/30. :kilgo:
Hang around the forum for a while and you will learn pretty quick what's more desirable and collectible. :welcome3: to the forum.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I'll agree with redspoon. If you're going to start collecting, you need at least one of the carbine Mosins (M44, M38, M91\38, M91\59 etc..) and at least one M91. That of course is if you just want to stick with the Russians! You should probably add at LEAST one Finn, Polish, Chinese, Hungarian, Romainian, American ... :D

In all seriousness though, I'd say take a look at all the different variants that are out there and find the ones that talk to you the most. Some folks collect all arsenals, specific arsenals but all years, specific years, one of everything, Finn only etc.. Just got to figure out where your passion lies with these beauties. I've picked up about 20 over the past year and still haven't completely figured out what direction I want to take. Right now it's more of a "best available" when I have the money pattern...
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would consider the must have's to be whatever it strikes MY fancy to collect and be dammed what others think about it, it's my collection. In the day I would be picking up a Garand in the morning and at then spend half a day chasing down another Vetterli someone thought they saw in a junk shop someplace. I would get laughed at for dropping $50 on another rifle I couldn't shoot, well now, just who the hell is laughing now that these same rifles are hitting $500? You collect what you like , it doesn't matter what it is be it Soviet refurb, Chinese type 53, or Finn M91's, that you like what you collect is all that matters.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome!!

"...If I'm going to start a collection of just a few rifles" :chuckles: Tell us about your "few" rifles a year from now :D

Anyway to start out you need a 91/30 round receiver and a 91/30 hex receiver. Then you will probably want one from Tula and one from Izhevsk. Then you need an M-91. Then you need some Finns (91/30, M-39, M-91 and a few more "M's" that you will grow to want over time). Then you need a carbine(s) - a Russian M-44 and an M-38. By then, you will have a pretty good idea of (1) what you have and (2) the infinite rifles you don't have but desperately desire (and need to feed the addiction). Some would even say you need a Nagant pistol as well. And, you will likely be out of control by that time and will apply for a C&R. After all, for every 4 or so rifles you purchase and have transferred to you by an FFL you will be able to save enough with a C&R to purchase one more. Have no worry though, there are lots of shoulders to cry on as you walk the trail to the poor house. :thumbsup: The secret is, purchase what talks to you.
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

All Mosin Nagants are good and deserve to be kept in a loving home :) :) :) :)
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Bubblehead, welcome to the forum. So for the last 35 years of not buying guns, did you already have some firearms that you shoot? Rifles, handguns, or shotguns? Or is this your first firearm? The military surplus rifles are a wonderful source for collecting firearms with some interesting history attached, but there are other areas that are fun to collect, like older 22 rifles for instance. Some folks collect and dont shoot, while others shoot but are less into collecting. Then there are guys like me, that shoot everything they can, from revolvers, semi auto pistols, to shotguns and rifles, while not forgetting some fun black powder guns too.
B24

Post by B24 »

Anything that's not bubba'd.
I see you are from Memphis, I'm about 80 miles southeast of you
in the New Albany area. Not much to choose from in the way of
Mosins in this area. Are there any shops in Memphis that have much
to choose from? I was in Don's shop at Collierville a couple of weeks ago
and he had several wartime refurbs.

I started out with a 28 Tula about this time last year and found a 1917
Remington and a 1948 M44 during pawn shop rounds a few months later.
Welcome to the board and the world of Mosins.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Bubblehead wrote:I bought ny first Mosin 4 weeks ago and it was the first gun I purchased in 35 years. If I'm going to start a collection of just a few rifles, what do you consider to be must haves? My first is a 1942 Tula.
I think JYD said it best. Collect something you like. I think virtually everyone has set some type of buying order, must haves, or "list", and just as quickly the list goes out the window. You will hear many say, if the rifle speaks to you, buy it. This is so true. I was on a quest for more Finns recently, and said some time ago I would never buy another refurb. So, of course, my last 2 were a 1939 Tula with a laminated stock and a 1927 Tula ex dragoon!
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

I like you, just purchased my first mosin. 42 Izhevsk...My wish list is...

M38, M44, hex 91/30, laminated stock in either makes...that's just on my realistic list. I could keep going ;)
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Welcome!

There is a definite rationale to my collection. But only I understand it.

It's sort of like women. We all have our own preferences. Explaining what they are takes some of the pleasure away.

And with milsurps, the expense is generally up-front and done. And they don't talk back. Nor do they campaign to have you get rid of the other milsurps. It's a much better deal all the way around.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

IMO everyone needs a mauser... :thumbsup:
Bubblehead

Post by Bubblehead »

[quote="bunkysdad"]Bubblehead, welcome to the forum. So for the last 35 years of not buying guns, did you already have some firearms that you shoot? Rifles, handguns, or shotguns? Or is this your first firearm? The military surplus rifles are a wonderful source for collecting firearms with some interesting history attached, but there are other areas that are fun to collect, like older 22 rifles for instance. Some folks collect and dont shoot, while others shoot but are less into collecting. Then there are guys like me, that shoot everything they can, from revolvers, semi auto pistols, to shotguns and rifles, while not forgetting some fun black powder guns too.[/quote

Its been 20 years or so since I shot a gun. I use to hunt ducks and went deer hunting a few times when I was younger. I gave my guns to my son along time ago. I have a pistol for the home. I just want to do something now that I'm getting older. I thought I would start shooting again and collecting a few WW2 guns. When I walked into the gun shop and saw the Mosin I thought what the heck. I could play around and mod it pretty cheap and have a decent target rifle. Well then I came home and started reading the internet. That Mosin is staying just the way it is. I'm going to clean it up and make sure its good to fire again. Looking forward to range day.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I buy what I like when I see it. I do have a list of certain rifles or features I want so I can search for those in particular but when I see a rifle that speaks to me, its hard to let it go.

Owning one of each model and or each arsenal would be a good start. Different countries mosins, Refurbished and non refurbished. And then there is always collecting years.

Look at the showcase for inspiration.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =48&t=2665
Kollaa kestää
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

outdooraddict wrote:I like you, just purchased my first mosin. 42 Izhevsk...My wish list is...

M38, M44, hex 91/30, laminated stock in either makes...that's just on my realistic list. I could keep going ;)
Many of us started originally with either a '42 or '43
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Good attitude. Be sure to read the how to's in the stickys and don't forget to get a set or at least a field gauge to check the headspace. See OKIE at the top of the page.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

My first was a '42 Izhevsk as well. Red letter. It is one on my top 9 favorite Mosins. I went 30 years between guns myself. Bought my first Mosin last October. Got 9 now. I'm thinking too that it might be a matter of what kind of collection you want. A show case collection or shooter collection.
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

start by doing some reading good websites are mosinnagant,net 7.62X54r.net and the mosinwiki page on this forum
professor9

Post by professor9 »

Just let each prospective candidate speak to you. If it's a good fit you will know it.
1915 Westinghouse Finn, Fox Receiver, SA marked
1942 Sako M39
1953 Hungarian M44

Spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission... RIP Neil Peart
Bubblehead

Post by Bubblehead »

I've been setting up my work bench and picking up some cleaning supplies. Head space gauges are first on my list.