My new M38, question...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Spermgewehr

My new M38, question...

Post by Spermgewehr »

Hey guys, new to the forum. Picked up my second Mosin the other day, a 1943 Izhevsk M38. I am far from a "collector" but enjoy firearms and history so naturally milsurps fit into the equation.

My M38 has all matching stamped numbers except for buttplate, correct stock, nice furniture, great rifling and has has NOT been counterbored. The front sight is odd though. Rather than the simple post and hood that is ubiquitous with MNs, such as on my 91/30, it has the alternative bladed sight post with no hood. From what I understand the M38 should have the other front sight. Is this simply a case of a new (spare) sight being attached when refurbed?
desdem12

Re: My new M38, question...

Post by desdem12 »

You will have to post pics for us to tell. There is a possibility it was altered or it may be an arsenal replacement. Please post fotos of the front site and the barrel shank where all the marks are including the ones on the sides if there are any. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Did you find an SA stamp on it anyplace?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh no you don't Sperm. You can't pop in here and make mention of a potentially super cool carbine like that and not even post a photo layout. We got to have them and plenty of good ones too. If you have a Finland m38 then you have a super cool one indeed. If you don't you still have a cool one if it's a all original m38.

Ya gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?~ Josey Wales
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Pics?

I've never seen an M38 with the straight post; technically it should have the post and globe, but I suppose it's possible.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

bunkysdad wrote:Oh no you don't Sperm. You can't pop in here and make mention of a potentially super cool carbine like that and not even post a photo layout. We got to have them and plenty of good ones too. If you have a Finland m38 then you have a super cool one indeed. If you don't you still have a cool one if it's a all original m38.

Ya, what BD said.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Sorry guys, don't have a good camera. Ill try taking pics with my phone if I can get some good lighting.
Another question: when I disassemble her the pin that holds the trigger in place tends to come out. Any fixes for this? Anywhere I can find this pin, if necessary? Its not a problem for shooting but it is loose and I would hate to lose it
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hi Sperm, welcome to the forum!

I have to chime in with the rest...we need pics :)

The loose pin is common with all Mosins. Read the "Cleaning Your Rifle for the First Time" sticky. It talks about the pin in the first paragraph. I believe dolk has some or had some for sale if you ever do lose it.

Again, welcome!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Did you find an SA stamp on it anyplace?
Just what I was thinking.... :big shock: :toast:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

And by the way Spermgewehr....

:alien:

Welcome to the forum. :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Yes, it should have the same post and globe upper sight as the 91/30, however there are some blade style that will fit the dovetail just fine, and if it's not a Finn then it could just be that someone changed it for whatever reason. The M91 used a blade style that is tapered from top to bottom of the blade, the original 91/30 front sight used from 1930-1932 was a blade style but had a "step" roughly halfway down the blade.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Yes Snap one with your phone, Maybe in the bathroom, where there is usually great lighting or maybe a kitchen. Text or email it to your computer and then post it on the sight. Unless you have a smart phone. Then it's simple. Is this a trend lately? :o It's 2011 and we can't get pictures. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the Madness SpermGewehr. Sounds like a pretty neat rifle there. Oddities are pretty cool around here. Nothing more off than that Username. :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking forward to those pics :ugeek: :ugeek:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Is There a SA stamp on that carbine????????

Like This
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Some pics taken with my phone. The quality leaves much to be desired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I can't see the markings clear enough to tell if it has the SA stamp or not.
Theodore Roosevelt
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I can't see the markings clear enough to tell if it has the SA stamp or not.
No, definitely no SA stamp. I wanted the rifle regardless but that was the first thing I looked for when it was in my hands.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Looks like a Finnish M91 front sight blade.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A nice looking rifle, Not a finn stacked sight anyways. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It's hard to tell but it sure looks like you knew what to do when you found it. you just had to have it didn't ya? Like it was speaking to you perhaps? :)

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Finn or not it's still a nice M38 :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt