Tpye 56 Paratrooper

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Siam

Tpye 56 Paratrooper

Post by Siam »

I actually purchased this carbine back in August at our very small local gun show. I was really shocked to see a SKS for sale. Price tag was $249, I offered him $200 and after a bit of discussion and displaying the cash, he said OK. All I noticed was that it was a SKS in really excellent condition. The guy was a dealer-gunsmith and sad he shot 1 round in it and offered me then spent brass. I took it home and set it in the rifle rack with a bunch of M44 Mosin Nagants and paid no more attention to it. Couple of months later I was looking at the at the rack of carbines and suddenly realized the SKS was shorter than the M44s. First time i realized it was a Paratrooper.

As you can see the S# is 54530 on all parts except the mag which is 54503. I will call it all matching as I believe the guy who stamped it just reversed the last 2 numbers. The importer was JPE in Pomona, Ca.

I copied the following from dragunov dot net

"The SKS "paratrooper" carbine was also the brainchild of JPE. Regular SKS rifles had their barrels shortenend to 16 inches and re-crowned in their warehouse in the City of Industry, California."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Siam

Re: Tpye 56 Paratrooper

Post by Siam »

Forgot to mention that I have been collecting SKS carbines for 10+ years but the old brain doesn't work so great at times. Just registered as a SKS at the time, not a SKS Paratrooper. :big shock: :redfaced:
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Well it sounds like its an alteration by the importer so there is actually no such thing as an "SKS Paratrooper" as it was in its original configuration.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Siam

Post by Siam »

vblue42 wrote:Well it sounds like its an alteration by the importer so there is actually no such thing as an "SKS Paratrooper" as it was in its original configuration.
Yep, that is correct as I understand it. Only made for US market.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice :thumbsup:

As I understand, the initial design and modification started here in the states by the actual importers, sometime later, the SKSs were supposedly modified prior to leaving China. Distributors wanted a cheaper cost per unit, so like any business, China could do it cheaper and quicker. Some of the very late imports, could very well have been purpose built as a Paratrooper for import. Navy Arms was a very big importer/seller of the Paratrooper and other versions of altered SKSs, like the "M" and "D", Cowboy Companion etc. The only thing they have in common with a standard issue SKS is at one time it was a standard SKS, just modified to suit the American shooter/buyer.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Being an arsenal 26 you can actually date it. 11 = 1967
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Congrats! Looks great, great price. My paratrooper is my favorite to shoot.
Lmbass14

Post by Lmbass14 »

Excellent find. You have a range report?
If you can't hold the reins, don't take the ride. -Legend of Charging Charlie -Red Horse - CMSgt. Alfred "Lindy" Gothia, USAFR (Ret.)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice! They are handy, if not entirely authentic. 8-)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Nice. :thumbsup: I never met an sks I didnt like. That is unless it has "tacticool" crap hanging all over it.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington