Prices at Pat Burns site

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cep89

Prices at Pat Burns site

Post by cep89 »

Take a look at the new batch of M39s on gunsandammo.com. I saw a 1942 sky that was similar to the one I got from there in 11/2013. Mine is in excellent rather than new, but mine was 350.00 this one is 690 and it's now sold one day later. Overall the prices seem quite a bit higher and they are selling. So, is this a real increase in the value of M39s or an anomaly?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Prices at pt Burns site

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Prices on M39's are skyrocketing because people smell the end coming for that bunch. Get it now or never sort of thing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I had to do a double take when I saw the price on that one yesterday. It's a nice looking rifle but holy cow! I just about spat my coffee across my monitors when I saw that it was sold an hour later.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Glad I got my two 39s. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You are seeing the future today in M39 prices.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I'm diggin 6169X. I need a M28 now, no more 39s.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

People with credit cards acting like we are in a zombie apocalypse.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I tell you what. If I had the jingle that first Sako on the list would be mine. I love the 20% blue look.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:People with credit cards acting like we are in a zombie apocalypse.
What? It's the Zombie apocalypse? I didn't hear that! Why am I always the last one told of shit like this? :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Thing I noticed is the almost tripling of the price on lockring bayonets, thought it was a typo, but it's been there awhile.

So about $180 shipped for a hand pick. :?:
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Steak prices look about the same.. :?

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/Our-Steaks/
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I noticed that the really high end pieces were the ones with pre-20th century receivers. I really see no justification for the price, nor reason to buy one for the date. No matter what the age of the receiver, it was used to build an M39......literally a Heinz 57 mongrel.......a good looking one.......but still a mutt. The only real world advantage I see is that an individual without a license can buy it. It would stand to reason that you could charge thru the nose suspecting that sooner or later a tyro would pay big bucks for the chance to get a HP rifle shipped direct. No muss, no fuss, no FFL dealer/middle man Other than that, those high $ rifles don't look any better than my three with dates from 1890s to 1930s.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

berkmberk1 wrote:I noticed that the really high end pieces were the ones with pre-20th century receivers. I really see no justification for the price, nor reason to buy one for the date. No matter what the age of the receiver, it was used to build an M39......literally a Heinz 57 mongrel.......a good looking one.......but still a mutt. The only real world advantage I see is that an individual without a license can buy it. It would stand to reason that you could charge thru the nose suspecting that sooner or later a tyro would pay big bucks for the chance to get a HP rifle shipped direct. No muss, no fuss, no FFL dealer/middle man Other than that, those high $ rifles don't look any better than my three with dates from 1890s to 1930s.
They charge more for the receivers made before 1898 because according to Uncle Sam any firearm made before 1899 isn't a firearm at all, and can transfer freely without any FFL. Not everybody has a FFL, or wants one, they will pay more for a "non firearm" made before 1899.
Theodore Roosevelt
cep89

Post by cep89 »

The sold ones have been removed now, but the fact that they sold quickly at that price means it is a fair market value. If the supply of Burns M39s is about to come to an end it would reduce the supply of M39s on the market. That should send the price even higher.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I sometimes wonder if Pat hasn't figured out a way to breed them! (I just wish I could look at the inventory documents that must have accompanied that deal long ago!
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When you got all 12,000 or so of anything you control the prices things retail at with the whole supply being yours. I bought most of mine for less than $100 each from the first retailers which were selling them and they assured me when I asked that they were making plenty at that price. Barnum said nothing about a Zombie Apocalypse but he did make a comment about suckers and it may be applicable at times. He sells to other dealers and thus far they are not that high so maybe he is trying to build a retirement nest egg with what is left? Try and sell any M39 at a gun show face to face and people will not even talk to you for that price.

Comments on here come from a dedicated collector market and we tend to want what we don't have regardless of sense and price so that has to be added in too. I remember back when many Milsurp contracts were worked up at a price of pounds for x amount of dollars regardless of the number of units in those pounds and it is not inconceivable to me that is not possible today in isolated cases or maybe where you are taking all of something. Suffice it to say at the market prices around today profit is high and value may not be as high. After all the newbies blow there high amounts for an M39 what is to say they may move on to other things or not be thinking they got their moneys worth? When I buy or trade for one these days I ask and find those reasons are why they are moving on or selling out. The economy is causing people to rethink many things they have impulsively bought these days too. Eventually it will leave dedicated collectors and most of them are very picky about what they buy and how much they pay for things.

Collecting is a very interesting hobby and people in it lose interest and move onto other things rapidly. How many handles do you no longer see on boards these days that were always here for a year or two but burn out and move onto other things? Life is just a series of episodes and when one is over we move onto another thing. They sell out cheap because they don't care because they are done collecting and we never hear of them again. Nothing is written in stone about rifle collecting and it goes in cycles and has many heart breaking at times fluctuations. Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of the serious collectors I know Bill aren't on any board, some don't even own a computer. The internet existed a good ten years or longer before I decided I could make money with computers and so bought one. People get busy, or they just lose intrest in internet boards, but not always with collecting. Except the kids, most of them now have the attention span of a knat, but they don't yet have the cash for serious higher level collecting. More 1943 91/30 refurb rather than $600 1970 M39.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

JYD almost all of the serious collectors I know have caved to start learning about computers and trade internationally for things and sell and ship using the computer too. There are great markets out there for rifles and rifle parts and it really is kind of easy from what I have seen. Of all the serious collectors I know I only know of one who doesn't have or want a computer and he is 82 years old and lives alone so he does little to even leave the house. He goes to shows, gun shops, and swap meets with a club. He gets taxi service from his daughter who lives close by and happy with that alone. I also know of a bunch who read many boards and belong but never post at all preferring to be unknown to the public for reasons of their own. Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I know a lot of cantankerous old fart's, I am one and a half foot in the 1920's technologically speaking myself, but at least I learned how to use a computer. To them I might as well be Bill Gates, at least so far as the computer geek thing goes. As if I know anything about computers, there's a laugh. The 82 year old's got the right idea, home is a great place to be, my capper, my bed, my TV, my icebox all live at home, if I didn't have to shop now and again for food or occasionally visit friends I would never leave either.
Theodore Roosevelt