Barrel Ring Problem

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
yoy543

Barrel Ring Problem

Post by yoy543 »

I just refinished my mosin nagant and i dont want it getting scratched up but everytime i shoot it the back ring moves forward and it move the whole barrel cover can someone please help me
desdem12

Re: Barrel Ring Problem

Post by desdem12 »

I have one that does that also. I just move it back when i notice it. The best advice i can give is to not try to bend the spring as it will break most likely. I would go out and buy another mosin and use it for shooting. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

yoy543 wrote:I just refinished my mosin nagant and i dont want it getting scratched up but everytime i shoot it the back ring moves forward and it move the whole barrel cover can someone please help me
:pop:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I was waiting for the websterz wit there. :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Are the screws that hold the receiver/barrel assy. to the stock tight?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:I was waiting for the websterz wit there. :pop: :pop:
Heh, when I saw that I thought we were being revisited.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You refinished it?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think he means that the handguard and the rear barrel band moves when he shoots it. But yes the screws should be tight. I have a 42 that the handguard moves and the band spring is broke. I believe it is probaly a earlier thick barrel band and a newer band spring so it probably slips past it. You may be able to fix the problem with ordering a new barrel band. What year of rifle is it yoy? :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:I think he means that the handguard and the rear barrel band moves when he shoots it. But yes the screws should be tight. I have a 42 that the handguard moves and the band spring is broke. I believe it is probaly a earlier thick barrel band and a newer band spring so it probably slips past it. You may be able to fix the problem with ordering a new barrel band. What year of rifle is it yoy? :D
Yeah my thinking was if the screws are loose and the whole barrel assy. was moving it could cause this. Had it happen on my M44.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You refinished it?

So I wasn't the only one wondering about that. Some pictures would help maybe. Especially of the barrel band area.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

desdem12 wrote:I was waiting for the websterz wit there. :pop: :pop:
Wiseass...guilty as charged. :oops:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I saw that too but maybe he just refinished putting it back together??? If not i hope it is not a real uncommon one like a 1907 or something although it would hurt no matter what it was. :cry: :cry: :cry:
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Please tell me refinished means maybe a little shellac touch up....

My M91/30 barrel bands won't move. I've accepted this. It's got the clamp kind, I don't see any screws or anything, just two fitted pieces of metal. I doubt those open up without never closing again. Would my doubt be correct, or do my bands move after all? (The spring presses down, the band wont budge to slide over it)
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

It happens on one of my Mosins too. You shoot it, and the rear barrel band slips forward, and so does the hand guard. The rear barrel band retainer spring has probably lost its tension and is no longer doing its job. Find you a replacement on the web. They are available. You'll want the later stamped type. They have more spring in them. Look on the opposite side of the stock from the spring. You'll see a small hole. That's where you can knock out the spring with a small pin punch.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

mosinmike17 wrote:My M91/30 barrel bands won't move. I've accepted this. It's got the clamp kind, I don't see any screws or anything, just two fitted pieces of metal. I doubt those open up without never closing again. Would my doubt be correct, or do my bands move after all? (The spring presses down, the band wont budge to slide over it)
Yours will move. Just oil them up and gently persuade them and they will come off. At the bottom there is a gap that you can see if you gently widen this gap they will move off and should go off easy from there. Not to much though or you will break them. Oil up the stock there and they should come off. :D
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I had this problem on my first 91/30. I couldn't get the read band to seat behind the band spring far enough for it to pop up and properly seat. I finally noticed that there was a small "bead" of dried cosmoline around the edge of stock forearm shoulder. I carefully cleaned it up (with a popsickle stick lol) and everything snaps into place now. Be careful if you do this so you don't remove shellac.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
yoy543

Post by yoy543 »

desdem12 wrote:I think he means that the handguard and the rear barrel band moves when he shoots it. But yes the screws should be tight. I have a 42 that the handguard moves and the band spring is broke. I believe it is probaly a earlier thick barrel band and a newer band spring so it probably slips past it. You may be able to fix the problem with ordering a new barrel band. What year of rifle is it yoy? :D
it was made in 1943 it is the m91/30 model
yoy543

Post by yoy543 »

mosinmike17 wrote:Please tell me refinished means maybe a little shellac touch up....

My M91/30 barrel bands won't move. I've accepted this. It's got the clamp kind, I don't see any screws or anything, just two fitted pieces of metal. I doubt those open up without never closing again. Would my doubt be correct, or do my bands move after all? (The spring presses down, the band wont budge to slide over it)
me and my dad completley stripped the thing to the bare wood and restained it and put a few layers of polyethalene on it click the link and you can see it http://www.moddb.com/members/oyo543/ima ... r#imagebox
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I would try to pawn that refinish job on to someone else, too.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

martin08 wrote:I would try to pawn that refinish job on to someone else, too.
Yoicks!!!! :big shock: :big shock: