NICS delay..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chiroptile

NICS delay..

Post by Chiroptile »

Can't take her home for another week.. Is there a support group for that?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NICS delay..

Post by millman »

Not that I know of. Is the problem NICS, or some Missouri state law?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I've never had a problem with NICS. Walk in, fill out paperwork, wait for them to make the call and pay on the way out. Did they give you a reason for the wait?
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

I think the problem is a valid one. I'm a permanent resident, not a citizen of the US yet.. I can own firearms legally, but every time I buy one they put me on hold.. Freaks me out a little, I read horror stories of people having to go through the appeals process after being denied. Hoping that will change when the papers come through.
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

I'm guessing it's something most of you guys don't have to deal with all that often..
scap

Post by scap »

I am a permanent resident here in CO and never had an issue. Mine takes the same time as the guy in front of me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Chiroptile wrote:I think the problem is a valid one. I'm a permanent resident, not a citizen of the US yet.. I can own firearms legally, but every time I buy one they put me on hold.. Freaks me out a little, I read horror stories of people having to go through the appeals process after being denied. Hoping that will change when the papers come through.
It's the same deal for me, it's always approved within 24 hours (business time, weekends don't count), sometimes it only takes 20 minutes, can you get the store to call back and check on it? Everywhere I buy from will do that for me.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

That's weird.. It's like clockwork with me. Every single time, without fail.. Figured we've been through this enough times by now that they would just let me walk out with it..
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Mike wrote:
Chiroptile wrote:I think the problem is a valid one. I'm a permanent resident, not a citizen of the US yet.. I can own firearms legally, but every time I buy one they put me on hold.. Freaks me out a little, I read horror stories of people having to go through the appeals process after being denied. Hoping that will change when the papers come through.
It's the same deal for me, it's always approved within 24 hours (business time, weekends don't count), sometimes it only takes 20 minutes, can you get the store to call back and check on it? Everywhere I buy from will do that for me.

Oh yeah.. They'll be getting daily visits from me until I can take her home.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Chiroptile wrote:That's weird.. It's like clockwork with me. Every single time, without fail.. Figured we've been through this enough times by now that they would just let me walk out with it..
Same with me, always "further review".
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

When I buy a rifle I never put my ss# on the fed application.. I ALWAYS get bumped into further review, every single time !! It's not a big deal, and has never cost me a rifle. Just a PIA !
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Mike wrote:
Chiroptile wrote:That's weird.. It's like clockwork with me. Every single time, without fail.. Figured we've been through this enough times by now that they would just let me walk out with it..
I wonder if country of citizenship has anything to do with it..

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never had to deal with the new insta check system. It didn't exist back when I bought guns from guns stores, wasn't something a C&R required me to deal with, and 90% of my collection was private party sale .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have a CCW, so in KY (perhaps everywhere?) the gunshop can just use the ccw # in place of the number that they would receive from NICS. Most places realize this is much less hassle to both parties, but some like Dunhams or Wally world will not. They always require a call. Even at that, I have never had any issue. Cash and go.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chiroptile wrote:
Mike wrote:
I wonder if country of citizenship has anything to do with it..

Azerbaijan? I don't know that it would, but who knows.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

Chiro, old buddy, maybe it's because the Feds know you speak Russian:

Re: Russina Song about the Mosin Nagant
by Chiroptile » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 pm
If you guys are curious, I'll translate the song for you.. Russian and English have very different grammatical structures, and I will keep it as close to the Russian wording as possible, so it will come off crude..

AND Arabic:

Re: Mosins in modern warfare
by Chiroptile » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 pm
Loditrapper wrote:
I wish I could read what's written on the stock of that Mosin.
And I wonder if those Northern Alliance guys are still on our side.
That Mosin may be aiming at my son in law right now, for all I know.

I checked into that.. The inscription says "I am talking of Ramin," Which is a man's name.. Makes you wonder right there..
The symbol in red is the number four.

Man, you know that if they're following our phone calls and emails, they've got to be watching a site like this. Heck, seems like Junk Yard Dog has enough armament to equip a brigade himself. I just know that with your skill set, I'm glad you're on our side, partner.
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Azerbaijan? I don't know that it would, but who knows.
Yessir.. Heh, this being a Mosin site, perhaps this would have been a little more appropriate

ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

millman wrote:I have a CCW, so in KY (perhaps everywhere?) the gunshop can just use the ccw # in place of the number that they would receive from NICS. Most places realize this is much less hassle to both parties, but some like Dunhams or Wally world will not. They always require a call. Even at that, I have never had any issue. Cash and go.
:thumbsup: same for me here in SC. So far walmart has been the only place to do a check on me with a cwp. But it was an electronic one somehow that was pretty much instant. Everywhere else never needs to with the cwp. :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Lodi, I honestly would not be surprised. Very odd feeling, considering that I caught the tail end of life the USSR where even as little kids we knew not to talk about certain things out on the street, because somebody could be listening.. mm
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

I never buy anything from a GUN STORE nor do I or will i ever fill out a ATF4473 form,,I buy all the GUNS i LOST in the Boating accident when they all fell overboard from Private parties,,,,,,,heh

Regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39