A build in the works...

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BuckeyeSgt

A build in the works...

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Well, I just did my first order through a FFL. Just ordered a Spikes lower to start my first build. Got a couple ARs already but this will be to just see if I can. Will be looking for a complete upper because I'm not that handy.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Re: A build in the works...

Post by WeldonHunter »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Well, I just did my first order through a FFL. Just ordered a Spikes lower to start my first build. Got a couple ARs already but this will be to just see if I can. Will be looking for a complete upper because I'm not that handy.

Drew if you don't already have an upper lined up look through here http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 3&subcat=7 and here http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 3&subcat=9 and keep an eye out there. There's new ones added all the time. Palmetto State Armory has been running sales like crazy on all kinds of them lately since they're moving and for the holidays.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I'm sure you'll be fine. Hell, if I can build a lower, then anyone can do it! You can really save some money by building a stripped lower. I'm like you, I just buy complete uppers. Of all the numbers I've put together I just don't see the savings in building an upper. Palmetto State Armory is having a good sale on an FN barreled upper. I have one, and out of my three AR's (the other is a Colt LE6920 and a Bravo Company), it's my favorite. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their FN barreled uppers, I wouldn't buy one of their cheaper PTAC uppers, or one that doesn't have an FN barrel though just because I want the confidence that I'll get a quality barrel and true 5.56 chamber in the FN barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Enjoy, and post some pictures when your done!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Good luck with your build! They are easy and fun to build. There are lots of good videos on youtube and ar15.com has a good walkthrough. Psa has excellent prices on pretty much everything. My first build was pretty much all psa. It is still going strong and is quite accurate. I am still working on my second build. The lower is built but I haven't got an upper for it yet. The lower is also filled with psa parts. I got the lower build kit and a bolt carrier group super cheap at their local stores grand opening sale. Just have to decide on the upper now haha. Post pics of the progress! :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I should be ok with putting together a lower. Probably beyond my skill and tools to do the barrel and upper. So I will just buy a complete one. Looking at a RRA lower parts kit with trigger. I think I'm going to go 20" on the upper in an A2 config with A2 buttstock. I already have two ARs in A4.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Got my lower picked up today. Ordered a parts kit and grip last night. The FFL I used is a really nice guy. We sat and talked for a while. He even offered to let me use his tools if I build the upper. So my options have widened.

Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Cool :thumbsup: I've been wanting to attempt one of these builds. How much cheaper is it to build your own vs ought right buying one?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'm not sure yet, but I keep spending money. :lol: :lol:
Aim had the lowers for $89 shipped.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:I'm not sure yet, but I keep spending money. :lol: :lol:
Aim had the lowers for $89 shipped.
Spikes is supposed to be the good stuff. I wouldn't know really because I don't have any ARs but they sure go fast when they go up on gun-deals. I'm surprised you didn't get the Hellbreaker. They're only $299.95 but have free shipping, lol.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

If you build it with a left hand upper, I'll give you a heck of a good deal on a brand new never been used "bump stock"! :thumbsup:

Problem is, it's for left handers only!

I had to send it to my Brother in Nevada, because they made them illegal in Calif before I could put it on!

dolk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

redspoon wrote:Cool :thumbsup: I've been wanting to attempt one of these builds. How much cheaper is it to build your own vs ought right buying one?
It depends on the model and how many extras. The beauty of building one is you can save some but not always, you get to make it how you want it, you get to know how the rifle works, and it really fun. My first rifle wasn't as "cheap" as I would have liked but it would have cost alot more to buy it how I have it. The cost is spread out a bit more when you build. And if you keep an eye out you can build one pretty cheap from deals and sales.

Great looking lower buckeye! :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

So this is also to document what parts I use so that I can remember and keep track. I ordered a LPK earlier but I didn't want the basic grip. So I ordered a kit (DPMS)and a Magpul grip. Well it was a small LPK and didn't come with a trigger. So I decided to keep the small LPK as backup parts if I loose or break something down the road. Got my full LPK today.

Still wanting to do a 20" A2 but they seem pretty hard to find, so I held off on picking out a stock.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Building the upper ain't nothin... I built my first one in less than two hours. The worst part was installing the ejection port cover spring. The armorer's wrench and upper vise block ran me around $40 though, but since I have two more lowers sitting here I figured it as an investment. I truly think the lower was more of a pain to put together. The barrel that I bought did already come with the A2 front sight base installed so I didn't have to install a gas block though. Check out JSE surplus, I bought quite a bit of the parts for my build from them and they had fast service and great prices too.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

When you go to put the pivot pin spring and detent in, grab a 1/4" lynch pin at Lowe's or Home Depot. Put it through the holes and line up the holes in the pin with the detent hole, put the spring and detent through the lynch pin. Take a small drill bit and push the detent down into the hole, turn the lynch pin 90 degrees, trapping the detent and spring down in the hole. Using your pivot pin from the LPK, push the lynch pin back through the lower, watch to make sure the detent doesn't slip off the side of your pivot pin because it will sure try! Once you push the pin back a bit, the detent will snap up and into your pivot pin and you're gold...some people will do this part inside a big baggie so that if (when) the detent pops out and launches itself, you can find it.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Thanks for the tips mogunner! I've got it all put together except that pivot pin. I had to go to Home Depot to get the punches this morning. I wish i would have read your post before i went to i could have gotten that tool while i was there. I was just going to order one but I have to run another errand later so i will pick one up. It's all been pretty easy so far, I did have to take the bolt catch off right after I got it in because I forgot the plunger. Lol
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I just took a 1/4" bolt, cut off the threaded part, filed a flat on one side so the drill bit wouldn't try and walk off and drilled a hole through it. Can't tell you what size, I just grabbed a drill bit and made sure it was the same size as the detent hole basically. I actually used that drill bit as my "pusher" when installing the detent and spring, I don't buy anything that I can make, lol.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

What pivot pin are we talking about? Sorry my brain isn't wanting to function right haha. Are y'all talking about the front takedown pin that attaches the upper ?

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Ya. I found that pin at Home Depot....finally.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

ponycarman wrote:What pivot pin are we talking about? Sorry my brain isn't wanting to function right haha. Are y'all talking about the front takedown pin that attaches the upper ?
The rear pin is the takedown pin, the front one is the pivot pin...the one with the detent that's a PITA to get in without shooting it across the room a couple of times. :big shock:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I didn't have any issues getting my two in first try. Maybe it was just luck lol. I used the edge of a rasor blade to hold down the spring and detent. Then started the pin. I had seen it done in a video and it worked well. I call both pins takedown pins lol.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)