My 1945 M44. Condition and markings?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
positiv4

My 1945 M44. Condition and markings?

Post by positiv4 »

I am new to Mosins and just picked this up a few days ago. A gentleman was selling off his father's WWII collection. It sounds like he owned the gun for many years, but never fired it. Looks to me like he didn't completely remove all of the cosmoline; just got the majority of the goop off. I would like to keep it's original character, but also fire the weapon. I will be tearing it down and likely applying mineral spirits to the metal, making sure the bore is good and clear, checking firing pin protrusion and need to check head space. Any other recommendations for safety??

The bolt looks to be a bit rusty? I have been able to get the body of the bolt cleaned up, but the knob of the handle is dark.

Also, the front sight hood is a little lopsided. Is there a good way to reform it or should I leave it alone?

Anyway, here are a bunch of pics of the markings and such. The gun matches, except for the bolt. Looks like it was made in Izhevsk. I'm curious if any of the other markings are rare or what there meanings are. Thanks and enjoy!!

catcracker

Re: My 1945 M44. Condition and markings?

Post by catcracker »

:welcome3: to the board.

For a new forum member, you take really nice pictures. Looks like you have a nice example of an M44 from Izhevsk. I don't see anything strange. But some of the experts here may. Sounds like all you have to do is clean it up, check the headspace, and go fire it. They are really fun to shoot, and will get everyone's attention at the range with its load report.
Welcome again.
Replacement parts are not to hard to find. The front site may be found at one of the sponsors at the top of the page. Or you can even try ebay.

Cat
positiv4

Post by positiv4 »

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like parts are definitely around. The last owner had the double-eared bayonet on this single-eared rifle, so I already picked up an original single from ebay along with an original tool kit. Incidentally, I do have a double-eared bayonet for sale :wink:
I have ammo on the way and I can hardly wait to fire some off!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice one. :vcool: :vcool: Cant tell if the bayo has one or two ears. Looks pretty good shape. I wouldn't worry about the globe on the post and globe sight. If it is shooting strait=ght then that is what matters. The globe is just to protect the post and help with the sight picture. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like the bolt handle is corroded but it looks like dried up grease on the rest of it. Should clean up nicely.

That carpet is exactly the same stuff I have in the basement where I do all my picture shooting...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, with the receiver import mark this is a more recent import, 2000's, Soviet refurb from the Ukraine hoard. Bolt looks nice as it is, probably light rust caused by handling without an oil wipedown after.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

This is one of the Mosin carbines that came in from Albania in the around 2000. Some of these were real beaters, but others were nice "as issued and used" condition like this. It's interesting because it looks like it still has the original floorplate and buttplate, although the bolt is mismatched - not uncommon on these.

Also interesting is that it is from the period when they were still "translating" the Cyrillic letter serial number prefix into Latin alphabet latters on the receiver. Who ever was doing the numbering messed up, and missed the fact that that the Cyrillic letters "TP" translate into our letters as "TR", and they gave it the U.S. serial number TP 4390 instead of TR 4390. Shortly after this, and probably in some part for this reason, importers started giving imported Soviet rifles completely new serial numbers that had nothing to do with the original.

This carbine looks like it might have escaped post-war Soviet refurb, or at least heavy extensive refurb. I notice it has a 1942-43 era stock with the "half-liner" in the front sling slot and unlined rear sling slot. These style was replaced by the pressed-in oval sling slot escutcheons in late 1943, although remaining stocks with half-liners continued to be used in very early 1944, and in late 1944 to early 1945 many unissued examples of these earlier stocks that had damage or defects to the toe of the butt were repaired and used. Is the arsenal cartouche still present on the right side of the butt? Any evidence of an arsenal repair to the toe?

Lightly clean off any active surface rust on the bolt, but do not get real aggressive with removing any discoloration and patina. Do not mess with the front sight hood. Be very gentle with cleaning the stock - you want to carefully remove any cosmoline or dirt, but not original finish or patina.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Nice rifle! :thumbsup: If that is dried up grease on the bolt, try some rubbing alcohol, preferably the 70% stuff. I had a bolt that looked like that and it cleaned it right up.
positiv4

Post by positiv4 »

Thanks all! Interesting to know it came over in the 2000s and has probably not been out of cosmo for 50 years. That's good.

The bayonet is not attached in these pics, but the rifle is set up for a single ear which I got yesterday, cleaned up today and now it snaps into place very nicely. I also disassembled and doused the bolt assembly today in boiling water to melt the cosmoline. That is tenacious stuff when dried on! But it did loosen up and wipe off. The handle still has its patina which is fine with me.

qz2026: funny about the carpet :lol:

Marcus - very cool about the butt! I hadn't detected the marks but there are 2 here. I played with the pics as best I could to decipher. The stock does not appear to have been repaired anywhere to me.

I talked to my local mom n pop range today and he's going to help me check headspace and safely fire the first few rounds when I'm all cleaned up and ready :biggrin:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Very nice little carbine, and the overall original non-refurbished condition with original cartouches still visible on the stock adds value and interest.

Liberty Tree Collectors has the original Soviet WW2 emergency pattern "ersatz" slings with the canvas strap and leather ends with thong ties for a good price, and one of these would be very correct and appropriate for a WW2 issue M44 like this.
positiv4

Post by positiv4 »

Thanks. I will check out the slings. I appreciate the info on the rifle and glad I rescued it from hot and humid garage before any real damage was done.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

id leave the front sight alone nice rifle :thumbsup:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Very nice Model 44 I'll take one in that condition over a refurb anytime.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
positiv4

Post by positiv4 »

Awesome. I feel better about the buy. I was not very knowledgeable going in, but I did know to pop the bolt and shine the bore. Rifling looks crisp all the way to the crown.

So it wasn't refurbished? There would be different markings if it had??
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Many - but not all - Soviet post-war refurbished Mosins got added markings on the wood and/or metal. The most common are boxes with an X, a diagonal line, or a straight line down the middle. There are a number of others, such as circles with an X in them, crossed picks or hammers, and other geometric designs.

Also, a lot of them had parts renumbered to match. Some of these will have the numbers from the serial number but not the Cyrillic letters prefix, others will have the letter prefix but the font is different than the one used for the original numbers on the barrel.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Welcome aboard! Notice the cross grain sanding marks in all the pictures of the butt stock finish yet the stamps are very clear. I would pull the butt plate and check if they actually did such a great and unusual job on fixing a butt problem what Marcus says might be there is actually so well fixed we aren't seeing it. Under that plate the fix should be easy to see where the splice might be. Nice un refurbed and kind of hard to find M44! Bill :wink:
positiv4

Post by positiv4 »

Got it all cleaned up and had the smith at my range check headspacing and pin and test fire it for me ($20 well spent). I went to pick it up tonight and he let me blast a couple even though they don't allow that caliber. It goes boom!!! :biggrin: That's some fun shooting.