Izhevsk [SA] 91/30's

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Izhevsk [SA] 91/30's

Post by Rongo »

Lately I've found myself focusing on 91/30's for some reason. Maybe it's all the hype they will soon dry up & soon be available on the secondary market only.... Who knows??? I'm usually getting them from the secondary level as well as retail from places like Gander Mtn & Fleet Farm... Under $100 & I can pick what I want.

The latest two I'm posting now; A pair of [SA] Izhevsk dated 36 & 37.

1937 [SA] Izhevsk 91/30

Got this one on another Forum, it had been available for the better part of a week & the seller lowered the price. Didn't think much of it until another price drop & I couldn't pass at that point. It's a Double stamp [SA], Finn match bolt, cool repair on the stock around the crossbolt, Finn 2-peice stock, great stock finish & very nice bore. Smooth action & crisp Finn trigger. That & it fills another year.

Next up....

1936 [SA] Izhevsk 91/30

This was from the same forum... Different member. It too sat for a bit, had a drop in price & I had to go for it as well. Not as nice as the 37, but it filled a year I didn't have, had that "Rode hard pony" look, [SA] stamp upside down on the opposite typical corner & did I mention it was Finn??? Paid a few $$$ more for this over the other but I just had to have it.
Turns out the owner before the seller bought it, hung it on his mantle & that's where it stayed. It does have a small & faint CAI import stamp on the end of the barrel so I'm guessing it was a mid to late 90's import???
When it arrived it needed some help. Stock was dry as a bone, bolt was stiff & I soon found rust falling out of it. bore was a bit rough with pitting & a little rust, counterbored & missing cleaning rod. Also, mismatched upper handguard, original pre-war Soviet stock was oiled by the Finns.

I took it to the bench, completely disassembled it & put a liberal soak of Lemon oil on the wood. I put all the small parts including the bolt in a bucket & soaked them in oil. I treated the stock four times before it was done... It was very dry from sitting on that mantle over the years. But I saved it, stopped the rust, got the bore to a respectable level & gave it a good coat of oil for storage. Bolt works smooth again & it too has a nice trigger.

The pair together...

My Fleet of [SA] Izhevsk 91/30s'

(Bottom to top)
1936 [SA], 1937 [SA], 1938 [SA] & 1939 [SA]
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SA 91/30's breeding like rabbits

Post by millman »

Great rifles. Congrats.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Thanks for posting. i enjoyed looking at them.
That's a weird (to me) symbol on the last one's stock, like a star, or four M's with the legs touching.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

That is an interesting mark isn't it?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I noticed that too. I think it's a flower or something. Notice that left of it there is the faint Tula star. It's not as visible as the flower. These are great. I have 2 different SA 91/30's and they couldn't be more different from each other. I need to dig up my pictures. These are great rifles Ron. Lots and lots of character.
C-SectionSamurai

Post by C-SectionSamurai »

It's an unknown Finnish mark; it appears on quite a few Finnish 91/30s.
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

Nice bunch of goodies there! :D
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great stuff you have going there!

Although it's almost a guarantee that most Mosins have seen at least guard duty, if not all out combat, not all of them are still in their final battle dress. These Finn Captures have that allure of mystique, and no dipped bluing or sloppy shellac to cover it all up.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
dou44

Post by dou44 »

very nice rifles.makes me want to buy another one again.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Man, if they are breeding like rabbits, after a couple of litters, the price should drop. Then I could get one :mrgreen:

Amazing rifles!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Thanks everyone. 8-)

My goal on the 91/30's is to have 1930-1944... Can be Tula or Izhevsk. Missing 32, 34, 43 & 44 at this point. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The '43 and '44 are going to be tough!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I thought this was about steves collection.. :biggrin: :biggrin: Those are super nice :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

well I hope they do breed like rabbits, I put all my M/N's in their own vault and expect to see some little ones soon. Maybe a nice m38! :D
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

All these pix make me want to buy another one and I haven't gotten very aquainted with the darling I have. :mrgreen:
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Those are nice. I wouldn't pass up a Finn either for 91/30 prices.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

:toast: Nice pair of rifles there!

I like the repair around the crossbolt on the 37, I've never seen a repair like that one before.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Finns Ron, yea, soon enough they will all be gone, hiding in personal collections like ours while all the new guys wait for us to kick the bucket so they get a shot at our gear :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

martin08 wrote:The '43 and '44 are going to be tough!
I always save the easy ones for last. :wink:

"Dang that entropy"
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice Finns Ron, yea, soon enough they will all be gone, hiding in personal collections like ours while all the new guys wait for us to kick the bucket so they get a shot at our gear :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
How old are you?

:big laugh:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.