Cool Mosin Video

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TulaTom

Cool Mosin Video

Post by TulaTom »

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75KQR6npA6E[/BBvideo]Too bad it's not dubbed in English, but I still enjoyed the old film.
desdem12

Re: Cool Mosin Video

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

That's exactly what a russian-mosin-nagant.com convention would look like if we ever had one!

Cool video! Thanks for posting it :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

Don't suppose anyone speaks Russian and can translate this? Cool video!
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That was pretty cool.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Longview

Post by Longview »

Hi All, I noticed at 3 minutes 15 seconds into the video there's a fellow who fires a shot and reloads. First he pulls the cocking knob and cocks the rifle, then goes on to work the bolt. I tried that out, and it helps by giving you more 'swing room' to build up momentum to unlock the lugs...There's more degrees of revolution (pun intended) of the bolt handle before the bolt unlocks. I have a 91/30 whose bolt is always hard to close and open, and this little trick really helped cycling the bolt.

~Longview
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Good eye, Longview. I didn't catch that.
I did like seeing the stripper clip used. I've never even seen a stripper clip before. So I liked seeing that.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

pacanis wrote:Good eye, Longview. I didn't catch that.
I did like seeing the stripper clip used. I've never even seen a stripper clip before. So I liked seeing that.
Stripper clips are great once you figure out how to properly use them. Sure beats loading one round at a time. There are vids on youtube that show you how.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Longview wrote:Hi All, I noticed at 3 minutes 15 seconds into the video there's a fellow who fires a shot and reloads. First he pulls the cocking knob and cocks the rifle, then goes on to work the bolt. I tried that out, and it helps by giving you more 'swing room' to build up momentum to unlock the lugs...There's more degrees of revolution (pun intended) of the bolt handle before the bolt unlocks. I have a 91/30 whose bolt is always hard to close and open, and this little trick really helped cycling the bolt.

~Longview
I caught that too and wondered what the heck he was doing.
sclinesr wrote:
pacanis wrote:Good eye, Longview. I didn't catch that.
Stripper clips are great once you figure out how to properly use them. Sure beats loading one round at a time. There are vids on youtube that show you how.
Yeah but did you see how easy he did it? I have strippers and they don't work that easy. I have to tilt the top round up to push them out into the mag.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

One other thing I found out about these that I saw on another youtube video was if you slide the bolt forward and only move the handle downward about a centimeter it stops. Then if you pull the trigger the bolt closes the rest of the way on it's own. If I remember correctly it only works if the magazine is completely emtpy too.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I can't believe how much info is in this video. It is worth viewing over and over.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will have to save this one for later :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Excellent!! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

WeldonHunter wrote:One other thing I found out about these that I saw on another youtube video was if you slide the bolt forward and only move the handle downward about a centimeter it stops. Then if you pull the trigger the bolt closes the rest of the way on it's own. If I remember correctly it only works if the magazine is completely emtpy too.
I've dry fired my M/N with that trick to lesson wear & tear on the firing pin. But what would happen if you attempted this with a bullet in the magazine? Would the firing pin strike the primer before the bullet was properly seated and the bolt closed? Looks like an invitation to danger...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Not sure i would wanna ride around in that truck either with all the bayos attached. Hit the brakes real fast and everybody in front of the next guy gets stuck by the guy behind. :big shock: :big shock: :no:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

audadvnc wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:One other thing I found out about these that I saw on another youtube video was if you slide the bolt forward and only move the handle downward about a centimeter it stops. Then if you pull the trigger the bolt closes the rest of the way on it's own. If I remember correctly it only works if the magazine is completely emtpy too.
I've dry fired my M/N with that trick to lesson wear & tear on the firing pin. But what would happen if you attempted this with a bullet in the magazine? Would the firing pin strike the primer before the bullet was properly seated and the bolt closed? Looks like an invitation to danger...
I'm not talking about dry firing. I never dry fire any firearm. It's simply not healthy for them in my opinion. They were designed to be fired with a primer to stop the firing pin from over extending, slamming the pin against the sides of the bolt. What I'm talking about here is a way to close the bolt while not cocking it. It's like a decocking feature. The firing pin isn't cocked in the first place so it's not dangerous even if you did happen to have a shell in battery which there normally wouldn't be unless you manually put it there. The procedure is done to have the bolt closed without having the firing pin spring sitting there with tension on it. The part about it not working with the magazine full may be the way it's designed for safety. I'm talking about the magazine being empty here and not having one in battery or the chamber. I saw it here near the end of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2GAwIlmfI
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

You recock the rifle when you raise the bolt after firing. That's one reason the bolt seems so stiff. So if you have a sticky bolt, pulling back on the cocking knob first will make opening the bolt easier. When you close the bolt and turn it right to the first click (not all the way down) the bolt is not yet in battery. You pull the trigger and the cocking knob goes forward, the bolt goes into battery and the firing pin is decocked all at once. :o Yeah, it's kind of shocking. The rifle shouldn't fire. I'm not saying it won't, but it shouldn't. So you can have a round in the chamber with the bolt in battery, but with the firing pin decocked. You won't be able to fire the rifle until you manually pull the cocking knob to the rear. You'll be able to see if the rifle is cocked or not by looking for the mounting screw in the rear of the receiver. If the rifle isn't cocked, you can see the screw. If the rifle is cocked, the cocking knob is covering the screw.

The preceding paragraph is a summary of what I think I know. :redfaced: So take if for what it's worth. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone who knows better will correct me. :D

Incidentally, I did load one round into the magazine, push it down, then close the bolt over the top of it so it did not load into the chamber. With one round in the magazine and none in the chamber, I turned the bolt to the right one click, then pulled the trigger. The bolt went into battery, the cocking knob went forward (beyond the rear mounting screw) and I assume the firing pin was decocked.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

p-t-max wrote:You recock the rifle when you raise the bolt after firing. That's one reason the bolt seems so stiff. So if you have a sticky bolt, pulling back on the cocking knob first will make opening the bolt easier. When you close the bolt and turn it right to the first click (not all the way down) the bolt is not yet in battery. You pull the trigger and the cocking knob goes forward, the bolt goes into battery and the firing pin is decocked all at once. :o Yeah, it's kind of shocking. The rifle shouldn't fire. I'm not saying it won't, but it shouldn't. So you can have a round in the chamber with the bolt in battery, but with the firing pin decocked. You won't be able to fire the rifle until you manually pull the cocking knob to the rear. You'll be able to see if the rifle is cocked or not by looking for the mounting screw in the rear of the receiver. If the rifle isn't cocked, you can see the screw. If the rifle is cocked, the cocking knob is covering the screw.

The preceding paragraph is a summary of what I think I know. :redfaced: So take if for what it's worth. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone who knows better will correct me. :D

Incidentally, I did load one round into the magazine, push it down, then close the bolt over the top of it so it did not load into the chamber. With one round in the magazine and none in the chamber, I turned the bolt to the right one click, then pulled the trigger. The bolt went into battery, the cocking knob went forward (beyond the rear mounting screw) and I assume the firing pin was decocked.
The part about the decocking feature was a sidenote but that's why I said I wasn't sure. I had noticed that when I found out about this feature I had pulled my Polish M44 and a one of my new Russian M44s off the wall to check this feature. I did this outside. The Russian did exactly what the video showed. Cool so I put that gun back on the rack. Next for the Polish. The reason I pulled the Polish down is because it always has 3 rounds in the magazine. It's a backup large preditor gun. We have bears around here as well as packs of coyotes, ferel dogs, ferel/wild pigs and some wolves. Red wolves actually but they're very rare. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway, I tried to see if the decocker would work with 3 rounds in it so there would be a few rounds below the interuptor. It didn't work so I thought it was a design feature just so you didn't use this feature with the gun loaded for safety. I thought it must be connected to the interuptor in some way while marveling at the craftsmanship of these guns even more. The fact is I just pulled both rifles off the wall again to recheck this. This time I tried the decocking with the Polish with no rounds in it and guess what. It didn't work unloaded either. I had to push the bolt slightly forward to get it to decock. The bolt on this gun has always felt sloppy. It's always been too easy to cycle after firing and sometimes the bolt handle rises up some when fired. I think this gun's just become a wall hanger for now until I can check it further. Oh and I stand corrected about the bolt being decocked until it's pushed down. It does cock on the up cycle. I really need to shoot these guns more. That's one problem with having a bunch of different kinds off rifles and a bad memory. You have stuff happen like when I had the Mauser on full bolt safety instead of the safety being off and that huge 8 point buck walked out of the woods in front of me. Saftey on = no deer for dinner.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

My hungarian is the same. It does not work like the russians but it still shoots (at least i think so). :D