It's been a week, time for another Mosin..

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lotema

It's been a week, time for another Mosin..

Post by Lotema »

Just got my first Mosin a week ago but have absolutely fell in love with these rifles. Wound up getting another one, so that they can keep each other company in the safe when I'm not out at the range. The new one is a Molot, so possibly not as "pure" as my first one but I figured I'd at least get one of them. Gonna keep following the forums here and see what people find out about them. I have her broken down in the garage waiting for me to get home tonight to clean, so I'll just have one pic here for now. I'll post the other pictures in the Molot sub forum after I get her cleaned up.

I was bored on Saturday, so a friend and I went up to Cabelas in Tulalip WA to see what these Molot's looked like and just check if there were any that called out to me. There were around 50 sitting out on the rack with lots of folks looking at them. Some just poking fun and the "beat up trash" and others being a bit more respectful of what the Mosin is. 90% of the ones there were Izhevsk '42 & '43 and they were in stocks of all kinds, pre, war and post war stocks. Condition of the stocks ranged from pristine to banged up and one was cracked horribly behind the trigger and a second crack from the cross bolt. I really don't think that one would have been safe to fire at all, the stock likely would have shattered. There was only one there that was intriguing though. It looked to be a '41 Tula but I couldn't guarantee the date stamp. The 194 was reasonably clear but the 1 at the end, I just couldn't be sure. It was in a post war stock. I know the '41 Tula is desirable and if I could have guaranteed that's what it was, it likely would have come home with me. So I didn't get anything that night but at least had an idea of what Cabelas was offering.

Went to the range with the family and some friends on Sunday and we all had a great time firing my '43. My "other" wife put us all to shame as she drilled 3 rounds all right on top of each other dead bang in the bullseye at 50 yards. I'm used to it, she's a fantastic shooter. After the range, we went south to the Cabelas in Lacey. They too had about 50 sitting on the shelf for me to take a look at. I went through each and every one of them as well. Most were similar to what I saw the night before, Izhevsk '42 & '43s. There were two that stood out to me though. There was a '31 Tula hex in a pre war stock. The bolt and barrel #'s matched but the mag floor plate and butt stock #'2 were struck through and re-stamped. I want a hex so that one was really tempting and honestly It's likely more desirable than the one I brought home. The one I did wind up getting was a Izhevsk '36 round receiver, sitting in a nice pre war stock. All numbers match, no strike through on them. The only one that I'm wondering about is the mag floor plate. It may have been scrubbed and re-stamped but I'm gonna hold of on claiming that until I can get it cleaned up. It has a pretty good amount of grease on it, so will take me a night or two to do. The barrel looks much nicer than my '43, very strong rifling, not counter bored, nice a bright. Has a few very small spots that are likely copper fouling, very few. We'll see what comes out on the patches tonight. There's one small dime sized spot of rust on the receiver but it's just surface rust. Should clean up just fine. While I know that it doesn't change the collectability etc, I really like the nice low serial number on this one..

With the Molot's being possibly less the collectors piece, this one will very likely be my "go to range" rifle. We'll see how peoples opinion on these goes over the next few years. Cabelas is selling a ton of them though. The sales lady writing me up said that they sold at least 15 on Sunday alone. They've got to have a ton more in the back then because the rack was completely full and some how after I bought mine, it was still full :shock:

Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
desdem12

Re: It's been a week, time for another Mosin..

Post by desdem12 »

Looks like a nice 3 number. Really almost all were restamped anyway but there is no wrong answer when buying these if they talk to you. Of course more pics would help. As a caviat, more unrefurbed or re issued (no late refurb) rifles have been showing up lately so might be one. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1936, a grim year for the Russians with all the purges, nice to see one that didn't get sent to Spain that year, very good choice. 1936 was the first year for round receiver at Izhevsk
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:1936, a grim year for the Russians with all the purges, nice to see one that didn't get sent to Spain that year, very good choice. 1936 was the first year for round receiver at Izhevsk
That's what I was thinking as well, a nice low serial number right when they switched to rounds would be a nice piece to have (main reason I picked it over the '31 Tula hex I saw). I've seen some posts though that say Izhevsk started in '35 and Tula in '36.. I've seen it go both ways. If '36 was the first year at Izhevsk, then I'm very happy with my choice. If it was '35, I'm still happy with it ;). Only disappointing thing is having to wait out the work week until I can fire it and see how it shoots! Until then, I've got some cleaning to do and some photos to take!

S
Lotema
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tula was a split year, half hex, half round, Izhevsk went cold turkey on the hex receivers for 1936, 1935 was their last year. Confusion happens because they also reused older hex receivers for all the years after 1935 when they had them to use.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

I would of had to of went and got a screwdriver slid the bands back and poped that ?1941 out of the stock while they werent looking and checked the tang. By the time the security guy got to me I would have known what it was and just played dumb :vconfused: Then bought it if it was a 41 :biggrin:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

gurn wrote:I would of had to of went and got a screwdriver slid the bands back and poped that ?1941 out of the stock while they werent looking and checked the tang. By the time the security guy got to me I would have known what it was and just played dumb :vconfused: Then bought it if it was a 41 :biggrin:
I did think about doing that!
Lotema
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Congrats on the nice find Lotema. I was up at the Tulalip Cabela's a few weeks ago and all the racks were full of the Molot 91/30's. Nothing really caught my eye except for a 1929 Izhevsk ex Dragoon and a lined out XO-47 that was a 1943 Izhevsk. I agree with you on the stocks as most were pretty beat up but there was a nice mixture of pre war, war time, and post war refurbs. They must have crates of MN's in the back. You put in some serious work going from Tulalip one day to Lacey the next in search of your next find. Welcome to the boards and to a budding case of Mosinitis. :thumbsup:
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Congrats on the nice find Lotema. I was up at the Tulalip Cabela's a few weeks ago and all the racks were full of the Molot 91/30's. Nothing really caught my eye except for a 1929 Izhevsk ex Dragoon and a lined out XO-47 that was a 1943 Izhevsk. I agree with you on the stocks as most were pretty beat up but there was a nice mixture of pre war, war time, and post war refurbs. They must have crates of MN's in the back. You put in some serious work going from Tulalip one day to Lacey the next in search of your next find. Welcome to the boards and to a budding case of Mosinitis. :thumbsup:
I remember having read your post about that and honestly, was hoping to find that 1929 you had mentioned! Somebody else apparently felt they needed it more than me. A hex is absolutely my next one, unless something really special jumps out at me first. I figure a pre-1929 Tula would go well in the collection. All my rifles are Izhevsk, including my AK (SGL-26), so I really should diversify with a Tula. With a 20's hex, it will fit quite a few collectable categories all in one package (dragoon or ex-dragoon, tula, hex, etc..). Now if I can find a SCW or Finn capture along with that all....

Almost have the '36 fully cleaned up and ready for a photo shoot. Just doing another cleaning with the lemon oil and then she'll be done for the night. Only piece I couldn't get broken down was the extractor. Just didn't want to budge and I didn't feel like breaking it. Going to have to get some PB Blaster and let that soak for a bit. After cleaning things up, the butt plate and magazine floor plate were definitely scrubbed and re-stamped. You can just make out the previous numbers on the butt plate, very faint. Can't quite tell whether the bolt was similarly scrubbed. I have a feeling that it was though.
Lotema
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Keep an eye on the lists from Trinity arms and Liberty tree, they both come across Finns and SCW rifles from time to time. Neither is likely to be found cheap anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Wow, nice find, wish I was in posession of that!
gurn

Post by gurn »

love that "Made in USSR" importer stamp
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This was a Trinity arms purchase in 2007 :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gurn wrote:love that "Made in USSR" importer stamp
I suspect it was more so people could identify the rifle more than anything else. That or they hoped the novelty of a Soviet weapon would help sell what was admittedly a rough looking lot of rifles. At the time these were imported there was no requirement for import marks on milsurps brought into the country. You could also buy this by mail order with no FFL.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Got pics posted in the Molot area: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=13872
Lotema
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lotema wrote:Got pics posted in the Molot area: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=13872
:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Showoff!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Well, he is!!! ;-)