How Many Mosins in the US?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Josh Smith
ban is not due to his product
ban is not due to his product

How Many Mosins in the US?

Post by Josh Smith »

Hello,

I'm looking for numbers and can't find any so far.

I'm wondering how many Russian and Russian-style Mosins -- M44, 91/30, M38, etc -- are in the US now.

I believe something on the order of 37 million were made. Is this correct?

I'm not really counting the Finnish rifles and the pre-91/30 rifles and carbines. Nothing that commands a premium.

I'm really just curious as to how many plain, average, non-collector folks have these in-hand.

I believe the Common Mosin (commune mosina, scientific name) has become the Народный винтовки, the People's Rifle. I'd just like to confirm.

I have a bet with myself that we'll see more Mosins than almost anything else (except maybe various shotguns and .22 rifles) if the social order or government breaks down. However, numbers will tell.

Regards,

Josh
Lee-online

Re: How Many Mosins in the US?

Post by Lee-online »

I just picked a PW Arms mosin and the import serial number was in the range of RMN35000. So, assuming they started at RMN00001 they alone have imported 35K+
Kollaa kestää
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

AT LEAST 25 :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Considering the fact that numerous importers have handled the MN's it's anyones guess. Plus, how many were brought home as souvenirs by American soldiers from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The sandbox in the middle east. If I were to venture a guess I would say it could be anywhere from 200k to 2 or 3 million. There are likely millions still in caches in Russia and in former eastern block nations and also pretty much every nation that ever recieved aid from the Soviet Union, Cuba, Venezuela, Afghanistan, Syria, Egypt, etc.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Other than what remains in the "Mother Country", I would venture to say that given the capitalist $$$ the US probably has the greatest stock and will remain so given that the secrets out. Looking back at some old Shotgun News from 2004 I wish that I had started collecting back then.
The Finn's commanded a premium even then, but who really knew the quality that they offered to command the prices back then.
I was still seeking after the USGI variants, aka M-1, Carbines, and '03-A1's.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I can only speak for the hundred or so that I know about.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I can only speak for the hundred or so that I know about.
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Enough for a small army; I'm sure you can issue at least 200 rounds apiece and still fight another day, right?
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Don't forget 34 million may have been made, but 34 million were also used. I guarantee that at least a 1/4 (probably more) of those got destroyed, worn out, left in the battle fields, or parts used to re arsenal another rifle..

Still I would wager on millions being in the USA alone, with more arriving all the time.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tjtM38 wrote:
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Enough for a small army; I'm sure you can issue at least 200 rounds apiece and still fight another day, right?
I never said they were all mine :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Gsragtop wrote:Don't forget 34 million may have been made, but 34 million were also used. I guarantee that at least a 1/4 (probably more) of those got destroyed, worn out, left in the battle fields, or parts used to re arsenal another rifle..

Still I would wager on millions being in the USA alone, with more arriving all the time.
We do see a lot of videos of people digging up rusty Mosin on Russian battlefields.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
tjtM38 wrote:
I never said they were all mine :lol:
And you never said they weren't :chuckles:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have no idea and I know of no possible way to really tell! Bill
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I would venture to say that of all the rifles imported and brought in, in other manners a good guess would be, yes.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:twisted: :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

desdem12 wrote:AT LEAST 25 :thumbsup: :lol:
Unfortunately, I only have one so far, so there are at least 26. :lol: :biggrin:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I am wondering how many are in like Britain or austrailia and itlay , Germany. Maybe finland? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Gsragtop wrote:Don't forget 34 million may have been made, but 34 million were also used. I guarantee that at least a 1/4 (probably more) of those got destroyed, worn out, left in the battle fields, or parts used to re arsenal another rifle..

I say yes there would have to be millions in the US. Have never seen a crate here ever, maybe the one dealer here who used to have Mosins fairly regularly (until recently) would have had a few crates of them, at any one time

But go to a gun store here, you are not going to see racks. You're not even going to see any on display; they might have one or two out the back but most sales here are singly and from private owners (through dealers, by compulsory legislation)
Last edited by zhuk on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

desdem12 wrote:I am wondering how many are in like Britain or austrailia and itlay , Germany. Maybe finland? :D

A drop in the ocean, compared to the numbers you have :)

Mosins are around, but in relatively small numbers.

Not many people shoot service rifle competition here, most firearm owners are recreational hunters and I would wager fairly few of them would use Mosins regularly, preferring modern scope hunting rifles.

The number of licensed Collectors here would also be comparatively few in number, and most would probably concentrate on Enfields (with maybe the occasional Mauser thrown in Lol)
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I'd say more than 100 and less than 35 million. Calculate the standard deviation of all the rifles owned by members of the forum and then have a drink.(or two) :chuckles: :chuckles:
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

wolfstein wrote:
I'd say more than 100 and less than 35 million. Calculate the standard deviation of all the rifles owned by members of the forum and then have a drink.(or two) :chuckles: :chuckles:

Probably the most likely calculation possible :P lol