Found a Swiss K31

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
A_King89

Found a Swiss K31

Post by A_King89 »

Ok so i been on the hunt for a Makarov here lately, will more than likely purchase one at the beginning of June. But this past weekend while on this hunt i ran across a Swiss K31. I have no clue what they are normally worth.. but they gun store was askin like $395 for if my memory serves me right. Not sure if thats way over priced or not.. jus thought i would see what they run for and if anyone here has one and what they thought bout em.
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Found a Swiss K31

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice quality rifles, I have one, but bought it years ago, I don't know what they go for now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Cool thanks! Yeah it was the first i had seen of them. Was kinda confused at first but then saw the huge Swiss Cross on it lol
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

These have seemed to rise faster then the other milsurps. The were running in the 250 range but I see they are around 300ish now. That is at distributers so you would have to pay shipping and transfer on top so about 350 ish or so. 395 is high to me but not too far out there. The condition of these is excellent and I have never seen a bad one. IT should be all matching. I am not sure I would buy a non matching k31 for that price. Usually they all match except some magazines. Have a look on gb and here http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPa ... 4b36366ec8 and see what they have. They are very accurate and there is surplus ammo available at least for now. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't depend on Swiss surplus being around forever, even now it's expensive. Set up to reload for it, a lot of people shoot these rifles, the surplus will evaporate.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Don't depend on Swiss surplus being around forever, even now it's expensive. Set up to reload for it, a lot of people shoot these rifles, the surplus will evaporate.
+1 JYD! There is some surplus around, but only because it has been, shall I say, hoarded a bit. No large quantities either. A lot of owners on other Boards thought this was an endless supply from the Swiss. Seems none has been showing up from the Swiss here or in Canada. Remember, if the importers have none for sale, the Distributors are releasing some of their stock at their price. Actually, when has anyone seen a recent import of rifles or ammo from the Swiss? It is no longer an affordable target rifle to go shoot a few hundred rounds a week now. Word to the wise, start reloading for any Swiss you have or buy. Best act now or you may have a rifle with no ammo available very shortly.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

SOG just got a shipment of Swiss rifles but those without a C&R won't be able to see them. They even have some with matching bayonets but you have to ask as they are not listed. They have K31, 1911 and 1896 also. They run from $350.00 to $380.00. You can get handpicked but they are all very nice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Longcolt44 wrote:SOG just got a shipment of Swiss rifles but those without a C&R won't be able to see them. They even have some with matching bayonets but you have to ask as they are not listed. They have K31, 1911 and 1896 also. They run from $350.00 to $380.00. You can get handpicked but they are all very nice.
Are these direct from the Swiss Government, or after market from Swiss dealers buying them for export to here? Just like the Swede rifles we see coming here as Simpson has for sale.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

One nice thing is the Swiss "surplus" ammunition besides being match grade is that it is non corrosive. The rifles are usually mechanically excellent but you might get a stock that is a bit beat up near the butt, Another nice feature is that underneath the butt plate you may find a tag with the information on the soldier who it was issued to
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:SOG just got a shipment of Swiss rifles but those without a C&R won't be able to see them. They even have some with matching bayonets but you have to ask as they are not listed. They have K31, 1911 and 1896 also. They run from $350.00 to $380.00. You can get handpicked but they are all very nice.
Are these direct from the Swiss Government, or after market from Swiss dealers buying them for export to here? Just like the Swede rifles we see coming here as Simpson has for sale.
I don't know. I will look at the importer tomorrow as we have some in the shop, which by the way is owned by one of the owners of SOG so If he comes in I will ask.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Only reason I ask is because I am unsure of a number of these rifles as to whether they came from their Military Surplus, or rifles repurchased by Swiss dealers from households. Then sent to a US importer. With the Swedes, I am not real happy with some of the things about their buy backs.
Specifically the fact they were never Arsenal Refurbished before selling to one of our importers. I have waited too long I think to buy a Swiss due to this.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Don't depend on Swiss surplus being around forever, even now it's expensive. Set up to reload for it, a lot of people shoot these rifles, the surplus will evaporate.
+1 JYD! There is some surplus around, but only because it has been, shall I say, hoarded a bit. No large quantities either. A lot of owners on other Boards thought this was an endless supply from the Swiss. Seems none has been showing up from the Swiss here or in Canada. Remember, if the importers have none for sale, the Distributors are releasing some of their stock at their price. Actually, when has anyone seen a recent import of rifles or ammo from the Swiss? It is no longer an affordable target rifle to go shoot a few hundred rounds a week now. Word to the wise, start reloading for any Swiss you have or buy. Best act now or you may have a rifle with no ammo available very shortly.
In 1899-1900 the Swiss sold Bannerman the remaining stockpiles of Vetterli rifles and ammo, problem was there was very little ammo. Bannerman would offer the rifles for a few bucks with 40 rounds of ammo, only they forgot to tell people that there was no more ammo available. The good part of that was many of the Vetterlis were not fired and just stuck up on walls for us to find a century later with mint bores.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Only reason I ask is because I am unsure of a number of these rifles as to whether they came from their Military Surplus, or rifles repurchased by Swiss dealers from households. Then sent to a US importer. With the Swedes, I am not real happy with some of the things about their buy backs.
Specifically the fact they were never Arsenal Refurbished before selling to one of our importers. I have waited too long I think to buy a Swiss due to this.
Most K31's I would guess were surplus, even though active solders kept their weapons at home, only those retiring after many years of service were eligible to keep their service weapon. Those would be the ones I expect would most likely go unchecked by the military, they will have "P" stamped around the serial number, it indicated "PRIVAT". Some were made also for private sale in Switzerland and a few were exported from there, but they would fall in a specific serial number range, and also be designated by a "P" stamp. A rifle with no "P" stamp would be a standard surplus military rifle that was sitting in a storage area, not a private owned weapon.

I don't think I've ever really heard of or seen a worn Swiss rifle, or one that shot badly(saw a bubba one once :vsad: ). As for Arsenal Refurb's, they are out there also, one of mine made in '41 was refurbed in '54. Personally if you want one, I'd get one, they are no longer made and probably not many left any more. As for the ammo, I buy and hoard :oops: the surplus, kind of like 7.5 French and shoot the commercial stuff and keep the brass. The 7.5 Swiss I'm guessing while still used there for public shooting matches, the military has switched over to the standardized NATO ammo.

Hopefully one of the days, the Vetterli I have will breath fire again. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Thanks Carl! Now I know what to look for when I see one!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Vetterli :)
Theodore Roosevelt