Dunhams actually had a 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bocephus

Dunhams actually had a 91/30

Post by bocephus »

I'd been hearing rumors of Dunhams occasionally having one, I hadn't seen any lately. Went to one and they had one in. The guy said they've been getting about one per month.

A 42 Tula and I own no wartime Tulas so I took it with me. Nice wartime stock, overall looks pretty good. Was pretty greasy, the grease was somewhat clear and thin. Not the discolored grease you usually find.

No Mosin sales at Dunhams for months so it was $146 with tax. Oh and if anyone is interested the Belleville one had a 42 Izhevsk today. All stamped with no prefixes, receiver stamp pretty hard to see.

What's up with the solid black marks on the stock?

Worst Tula star I've seen, is that a refurb marked stamped right onto the star?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Dunhams actually had a 91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

very nice rifle
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The black spots I'd say are the glue from the laminate discoloring the wood or "refurb paint" slopped on it then shellacked over.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Nice! I got a nice 1943 Tula about a month and half ago from my local Dunhams. I think you have the twin to mine. Haven't check it out at the range yet but I'm quest it will be awsome.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mogunner wrote:The black spots I'd say are the glue from the laminate discoloring the wood or "refurb paint" slopped on it then shellacked over.
That one is in a hardwood stock, just has the extra cross bolt some hardwood stocks have, Paint is what it looks like, sloppy work with it. I am guessing that the least skilled/most drunk workers got the paint and shellac detail.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice pickup. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I have a 42 tula I use for ammo testing cause it shoots everything good
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I'll take another look but paint was the first thing I thought of. There's no texture to it, it has the same smooth texture as the rest of the stock. So maybe shellac over paint?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They applied shellac over paint all the time, I have seen that on many of my refurbs, they applied the shellac in a sloppy fashion as well, it's on metal and wood.
Theodore Roosevelt