New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
EvilElecBlanket

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by EvilElecBlanket »

Hi all.

I've been lurking for awhile learning a lot. I guess I'm one of the "new guys" who showed up becuase of the latest political craziness. Back in December, i figured it was time to go ahead and get the Ak I'd been thinking about forever becuase I was worried about a future ban. Well, during this time, someone mentioned these old WWII Russian rifles that didnt cost much, the ammo is cheap, and they have great penatration. A week later, and very little studying, I'm sitting on my porch starring at a spam can holding a chisel and hammer (there was a T-53 in the corner) wondering what I was doing! :shock: After checking out youtube and finding this forum, I got the can open and found out about Mosinitist (no pictures, but I am working on it !) I've got 5 now with a laminate from Aim on the way. :D

I've bought head gauges and checked firepin depths before putting about 500 rounds through some of them while having a ton of fun!

Oh yeah, I shot the Ak once (about 45 rounds) it was okay, I guess :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

EvilElecBlanket wrote:Hi all.

I've been lurking for awhile learning a lot. I guess I'm one of the "new guys" who showed up becuase of the latest political craziness. Back in December, i figured it was time to go ahead and get the Ak I'd been thinking about forever becuase I was worried about a future ban. Well, during this time, someone mentioned these old WWII Russian rifles that didnt cost much, the ammo is cheap, and they have great penatration. A week later, and very little studying, I'm sitting on my porch starring at a spam can holding a chisel and hammer (there was a T-53 in the corner) wondering what I was doing! :shock: After checking out youtube and finding this forum, I got the can open and found out about Mosinitist (no pictures, but I am working on it !) I've got 5 now with a laminate from Aim on the way. :D

I've bought head gauges and checked firepin depths before putting about 500 rounds through some of them while having a ton of fun!

Oh yeah, I shot the Ak once (about 45 rounds) it was okay, I guess :D
AK's are easy, Mosins take some study :) Sounds like your collection is going like gangbusters, welcome to the board and I look forward to the pics :)
James811

Re: New Member from NE Ohio

Post by James811 »

cjsimoh wrote:Hi all,

I'm a new member from NE Ohio and am looking to get my first Mosin Nagant. I've been searching and haven't found anything available locally and I am hoping that more stock shows up soon at some of the big box stores or LGSs around here. There is some availability on-line, but I'd hate to buy one sight unseen. How's the availability in other parts of the country? Also, I have seen a few advertised on-line as "unissued". Does that mean not used? They are pretty pricey (around $450) but if it's never been used it might be worth it? They are "B" barrels with one with the serial number in the 48,000s and another with the serial number in the 23,000s. Any info about where I might find one would be helpful. Thanks!
You may want to check armslist.com. I have seen quite a few 91/30s on there that are in Northern Ohio. You will actually be able to see and hold the rifle this way. Most if not all are being sold by private sellers.
mbackman66

Post by mbackman66 »

Hi,

I'm Matt from Vermont and recently the proud owner of my first Mosin-Nagant.

I've been thinking about buying my first ever firearm for the last 2 years and finally decided that a Mosin would be a good place to start. My birthday was a few days after our tax returns came in and my wife says, "hey, why don't you buy that gun you've been talking about forever." I hate to spend money on myself, but when the wife suggests it...

I read some reviews of AIM Surplus and decided to take a chance on a mystery Hex. My FFL called me this past Monday and I picked it up on Tuesday. Much to my surprise, I opened the box to find an Izhevsk 1928 Ex-Dragoon in excellent condition.

I've been pretty busy with work and at home so this weekend I'm gonna set aside some time to clean and photograph my new baby. At some point during this process I'm sure I'll come up with a good name for her. Anybody else name their rifles?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mbackman66 wrote:Hi,

I'm Matt from Vermont and recently the proud owner of my first Mosin-Nagant.

I've been thinking about buying my first ever firearm for the last 2 years and finally decided that a Mosin would be a good place to start. My birthday was a few days after our tax returns came in and my wife says, "hey, why don't you buy that gun you've been talking about forever." I hate to spend money on myself, but when the wife suggests it...

I read some reviews of AIM Surplus and decided to take a chance on a mystery Hex. My FFL called me this past Monday and I picked it up on Tuesday. Much to my surprise, I opened the box to find an Izhevsk 1928 Ex-Dragoon in excellent condition.

I've been pretty busy with work and at home so this weekend I'm gonna set aside some time to clean and photograph my new baby. At some point during this process I'm sure I'll come up with a good name for her. Anybody else name their rifles?
Welcome to the board Matt, I always liked the markings on the older ex dragoon rifles like that 1928 better than Izhevsk's later markings. Cool, look forward to the pics. Name? No, I just call whatever one I happen to be shooting "my rifle" :lol: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Hi there. I just received my first Mosin last night. I'm going to make a thread, post some pics and start asking my questions !
Thanks !
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zedteamk2 wrote:Hi there. I just received my first Mosin last night. I'm going to make a thread, post some pics and start asking my questions !
Thanks !
Welcome to the board :) :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

hi, i'm Charlie from SC, just bought my first mosin. being cleaning. can't wait to take it to the range
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Surveyor wrote:hi, i'm Charlie from SC, just bought my first mosin. being cleaning. can't wait to take it to the range
Welcome to the board Charlie :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Terlingueno

Post by Terlingueno »

Howdy, I'm Terlingueno from Texas. I have a couple Type 53's. Thanks for your board
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Terlingueno wrote:Howdy, I'm Terlingueno from Texas. I have a couple Type 53's. Thanks for your board
Welcome to the board, Texas is in the news today, hope that isn't near you, we are seeing a lot of type 53's of late since the Balkan hoard was brought in, nice :) :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Terlingueno

Post by Terlingueno »

Thanks. I am in Far West Texas. Near the ghost town of Terlingua. However Mexico is 100 meters from my duty station.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
tdocz

Post by tdocz »

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest,
I cannot recall if I ever posted an introduction note, so here goes. I am an avid Mosin Nagant enthusiast, as well as Makarov pistols among other firearms. Call me gun guy but I am also a college professor by vocation, with a PhD in Physics. I am a student of all aspects of firearms and shooting-related. There is always so much to learn yet so little time in the day. It is a good thing my family indulges me in my hobbies. In summary, I am pleased to be a part of this forum community. Cheers!

:)

Tony
"Let them eat cake..."
Andy

Post by Andy »

Since I just turned 53, I figured I would buy a Type 53. While I don't plan on making it a daily shooter, would like to know it is safe to fire occasionally. Concerned about headspace because the bolt numbers do not match the receiver numbers, I bought the 2 coin set (No-Go & Field) from Okie. I saw several places on line that said the measurement for No-Go was .071" and Field was .074". The Okie gauges I got measure .075" and .079". My Mosin passed the No-Go, but if I have incorrectly made gauges, I might still fail field. Does anyone know the correct measurement? I sent an email to Okie, but have yet to hear back from them. I am using a Starrett 1202-6 Dial Caliper, with .001" graduations to measure the gauges.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tdocz wrote:Greetings from the Pacific Northwest,
I cannot recall if I ever posted an introduction note, so here goes. I am an avid Mosin Nagant enthusiast, as well as Makarov pistols among other firearms. Call me gun guy but I am also a college professor by vocation, with a PhD in Physics. I am a student of all aspects of firearms and shooting-related. There is always so much to learn yet so little time in the day. It is a good thing my family indulges me in my hobbies. In summary, I am pleased to be a part of this forum community. Cheers!

:)

Tony
Welcome to the board Tony, if we have any physics questions we now know who to ask :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Andy wrote:Since I just turned 53, I figured I would buy a Type 53. While I don't plan on making it a daily shooter, would like to know it is safe to fire occasionally. Concerned about headspace because the bolt numbers do not match the receiver numbers, I bought the 2 coin set (No-Go & Field) from Okie. I saw several places on line that said the measurement for No-Go was .071" and Field was .074". The Okie gauges I got measure .075" and .079". My Mosin passed the No-Go, but if I have incorrectly made gauges, I might still fail field. Does anyone know the correct measurement? I sent an email to Okie, but have yet to hear back from them. I am using a Starrett 1202-6 Dial Caliper, with .001" graduations to measure the gauges.
Welcome to the board Andy. Todd will get back to you, he a bit busy. If the rifle passes no/go then you are good to go after you visually inspect the rifle for any obvious problems. The type 53 is a well made rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
Andy

Post by Andy »

It's a hefty rifle for sure. Seems pretty solid except the bolt lockup seems pretty loose. I understand many battle rifles are like that so they can slog through all muck and mire of war. It is a little tighter with a round in the chamber though. Heck, I think I could flick my wrist and pop it open if there was no round in it... maybe.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The secret of the Mosins long success in Russia is due to it's loose tolerances. Mud and snow have trouble freezing up these actions but the Mauser with it's tight tolerances would freeze solid and be useless.
Theodore Roosevelt
greydawg

Post by greydawg »

Hi, new Mosin owner with 91/30, M1944 and Chinese Type 53 so far. Don't know much but wanting to learn and have some fun with history.