Is the SKS sufficient enough for rural survival?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Is the SKS sufficient enough for rural survival?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's not the number of rounds, it's how well they are placed. Some people when confronted by an angry bear may fire all ten rounds and miss with all ten because they are shaking and unable to control either the weapon or themselves . That goes for someone who is packing a .405 Winchester as well. A friend of mine killed a bear with a .38 snub, he was taken by surprise, but he kept his head, and knew his only hope was an eye shot, and he did just that. People today are obsessed with powerful firearms as if they were the cure all for lack of skill, men 170 years ago killed bears with caplock Hawken single shot muzzleloaders, shortly before that they did it with flintlock muskets. Part of that was they simply had bigger balls than we do, but skill played a big part.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:...Part of that was they simply had bigger balls than we do...
Would those have been swaged or cast?

I guess .451 is too small, huh?
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are for my Ruger Old Army :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I think I would want a 7.62x54R for a really big wild hog. I've shot the small ones with my 7.62x39 AK and SKS and stopped them with one shot. But those damn big ones have so much fat you must hit the sweet spot or be prepared to unload cause they are very fast and wild crazy when wounded.If thy have piglets they are twice as dangerous ,even when hit in a vital spot unless you have a big ,fast bullet.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's why you should bring a friend along and have him armed with a 12 gauge packing slug, or a large bore rifle for backup.
Theodore Roosevelt