Mossberg 500 Tactical conversions

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Sirex

Re: Mossberg 500 Tactical conversions

Post by Sirex »

I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 6 field/home combo as my primary HD gun. It has a 18" barrel (on the gun) and a 28" ribbed barrel for general field use, with a fixed modified choke. The only things I added was a light and laser. The light was deemed important after we found out late one night my daughter sleep walks. The laser is lined up with the bead at room distance in case my wife needs to use it. I am putting a speed feed stock on it as well, then that's it. I keep it loaded with the first round a rubber slug (even though the Mossberg 500 can cycle in 1/2 a second to the next, I weighed the possibility on my son finding it and I could never live with myself if something happened like that). No matter how well we try to put things out of sight, and lock them up, kids are curious and determined. I just err on the side of overcaution. I've already had the "gun talk" with him. Next shell in the tube is #4 buckshot for a decent spread, with the rest being 00 Federal Low recoil. I have taken into consideration I am not the only potential user. I am trying to get the wife out this spring to use the Mossberg. She's fairly decent with my 9mm, so I'm optimistic. :|
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Sirex wrote:I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 6 field/home combo as my primary HD gun. It has a 18" barrel (on the gun) and a 28" ribbed barrel for general field use, with a fixed modified choke. The only things I added was a light and laser. The light was deemed important after we found out late one night my daughter sleep walks. The laser is lined up with the bead at room distance in case my wife needs to use it. I am putting a speed feed stock on it as well, then that's it. I keep it loaded with the first round a rubber slug (even though the Mossberg 500 can cycle in 1/2 a second to the next, I weighed the possibility on my son finding it and I could never live with myself if something happened like that). No matter how well we try to put things out of sight, and lock them up, kids are curious and determined. I just err on the side of overcaution. I've already had the "gun talk" with him. Next shell in the tube is #4 buckshot for a decent spread, with the rest being 00 Federal Low recoil. I have taken into consideration I am not the only potential user. I am trying to get the wife out this spring to use the Mossberg. She's fairly decent with my 9mm, so I'm optimistic. :|
Not trying to be a jerk, or out think you. I used to have a light on my HD shotgun. I live alone, so would not be a big deal, but do you want to point your shotgun at your daughter to ID her? At night, with maybe a finger near the trigger... Just food for thought.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Fred_G wrote:
Sirex wrote:I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 6 field/home combo as my primary HD gun. It has a 18" barrel (on the gun) and a 28" ribbed barrel for general field use, with a fixed modified choke. The only things I added was a light and laser. The light was deemed important after we found out late one night my daughter sleep walks. The laser is lined up with the bead at room distance in case my wife needs to use it. I am putting a speed feed stock on it as well, then that's it. I keep it loaded with the first round a rubber slug (even though the Mossberg 500 can cycle in 1/2 a second to the next, I weighed the possibility on my son finding it and I could never live with myself if something happened like that). No matter how well we try to put things out of sight, and lock them up, kids are curious and determined. I just err on the side of overcaution. I've already had the "gun talk" with him. Next shell in the tube is #4 buckshot for a decent spread, with the rest being 00 Federal Low recoil. I have taken into consideration I am not the only potential user. I am trying to get the wife out this spring to use the Mossberg. She's fairly decent with my 9mm, so I'm optimistic. :|
Not trying to be a jerk, or out think you. I used to have a light on my HD shotgun. I live alone, so would not be a big deal, but do you want to point your shotgun at your daughter to ID her? At night, with maybe a finger near the trigger... Just food for thought.
No, but I see target identification being pretty important. Fortunately when we discovered she was sleep walking, I didn't have anything. I would rather be able to identify a target, any target, than fumble around with a separate light and gun. Weighing my options, I prefer having illumination and identifying the target before releasing the safety. Knowing she sleep walks, I am more on the cautious side, but I value a light.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Understand, I used to use that, but went with a two handed option, light in one hand, gun in the other. (handgun) Target identification is not only important, it is vital! Again, you did not ask, and I am not qualified to tell you how to handle your guns, just something to think about. Guess I don't have as much faith in my trigger finger/safety than you do. Everyone has their own way of doing things.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I understand. The second to last thing I'd ever want to do is muzzle sweep one of my kids. The first being misidentify, and/or accidentally shoot them. I have a handgun, 9mm, with a really bright separate light. The plan is (we've had 2 attempts to enter our home since living here), for me to cover the hallway, my wife to get the kids. Unfortunately my son's room door is at the choke point at the top of the stairs. But She'd get them into the bedroom carrying the 9mm, me covering the shotgun, then once secured in our room on the phone and exchange guns while I go down and check out the house. That's the plan anyways. Last time I went searching for the people trying to get in, they were faster than me and took off. Our neighborhood has gone to crap in the last 8 years and with peoples homes being forclosed on, most were bought up cheap by property owners who use them for rentals. Being close to a college, a few are used as college houses, with loud parties, drinking, fights and drug stuff left all over. Sad as it was a very nice neighborhood when we moved in. We have homeless people living in tents in the woods across the street but they don't bother me as much as the college kids. The biggest issue for my kids is the people who have aggressive pit bulls and can't handle them. Our neighbor has kids, and a nice pit bull that my daughter likes, which gives her the impression they are all friendly, but we've been charged twice by pit bulls and had to pull my knife both times. The other time one just wandered into our yard and meandered off. I gotta get outa here, but easier said than done. Anyways, flashlight, attached or handheld, my choice. Laser helps the wife. Let's hope we never need to find out how it works. :vsad:
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Looks like you thought it out. Good luck relocating!
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 20 ga. bolt action with a modified adjustable choke. That was over 50 years ago and that old shotgun still works as good as it did when I was a kid. I used it many, many times for hunting ducks, rabbits,quail,dove,deer etc.I don,t think you can find a better brand name for the money than Mossberg. The model 500 I got back in the 70,s was a police trade in. It also works just fine with out any problems.I also use the 3" magnum for home defense . :D JGC
A J

Post by A J »

I bought a used Mossberg 500 and turned it into a HD gun. I simply added Hogue furniture, an 18" barrel and a sling. I also have a number of Remington 870s, one of which is also a HD gun. For that gun, I just added the Houge pistol grip, an 18" barrel and a sling. I love pump shotguns and own more than any one guy should be allowed to. Here are my views on the following topics that came up in this thread:

Politically Correct Shotguns: One of the reasons I'd rather grab a shotgun in a HD situation is that it's more socially acceptable to own a shotgun. I'm less likely to go to jail carrying a shotgun than my AK47. At close ranges, I'm probably better with the shotgun anyhow, so for me, the choice is easy.

Tacticool Shotguns: When I served in Iraq, the Army issued me a really cool red dot sight for my M4 rifle. On my first mission riding in an MRAP it literally fell off the weapon on and onto the floor. I tossed it into my backpack and it never went on another mission. Nowadays, I like my weapons clean, simple and maneuverable. I'm 50 years old and as my eyes are starting to get bad, I'm slowly moving to scopes, but iron sights are always my first choice. Nothing against tacticool stuff or the people who use them. My brother owns all sorts of "mall ninja" stuff on his weapons and he's a better shot than me!

Use of lethal force: As a retired Army officer and combat vet, I'd be less likely to use lethal force than the average civilian in the same situation. If I had to shoot, I'd likely be more lethal than most. When I returned from Iraq in 08, things that used to bother me, don't bother me any more. I don't get rattled in crazy situations like I used to. In many ways it's a huge advantage. I call it "reverse PTSD." :)

Castle Doctrine: Although I'm in a castle doctrine State, I'd be more likely to back away from a threat if possible. If I had to fight, either me or my adversaries would be dead. Recently a guy in my town shot and killed a naked man who walked into his house. It was a clean kill and the homeowner was 100% vindicated. If it were me, however, I may have simply knocked him out. I'm old and not as tough as I used to be, but a naked drunk guy would be an easy knock out.
A J

Post by A J »

Forgot one:

Pistol grips on shotguns: Traditional stocks offer better control and accuracy but I've found my pistol gripped Remington 870 to be surprisingly manageable. Even with 2-3/4" 00 buckshot, I didn't have a problem aiming, shooting and hitting targets. The biggest adjustment for me was that I found the pistol gripped 870 a bit slower to cycle follow-up shots. That's more of a problem with the shooter, than the gun though. :) Overall, I'd rather have a traditional stock in a HD situation, but there's nothing wrong with a pistol grip shotgun.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Use a chop-saw and an extended magazine. All you need. Just remember 17 and 63/64ths inch will get you ten years. And, make sure you measure from the correct point! The Feds don't play.

I did mount a flashlight with a momentary contact switch on mine to illuminate the situation, but I think it is better just to leave a light on at the other end of the house.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
A J

Post by A J »

SA1911a1 wrote:Use a chop-saw and an extended magazine. All you need. Just remember 17 and 63/64ths inch will get you ten years. And, make sure you measure from the correct point! The Feds don't play.
I wouldn't trust myself with a chop saw, a hack saw or a measuring tape, for that matter!. I'd be so concerned about inadvertently violating Federal law that I'd probably end up cutting down a 28" barrel to about 27"! :lol: To avoid any fuss, I simply purchased factory 18" barrels. They're cheap, plentiful and you don't have to go to jail! :wink:

Too bad this law even exists, especially when you can buy a Taurus Judge revolver which is, for all intents and purposes, a 4" shotgun barrel! :? Overall, I'm happy with 18" barrels on HD guns. It's short enough to get the job done. If there were no barrel length restrictions, I wouldn't be cutting any of my barrels but it would be nice to have that option. Maybe some day?

As for extended magazines, I've never had one. I simply slapped on a short barrel and called it good. Most civilian gunfights are over with 1-3 rounds anyhow. One advantage with the shorter magazine is to keep the gun slightly less nose-heavy, lighter and more maneuverable. I will concede that the extended magazine with an extra round or two is probably worth the additional weight. I just have never gotten around to getting one.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

I just picked up a Mossberg 500 20 gauge Persuader at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. I plan to put a Phoenix Kicklite stock on it and a light/laser combo. But now reading about how that might look in a coutroom, if it were to ever come to that, you all have me searching the web for a wood stock set.... :?
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Took my wife's 410 Mossberg and swapped barrels and added a 5 shot tube in place of the 3 shot tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

This is my snake chaser/ home defence Mossberg 500. Built from a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel. A couple trade deals and it ends up a Mossberg 500 with a factory 18 1/2" barrel, overall 28" ready to do either of the above tasks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
A J

Post by A J »

One of my Remington 870s is set up like that. It may not be as accurate as one with a stock, but it sure is easy to maneuver and hide. Besides, if you ever change your mind, it's a 5-minute job to swap out parts. Someone once called shotguns "the Mister Potato Head for adults." :)
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Then the Lego ARs hit the market.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

I got a 590 Special Purpose. 18.5", it holds 7+1, with a heat shield. I like it.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
sandbasser

Post by sandbasser »

I went to a gun show in Ontario, CA today. I saw something called a Mossberg Chainsaw - not really a 'conversion'. Very cool...looks like a great HD/Tactical SG.

I'm a very infrequent poster...but,I'll try adding a link.

Mossberg Chainsaw

-Ray
A J

Post by A J »

I checked out the Mossberg "Chainsaw". In my opinion, it was an overpriced tacticool crap. That chainsaw pump mechanism was ridiculous: completely impractical and an inherently flawed design.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

^^^ This. If it was, I don't know, ANYTHING else it might be cool. I want to see a 590 with a BMP gun port adapter.
Useless? Sure. But the option...

Or! A grenade cup that mounts on the bayonet stud. Like the Lee-Enfield's. Use a blank, and pow! Smoke, HE-DP, HEAT, M34s. I'd buy that in a New York minute.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.