New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Schoolie440

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Schoolie440 »

Hello! My name is Ben, I'm 25, and I just picked up my first Mosin today.
I'm feeling pretty "hooked" on piecing the puzzle together and learning as much as I can about the history of the rifle, so I probably won't be able to help getting more of them down the road.
20220320_124612.jpg
There are probably a million questions to ask, but most are my job to research and so far it has been going pretty well. My biggest question right now is about my receiver.

I have what is a clearly refurbished and force matched 91/30, mostly made of Izhevsk parts, with a 1942 barrel, what looks like a pre-1928 (iirc) magazine/trigger frame, and a roughly milled high wall receiver.
20220320_124632.jpg
20220321_032326.jpg
This made me think it was a Late-WWII receiver. I wanted to look for a tang date, assuming I'd see 1944/45, but what I see is a "19" stamped with what looks like a finnish "1", although that might just be a common stamp font, feel free to inform me.
20220320_222910.jpg
I thought I was completely lost at that point and the 19 was nonsense, but then realized that 1919 IS late-war, just a different war! It is, however, not a Hex receiver and also, it has the post-1928 izhevsk triangle instead of the bow and arrow on the tang, both of which I thought would rule out 1919. Were there non-hex receivers at that time, during Civil war/ww1 panic production? Is the triangle stamp vs bow and arrow for Izhevsk a 100% hard and fast pre/post 1928 indicator?

My dream of course is that there is some really cool story about civil war production where Izhevsk had to make super rough round receivers for just a little while in 1919, but I am aware that is pretty impossible given the other factors I mentioned. I *would* really like to know the meaning of the '19' if possible though. Any thoughts, leads, or other input are appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schoolie440

Post by Schoolie440 »

.. Or somebody was in a hurry in late WWII and hit the stamp crooked and off to the side! Haha

It's most likely a 1942 Izhevsk, just like the barrel.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Schoolie440 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:09 pm .. Or somebody was in a hurry in late WWII and hit the stamp crooked and off to the side! Haha

It's most likely a 1942 Izhevsk, just like the barrel.
:pointup: This.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TKP1991

Post by TKP1991 »

Hello, Im Tyler and I have recently begun collecting military rifles, so far I have a 1944 Tikka barreled Finnish M91, a 1942 VKT barreled Finnish M39 and a 1942 Tula 91/30.
Wagot

Post by Wagot »

Greetings everyone. I started buying Mosin Nagants when they were very cheap to own. I'm glad people are realizing how good these guns are. IMHO, it may not be the most accurate, the most handsome rifle out there but it does everything well. I don't consider myself an expert, but I can share what I know and feel the same elation of a new experience. Thanks, and regards.
Sulring

Post by Sulring »

Thank you, got some questions about a rifle I own, so I will be posting in the forum to find out if I have a nice shooter, or something worth a little bit more $$. For the record I am a Mauser and Enfield guy, but I appreciate anything old, cool, and original as possible.

Thanks,

Bryan
rurallife

Post by rurallife »

Hello. Proud member of numerous forums under this handle (falfiles, akfiles, smith&wesson, CZ, Sig, Gunboards, etc etc etc) .... and I’m thinking of getting a M39. It appears to be a mine field, hopefully I can get started without a big mistake. There’s gotta be a lot of knowledge here!
“There are so many, and our country is so small, where will we find room to bury them all?”
STBeamengine2019

Post by STBeamengine2019 »

Thank you for accepting me RMNF. Been shooting Mosen's for many years. I currently have a 91/30 (hex) and an M44. Both are magnificent rifles. Looking forward to being part of the community.
IBC

Post by IBC »

Hi
Fun to browse through all this information.
On two M39 and looking forward to learning more about.

Regards
Tryggvi
DanKuz

Post by DanKuz »

Hi,
I'm new here. I like just about any mislurp, but mosins, especially Finnish have a special place in my heart. Glad to join this forum
Kampfy

Post by Kampfy »

Rules say I have to post here first. Long time member of some other gun forums but new here. Always looking for original weapons issued during WW2, in particular Eastern Front ones. As far as Mosin Nagants go I have managed to find original, as-issued examples of the MN91, 91/30, 38, 44 and a WZ91/98/26. Which I should post pictures of at some point. Anyway, always hoping to learn whatever I can.
Slyhuntr

New member here

Post by Slyhuntr »

Hey everyone, new member but not new to the hobby. I'm Slyhuntr on all other forums, tried to use it here but it was blocked.

Can the mods allow that name? My longtime friends know me by Slyhuntr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New member here

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Slyhuntr wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 am Hey everyone, new member but not new to the hobby. I'm Slyhuntr on all other forums, tried to use it here but it was blocked.

Can the mods allow that name? My longtime friends know me by Slyhuntr.
Don't know why it would be blocked, I checked the list and nobody is using that name, it's changed as requested.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hylander

Post by Hylander »

Hi, New here and a couple questions, not sure where to post them.
Curious if an 1891 Westinghouse barreled action will fit in a basic 91/30 stock.
Also will a basic 91/30 trigger guard assembly fit ?
I know the barrel is longer on the M91 but what about the rest?
The stock on this one was chopped and trigger guard assembly missing.
Would like to get it back to normal as I can.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It won't look right in a 91/30 stock. but a triggerguard mag assembly will swap no problem.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Hylander

Post by Hylander »

Thanks,
Been googling for an M91 stock but nothing do far.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Hylander wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:26 am Thanks,
Been googling for an M91 stock but nothing do far.
They aren't easy to find. This is why we get so worked up when we see bubba stuff. Good luck.

C. S. Lewis
chamokaneman

Post by chamokaneman »

Hello, I've been interested in getting a mil surp for a while and finally ran on to a 1931 Izhevsk at my LGS recently. I plan on reloading for it and may even cast some bullets for it. Been casting for my 9mm successfully for a while, but my first foray into rifle with a .308 I have was an epic fail. Might be time to take a second try.
drmesser

Post by drmesser »

Hi all. This is my first official post. I recently purchased at what thought was a good deal, a 1954 Romanian all numbers matching m44 Mosin nagant carbine. The problem is someone thought it'd be cool to remove the front and rear sides and Jerry rig a picatinny rail. I'm finding it impossible to find the sites. But the rear side base is not like the dovetail ones I've seen that are knocked off. This one seems to be bonded to the barrel, and for the life of me I can't very much info or figure out how to put a scope rail of some kind on it for now until I locate the legitimate parts. I've had this for about 8 months and have yet to shoot it. If anyone has seen this type of site base before and knows what I need please let me know. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Buttonhook_2001

Post by Buttonhook_2001 »

I'm looking for information....like alot of people I'm sure. I've had this mosin for years but it is a little confusing as to what it is and when it was made. It is numbers matching including the bayonet???
The barrel has an over stamped date 1921/22 and the tang date is hard to read but appears to be 1918??
1649605330715.jpg
1649604965060.jpg
1649604894482.jpg
1649604958250.jpg
1649604949100.jpg
Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.