New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
aLOSTareow

Post by aLOSTareow »

New to the forum. I live in Columbia, SC. From Buffalo, NY. I've owned a Mosin for a few years. I have other (things) also. Fifured i'd join the forum to gain knowledge about it. I've realized lot of people don't know what. Mosin is.... I didn't either until i bought one. Hope to gain knowledge and maybe one day pass some on .... haha
:2cents: Still waters run deep .......
ConnieH

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by ConnieH »

Hi I’m Connie,
My dad got me into hunting and fishing at a young age and as an adult I can say I still love EVERYTHING about it. 3 cheers for my awesome dad!! I bought a few Russian rifles a WHILE back. One is a Mosin Nagant stamped 1926 and the other is a sport rifle 7-1 which is a 308 made in the Izhevsk factory.
My dad just bought me a yellow book on Mosins and we started researching markings and things on the Mosin. I came to the site for help putting the fantastic story of my Mosin together so any help would be gladly accepted.
Thank you!
Rescue615

Post by Rescue615 »

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I bought my Mosin in 1989 for $50, Along with a bunch of ammo, shot it once and really didn’t do anything with it after that as I was mostly into bow hunting. It sat in The back of my gun rack for years occasionally getting light maintenance cleaning. I recently built a new gun and bow room and got back into guns and adding to my collection, in doing so I started doing a bunch of research on Mosin Nagants and am hooked on the history of the weapon, in doing so I came across this forum.
I believe I have a Finnish M28 With a SIG barrel, however some things don’t completely match the examples I’ve found for the M28. My sight is not a M27 or M28, it may be the 91/30, my rear sling slots are filled in and a sling swivel is screwed into the bottom of the stock. I have taken pictures of most of the markings but cannot match all of them, I cannot identify the year or maker of the receiver. It was a civil guard issue. I look forward to finding more info on the gun but many markings I have yet to find literature on.
I would like to find a listing of civil guard unit numbers as the round brass plate on the stock was removed.
Thank you for accepting me on the forum, I’ll be scouring the posts for more items to look for.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Rescue615 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:46 pm Hello,
I am new to the forum. I bought my Mosin in 1989 for $50, Along with a bunch of ammo, shot it once and really didn’t do anything with it after that as I was mostly into bow hunting. It sat in The back of my gun rack for years occasionally getting light maintenance cleaning. I recently built a new gun and bow room and got back into guns and adding to my collection, in doing so I started doing a bunch of research on Mosin Nagants and am hooked on the history of the weapon, in doing so I came across this forum.
I believe I have a Finnish M28 With a SIG barrel, however some things don’t completely match the examples I’ve found for the M28. My sight is not a M27 or M28, it may be the 91/30, my rear sling slots are filled in and a sling swivel is screwed into the bottom of the stock. I have taken pictures of most of the markings but cannot match all of them, I cannot identify the year or maker of the receiver. It was a civil guard issue. I look forward to finding more info on the gun but many markings I have yet to find literature on.
I would like to find a listing of civil guard unit numbers as the round brass plate on the stock was removed.
Thank you for accepting me on the forum, I’ll be scouring the posts for more items to look for.
Post up some pics.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RodManny158

Post by RodManny158 »

Thanks for adding me onto the forum! I bought my Mosin a couple years back in 2018 and really enjoy learning the history of the gun and of course shooting it. Mine is a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30. All numbers matching including the bayonet. There are markings that don't mean anything to me yet so I hope to find some answers here! Also, I really look forward to using the market place and getting to know everyone.

Rod.
Rescue615

Here are a few pics

Post by Rescue615 »

It seems my pictures are to large so it will only let me add a few at a time.
Let’s see if this works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:thumbsup: Good first pics. Nice Finn. :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
StratosBass

Post by StratosBass »

Grandpa 93yrs gave me a rifle he got in a cave in Yokosuka at the end of WW2. It’s a single shot Remington 1918 Mosin Nagant that was used in WW1 and carried into WW2 by an American soldier who was KIA. Then taken back by US Navy troops after the surrender by the emperor of Japan. It has a name carved into it 明 大 not sure if this was the Japanese soldiers name or another meaning. I am trying to find out any info on this rifle. I contacted Remington but they said they weren’t able to help me.

The serial number on the bolt and barrel match 86801. Any info anyone has about this rifles history would be welcomed.

I’m hoping to clean up the rifle and share it’s history with my son and family. The info I have is what my grandpa shared with me.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Here are a few pics

Post by millman »

Rescue615 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm It seems my pictures are to large so it will only let me add a few at a time.
Let’s see if this works.
Looks like this to me. https://russian-mosin-nagant.com/finland_m28.html
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
StratosBass

Post by StratosBass »

8EFC020B-5200-4F4D-93B8-A757A849198A.jpeg
StratosBass wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:21 pm Grandpa 93yrs gave me a rifle he got in a cave in Yokosuka at the end of WW2. It’s a single shot Remington 1918 Mosin Nagant that was used in WW1 and carried into WW2 by an American soldier who was KIA. Then taken back by US Navy troops after the surrender by the emperor of Japan. It has a name carved into it 明 大 not sure if this was the Japanese soldiers name or another meaning. I am trying to find out any info on this rifle. I contacted Remington but they said they weren’t able to help me.

The serial number on the bolt and barrel match 86801. Any info anyone has about this rifles history would be welcomed.

I’m hoping to clean up the rifle and share it’s history with my son and family. The info I have is what my grandpa shared with me.

Thank you!
Lp1911

Post by Lp1911 »

Hi,
Just bought a Finnish Mosin 1944 (has double headed eagle on top of the hex receiver). Uses Russian style straight pull stock and a globe sight. Seems to be in good condition. Only complaint is that I had to adjust for windage so that the globe hangs 2mm off to the right, and shoots 3” high at 50 yards. I looked through calculations and cannot come up with what ammo might have been used for it to be zeroed like that ... for now using the shrink tube approach, to lengthen the post by 1mm, will see what that does.
martin5775

Post by martin5775 »

Hello, New to the forum and although I have been collecting a variety of milsurp rifles (and pistols) over the past 15 years, Mosins have always been my main interest. Bought my first 91/30 for $79 at Dunham’s and that’s what got me started. Have used the forum as a resource a few times in the past so I thought I was about time I became a member. Tons of good info and knowledge here. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge and sharing information about these historical rifles.
Jawknee

Post by Jawknee »

Hi my name is Johnny.I am new and I just bought a 1946 M44
Ishevsk.It came with a shoe box full of loaded stripper clips in paper wrap with strings on them.I dont think its ever been fired.The old man said he never fired it.Its immaculate.Problem is,I dont like the idea of a tool that s never been used.What should I do? Upload pics?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Sure, let's see some pictures, we love pictures. Just because the old man never shot it doesn't mean it's never been fired.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
noncompimp

Post by noncompimp »

I just bought my 2nd Mosin. First one was a Ishevsk 91/30 back when they were still $100 and change. I just got a super clean 1952 Polish M44 for $450. I probably still got a deal and I bought all of the Tula 168 grain steel case they had. Straight away I ordered some Prvi 182 grain reloadable brass to see how it runs. I have so many questions and I am going to a local gunshow tomorrow to see what is available. I am looking to get the basic cleaning kit as well as reloading supplies. This gun is beautiful in its stock condition. Compared to the russian model this stock has a beautiful patina and I wouldn't dream of refinishing it. The 2 things I added are a rubber butt pad and a tanker style muzzle brake. I have the synthetic mag extension in shipment. It seems the steel versions people were working on are not largely available.

My real question is, are scout scopes and picatinny rails the way to go for a SHTF/Overwatch/Hunting gun? or is it better to go with a more traditional russian side mount etc.?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

noncompimp wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:21 pm I just bought my 2nd Mosin. First one was a Ishevsk 91/30 back when they were still $100 and change. I just got a super clean 1952 Polish M44 for $450. I probably still got a deal and I bought all of the Tula 168 grain steel case they had. Straight away I ordered some Prvi 182 grain reloadable brass to see how it runs. I have so many questions and I am going to a local gunshow tomorrow to see what is available. I am looking to get the basic cleaning kit as well as reloading supplies. This gun is beautiful in its stock condition. Compared to the russian model this stock has a beautiful patina and I wouldn't dream of refinishing it. The 2 things I added are a rubber butt pad and a tanker style muzzle brake. I have the synthetic mag extension in shipment. It seems the steel versions people were working on are not largely available.

My real question is, are scout scopes and picatinny rails the way to go for a SHTF/Overwatch/Hunting gun? or is it better to go with a more traditional russian side mount etc.?
Welcome to the board, keep it simple, the M44 is good just the way it is, you don't need all that crap on it. The iron sights on these are the easiest to use even for those of us with thick glasses, and iron sights don't tend to break, an important consideration for a survival rifle, or carbine in this case.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
garcias

Post by garcias »

Hello

I'm garcias, from Spain. I own a 1937 M91/30. It was used during the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939, buried for about 20 years, unearthed during the 60s and forgot in a corner until 2020, when my father gave it to me. Using electrolysis I took off almost all the rust, bought some pieces online and an old wood stock from eastern Europe. My objective is to make all the mechanisms work, although I have no intention of using real fire.
I had some troubles with the firing mechanism, so I hope to find some answers here.

Sorry for my English and thanks for letting me join!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

garcias wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:09 pm Hello

I'm garcias, from Spain. I own a 1937 M91/30. It was used during the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939, buried for about 20 years, unearthed during the 60s and forgot in a corner until 2020, when my father gave it to me. Using electrolysis I took off almost all the rust, bought some pieces online and an old wood stock from eastern Europe. My objective is to make all the mechanisms work, although I have no intention of using real fire.
I had some troubles with the firing mechanism, so I hope to find some answers here.

Sorry for my English and thanks for letting me join!
Welcome aboard. Start a thread with pictures of what you have.

C. S. Lewis
garcias

Post by garcias »

millman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:54 pm Welcome aboard. Start a thread with pictures of what you have.
Thanks, I'm working on that!
Murkan Mike

Post by Murkan Mike »

Greetings from Saarland Germany! I've been lurking around on these pages for a few years, but thought I'd break down and join. Although I'm an American, I've lived my entire adult life in Germany.

I guess I have quite a few 3 line rifles, as I have been collecting and shooting them for 30 years. And I try to aquire any unique ones that I find. I know that you guys don't like altered rifles, but here lately, it's becoming harder and harder to find truly original ones. Most recently, I found a truly outstanding shooter, a Finnish 91/24 with a SIG barrel. Unfortunately, the previous owner had a metal plate welded (lightly) into the top of the magazine, to make it a single shot, which was required for people who had only sport shooting allowances to own rifles here in Germany. Also unfortunately, the rifle stock had been sanded and refinished with linseed oil.

But don't kick me out yet, I have many very original ones. Well, as original as can be had, none of them were handed to me by Russian soldiers.

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum.