New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ww2_bf_finland

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by ww2_bf_finland »

Kev1Doggy wrote:Just got interested in Finn M39, havnt got one yet but am looking. Is a vkt a Tikka barrel?
M39's with VKT stamped barrels were made by AV3.
VKT also modified some Belgian 91/30 barrels, stamped B, serial numbers 23294- 48978.

Lähetetty minun YAL-L21 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

IG: ww2_battlefront_finland
anthony82

Post by anthony82 »

Happy Holidays folks! My father in-law came across a Mosin Nagant years ago and just handed it over this week not really knowing what he had. Based on the markings, it's a very common, 1943, Izhevsk made Mosin. Not the rarest of finds, but I am by no means a collector, or even a history buff. It wasn't until I started doing some research on this WWII era rifle that I got excited. We took it out shooting; sighted it in at 100 & 200 yds, and to be able to hit an average size target at 200yds using the iron sights on a WWII era rifle made in Russia felt awesome! Just finding out where this rifle was made, how it came through New York during WWII (based on import stamps), and ended up in Knoxville, TN is incredible. Even more neato, in my opinion, is the original ammo with copper casings, Russian supplied cleaning solvent and oil, and accompanied bayonet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cellis_722

Post by cellis_722 »

I have owned my M44 for almost a year. Looking for an inexpensive scope for it. No going to do any mods on it. Any recommendations?
petros600

Post by petros600 »

Hello everyone from SW Florida, I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to go ahead and create an account! I m interested in all Mosin's and their variants
ludok1300r

Post by ludok1300r »

millman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:06 am Hello Ludo. I think you are our first French member.
bonjour a tous, je suis ravis d'etre le premier membre français du forum.
je possede un mosin nagant 91/30 izhevsk de 1937.
et j'aimerais trouver la signification des marquage present sur cette arme.
bonnes fetes de fin d'année a tous
Ludo
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ludok1300r wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 am
millman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:06 am Hello Ludo. I think you are our first French member.
bonjour a tous, je suis ravis d'etre le premier membre français du forum.
je possede un mosin nagant 91/30 izhevsk de 1937.
et j'aimerais trouver la signification des marquage present sur cette arme.
bonnes fetes de fin d'année a tous
Ludo
Make a new thread with some pictures and we can help you with identifying the marks.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
CTRCSWIW 126

Post by CTRCSWIW 126 »

Hello All. I bought my first Nagant in 2010, I now own 5 in total (pictures to be uploaded soon). I have been highly intrigued/fascinated by communism and its various sects for as long as I have known about it, in-part due to the motivations to know thy enemy and love thy neighbor. Something about all the unknown, known, random, and seemingly chaotic markings of the Mosins attracts me in the same way that one can be more determined by that special someone they are pursuing responding by playing hard to get; you know just enough to feel justified in your intrigue and what you don't know makes the desire to pursue stronger. Its amazing to me that in a country/system so rigid, the meaning of any given mark could be lost to history. If nothing else, Mosins allow me to hold and own a part of something that I think important and valuable. I could go on, but suffice it to say, I like Mosins and do and do not know why. :thumbsup:

I am here to attain any knowledge that so far has eluded me but can still be discovered. Perhaps too many hours of my time have been dedicated to searching for information and either not being convinced of the merit of information that I stumbled upon in seeking an answer to a question. I hope this forum and its members are able to cite the answers they provide.
Also in the event it's not obvious from the above, I love Mosins and am glad to have found a place that I think others sharing my interests me are congregating. Maybe, someday over the rainbow, I'll have learned enough to be a contributing member and resource in this community.
1944 Izhevsk PU (? TBD) 1914 Izhevsk Receiver
1943 Sako M39 on 1905 Tula Receiver
1926 Tikka M91 on 1917 Tula Receiver
1939 Tula M91/30
1941/50 Izhevsk "MO" on 1941 Izhevsk Receiver
WartimeCollections13

Post by WartimeCollections13 »

Hi, my name is Mitch! I’ve been collecting historical arms for a good few years and just recently gave in and purchased my first Mosin! Glad to finally be here!
trader_bob01

Post by trader_bob01 »

Good day everyone. I have actually owned several Mosin Nagants, although I currently only have two, a 91/30 and a 44 carbine. I got them in a trade, but unfortunately the stocks were "refinished". I have other WWI and WWII era rifles that not been "improved". I am currently working on a "Sticky" Bolt problem on the 91/30, and a failure for the trigger to drop consistently on the 44 carbine. In researching the trigger issue I came upon this forum, and decided to join.
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

Happy New Year. Sitting in the great white North today, waiting for delivery of my new, all match 1925 Izhevsk, later this week. I did a bit of safe cleaning yesterday to make some room for the new baby and decided to inventory the collection. I discovered that I need a '31 and '36 to fill in the 30's and 5 of the 20's after the '25 gets here. That's gonna be a bit of a problem because with covid my wife works at home and can see the deliveries come in ... My modest collection includes a 1960 type 53, a couple Fins, a Semin and a mix of Tula and Izhevsk 91/30's and dragons.

Have lurked on the forums for some time and gotten great info. I'm certainly no expert but I will enjoy sharing opinions.
LtColWashburn

Post by LtColWashburn »

New guy here. Bought a 91/30 last year and paid too much for it, boo hoo, but thanks to this site I learned that it's a Tula (hex receiver) made in 1932 and refurbished in 1948. Good bluing but has a shellacked stock which slops over on the sling grommets. All similar s/n just under 108,000. Pristine bore. Came here looking for info on how to replace the rear sight after removing it for a crummy scout scope mount that wouldn't hold zero. It seems the sight spring is way over-tensioned for the job and I found that by putting it in my bench vise and giving it a few hard whacks with a rubber mallet to "flatten the curve," I could actually with some exertion slip the pin back in by hand. Lot smoother now like my Mk III SMLE and K98k. Am also curious about why some people slug their bores when the 7.62x54R commercial ammo from PPU and Win seem to work fine. Couldn't one just mic those diameters and be good to go for reloads? Someone said the Mosin uses the same pill as the .303 Brit and 7.7 Arisaka but don't know if that's true. Thanks for reading!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

LtColWashburn wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm New guy here. Bought a 91/30 last year and paid too much for it, boo hoo, but thanks to this site I learned that it's a Tula (hex receiver) made in 1932 and refurbished in 1948. Good bluing but has a shellacked stock which slops over on the sling grommets. All similar s/n just under 108,000. Pristine bore. Came here looking for info on how to replace the rear sight after removing it for a crummy scout scope mount that wouldn't hold zero. It seems the sight spring is way over-tensioned for the job and I found that by putting it in my bench vise and giving it a few hard whacks with a rubber mallet to "flatten the curve," I could actually with some exertion slip the pin back in by hand. Lot smoother now like my Mk III SMLE and K98k. Am also curious about why some people slug their bores when the 7.62x54R commercial ammo from PPU and Win seem to work fine. Couldn't one just mic those diameters and be good to go for reloads? Someone said the Mosin uses the same pill as the .303 Brit and 7.7 Arisaka but don't know if that's true. Thanks for reading!
I've done this twice, seemed like it involved a C clamp , a block of wood and something rectangular steel tool. There is probably some secret easy way to do it with a Soviet Mosin tool and a car key :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
colin lacey

Post by colin lacey »

Hello all I am in the UK and have a few Mosins which I have had for a long time.

Thank you for having me as a member.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

colin lacey wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:38 am Hello all I am in the UK and have a few Mosins which I have had for a long time.

Thank you for having me as a member.
Welcome aboard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Westwood

Post by Westwood »

Hello fellow collectors, new member here! I just purchased an Tulsky Mosin Nagant 1943 Izhevsk Sniper and I wanted to thank this board for the resources that were available to make sure what was real or not. I found it VIA Armslist, but thankfully the seller was a businessman like myself and we were able to verify each others identity before financial transactions took place. Now I have to wait for Minnesota to warm up so I can hit the range and shoot it!
jimsjrt

Post by jimsjrt »

New member, came here to learn. Have 2 rifles I bought back 15 years ago. One 91/30 and one M39.
Willchef

Post by Willchef »

Hi I am Will and I currently own a 1943 Soviet 91/30 and looking to add a Finnish m39 Civil Guard to my collection. Happy to be here!
AudioDuckman

Post by AudioDuckman »

Thank you for the add.
I am looking forward to learning more about
my Mosin’s.
I currently own a P 91/30 and a M39 .
spetsnaz85

Post by spetsnaz85 »

Howdy,

Im a new mosin owner of a Izhevsk 1945 m44, I have a mismatched bolt with some weird markings i cant seem to identify.
just wondering if anyone can take a look: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... bCuO9uBMdw
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

spetsnaz85 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 am Howdy,

Im a new mosin owner of a Izhevsk 1945 m44, I have a mismatched bolt with some weird markings i cant seem to identify.
just wondering if anyone can take a look: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... bCuO9uBMdw
Welcome to the board you might have better luck posting this on the main Mosin forum. Most of these little stamps are inspection stamps. This is normal, and found on pretty much every Mosin.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt