New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ElP

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by ElP »

Hello everyone!
I own 3-line M91 Mosin rifle, that was manufactured at the Sestroretsk factory in 1893 and have small sequence number (third hundred). Unfortunately it was later finn'ed to M24... Now I have plans to return it to the original state. A lot of questions are on my way, and I hope that collective mind will help!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

ElP wrote:Hello everyone!
I own 3-line M91 Mosin rifle, that was manufactured at the Sestroretsk factory in 1893 and have small sequence number (third hundred). Unfortunately it was later finn'ed to M24... Now I have plans to return it to the original state. A lot of questions are on my way, and I hope that collective mind will help!
Just a heads up this is a preservation forum and you'll probably receive a lot of flak trying to convert it backwards to the orginal configuration. While finding one in original condition is nice, the Finnish mods are a part of the rifles history. It was factory original once, after that it became a road map of military history and soldiers use. It has a long history and story as it is, messing with it deletes that history.

That said it's your rifle to do as you please, but they'll tell you that they'll won't want to hear about your changes of this forum. Sorry to sound rude, as it's not my intent, but this is how this forum views this type of stuff.

As always welcome to the forums, read through some of the postings to get a feel for what goes on around here. If I overstepped my bounds the mods here will chastise me and put me on notice.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Feedinggrounds

Post by Feedinggrounds »

So I have found the correct double ear bayonet for my 1946 m44. Installed it, it folds and deploys ok but when closed against the groove in stock it seems to have a bit of play. I would say the tip can move a 1/4 inch if rifle is tipped side to side. Is this a normal condition?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

No, not normal. I have one as well, a well made copy that doesn't lock down tight when folded. A leather thong tied around it is a simple fix.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote:
ElP wrote:Hello everyone!
Just a heads up this is a preservation forum and you'll probably receive a lot of flak trying to convert it backwards to the orginal configuration. While finding one in original condition is nice, the Finnish mods are a part of the rifles history. It was factory original once, after that it became a road map of military history and soldiers use. It has a long history and story as it is, messing with it deletes that history.

That said it's your rifle to do as you please, but they'll tell you that they'll won't want to hear about your changes of this forum. Sorry to sound rude, as it's not my intent, but this is how this forum views this type of stuff.

As always welcome to the forums, read through some of the postings to get a feel for what goes on around here. If I overstepped my bounds the mods here will chastise me and put me on notice.
No ffuries, you are not out of line. Destroying a pretty rare M24 to try and make a parts rifle M91 is silly. Even if one could find the correct parts, it would cost more than a proper example of the rifle one is trying to recreate. ElP, sell the M24 and put the money towards what you really want.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Feedinggrounds

Post by Feedinggrounds »

Steelbuttplate do you mean the bayonet is a reproduction? It does not appear to be, but I have only ever seen one and that is the one I just acquired. I thought it may be a spring issue. Or wear.
cubfanbudman

Post by cubfanbudman »

Just rejoined the Mosin 91/30 club after a few years. I traded into a '38 Tula and I also have an M39 on layaway at my LGS.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Feedinggrounds wrote:Steelbuttplate do you mean the bayonet is a reproduction? It does not appear to be, but I have only ever seen one and that is the one I just acquired. I thought it may be a spring issue. Or wear.
It most likely is a worn part. A little detective work and a shim or two should tighten it up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
cubfanbudman

Post by cubfanbudman »

So what are people using for image hosting now that photobucket is terrible?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I just post pics directly to the forum using the add attachment thing below where you type your posts.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
cubfanbudman

Post by cubfanbudman »

millman wrote:I just post pics directly to the forum using the add attachment thing below where you type your posts.
Ok, thanks. I’ll try to get one up tonight.
Wolf11B

Post by Wolf11B »

New member just joined up yesterday, looking forward to getting to learn and buy some more mosin nagants. Right now have an M44 1944 Izhevsk.
scottmc71

Post by scottmc71 »

Hey everyone, I' m the new guy on the block. Hopefully I'll be able to find and obtain some great info here. I have a few Mosin rifles in my collection, one heck of a rifle.
scottmc71

Post by scottmc71 »

Can I link pictures via imgur as long as they meet the 1000 pixle limit?
MongooseLaw

Post by MongooseLaw »

Hi, here for research and sharing a few pics, i started my collection 18 years ago with a '94 chatellerault m91 and ive recently picked up an m44 and 91/30 to go with it. my gf does not like this new hobby.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Good for you ahamy, and welcome to the forum.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mark2009

Post by mark2009 »

hello,newbie here! I love all gun related things! I just got what look like a 1907 carbine but im not sure! help please!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mark2009 wrote:hello,newbie here! I love all gun related things! I just got what look like a 1907 carbine but im not sure! help please!
Nope, what you got is a Bubba cut down ex 1891 rifle. Value of 1907 carbine is several grand, value of Bubba cut down M1891 is maybe fifty bucks for the bolt parts. Still can be used as a cheap plinking rifle, but has no remaining collector value.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mark2009

Post by mark2009 »

ah ok,I tough the rifle look like a factory made one and not a cut down barrel!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That sight looks to have been silver soldered on.

C. S. Lewis