My first Mosin Nagant...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My first Mosin Nagant...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1jackds2 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:30 pm Does anyone know where I can get an original M91 sling? I have everything else including the bayonet with sheath. All I need to finish it is a sling and I really want to get one that's 100 yrs old or close to it...
You could call Liberty tree, just click on the banner found at the top of every board page. The Mosin sling is a simple strap made by many countries who used these rifles. They all used leather at one time or another, but none dated the slings. There is probably some complex scientific method to determine the age of leather using carbon 14 or DNA, but a well used leather sling 20 years old can easily look a century old. With our infantry rifles like the M1 Garand, or the M1903 we had a true shooters sling in the M1907, the Mosin had a simple leather or canvas strap.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My first Mosin Nagant...

Post by bunkysdad »

Just find you a good Mosin Sling that is authentic and you'll be fine. I found a brown leather sling sold as a Finnish M39 sling. But most M39 slings are green leather, which would be ok as they are good quality leather slings that are strong enough to actually function as a sling. I just don't prefer the green on a M91 so I looked till I found a brown one. I hope you are able to remember what you learned about those M91 barrel bands. It is the reverse threads that gets new owners every time. And the screws when turned right to stretch the band enough to remove, stay on the band. They should not be able to be removed. As for gently driving out the pins there would never be a reason to consider disturbing such delicate items. No way Jose. Steelbuttplate, you couldn't have needed to remove them for any reason I can imagine, but ok. Whatever. Anyway, reading this has made me want to take my M91 to the range today.