Mossberg 500 Tactical conversions

Everything shotgun discussed here.
desdem12

Re: Mossberg 500 Tactical conversions

Post by desdem12 »

You are welcome here anytime MN. We are all gun totin crazies out here in the west. :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

back on topic...... I'd go with the pump shotgun I'm most comfortable with, with a barrel of LEGAL length and a full length butt stock. My last work shotgun was a Remington 870 with all manner of bells and whistles, my current h/d one is a Wingmaster 870 with a slug barrel and a standard tube. Rifle sight loaded with OO buck and left with the chamber open. I can drop one in the port, rack it closed and be ready to rock while SWMBO calls the "b'hoys' in blue. The local 911center has my house marked as a "HAZZARD" because I own guns as a P/O not as a Police Fighter or Wife Abuser. That way the responding units know there is an old fat guy in the place with a little 'sumthin' in his hands and all hold'd up in one room. Now if the grandkids are here all bets are off. Full house search with her behind me. Anything over 4 foot tall is going to get butt stoked and be given a quick vascetomy by the SWMBO (a trained surgery RN) Once we are all out the house is a free fire zone. Practice with what you carry and practice your plan. As to a law suit, you have to be alive to be sued.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Mossberg makes a bunch of different versions of the 500. I have two of them I got about 12 years ago. I got the Field/ Security which came with a vented rib 28" barrel and an 18.5" barrel. It's only a 3 shot unless you remove the wooden dowel and then it's a 5+1. With the 18.5" barrel and the pistol grip I got for it it's a great home security gun. Small and easy to handle. It's also a great hunting rifle with the 28" barrel. The other one I have is a Pursuader 8+1 shot and with the same pistol grip on it it's a bit longer with the 20" barrel and with a full mag of 00 buck it's a bit heavy but is still a nice home defense gun. There's a bunch of addon stuff available for these but I've found a simple pistol grip is enough for me.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The trick with the pistol grip is to practice a lot with it, and use heavy loads if that is what you keep in it. I just watched a video a friend sent me of people screwing up with firearms. There must have been 20 clips of people hitting themselves in the head with pistol grip shotguns they obviously had never fired with full power loads. Funny as hell, but they teach an important lesson about practicing with the defence weapons you use no matter what they are.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Pistol grips are for pistols, underfolders and Arnold :thumbsup:
terminator-2-judgment-day-poster-publicity-one-sheet-photo-arnold-schwarzenegger-01.jpg

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They have their place, I keep one for up close and personal encounters.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The trick with the pistol grip is to practice a lot with it, and use heavy loads if that is what you keep in it. I just watched a video a friend sent me of people screwing up with firearms. There must have been 20 clips of people hitting themselves in the head with pistol grip shotguns they obviously had never fired with full power loads. Funny as hell, but they teach an important lesson about practicing with the defence weapons you use no matter what they are.
Yeah I practiced with it a fair amount but in the end decided to put both of the shotguns back the way the came. Besides my home defense gun is the 44Mag. Redhawk I have. No neighbors next door like when I was living in an apartment before. That is unless I grab one of the others I have close by. I know what you're talking about though. It's like when I shot the double barrel a few months back after 21 years. I did shot a few single rounds but when I shot both barrels I remembered why I had only done it once before. Man that thing kicks. It was only #8 shot target loads too. Left a bruise on my shoulder for more than a week. When Fred_G and I shot we shot the Mosins, Garand, 44mag and a few others but none kicked like that and I didn't have any signs of a bruise after that. It'll teach you some respect....or remind you to have some.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The other shotgun is the military model 590, both are loaded, and stashed were I can reach them, not in the pic is the Beretta A300, I will get to that one at another time. I only shoot Remington, Federal, or Winchester 000 buck loads in these, buck loads are necessary for the Beretta to cycle properly. Last shoot we were having fun with my friends coach gun, 20" barrels, buck loads, even one at a time that gun was knocking us around.
Theodore Roosevelt
turkeyoak

Post by turkeyoak »

I have the Maverick 88 not the Mossberg 500 but I bought an 18" barrel to go with the 28" field barrel it came with.
I added a Phoenix stock from Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT267-1.html) and I'm good to go.
The 18" for HD and bear protection when I go to Alaska and the 28" for skeet.
The AR style stock works fine for me in shooting clays (i just a hobbiest, not a hard core clay shooter).
So far:
Daisy Red Ryder, Henry H001 .22, scoped Marlin .30-30,
Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Maverick 88 pump 12 ga.
1939 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30,
Ruger P89, 22/45, & LCP.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You might make them bears mad at you with a shotgun :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

I recently bought the Maverick 88, came with a 20 in. barrel. I'm considering a pistol grip. Some online reviews (Cheaper Than Dirt) say it can hurt after a few slugs or 00 Buck, but not so bad with #7 or #8. For $25 or so, might be a fun way to blow thru some shells at the range. I'd put the stock back on for home defense. The ATI or Hogue grips look good. Anybody have one they love or hate?
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

kwillindy wrote:I recently bought the Maverick 88, came with a 20 in. barrel. I'm considering a pistol grip. Some online reviews (Cheaper Than Dirt) say it can hurt after a few slugs or 00 Buck, but not so bad with #7 or #8. For $25 or so, might be a fun way to blow thru some shells at the range. I'd put the stock back on for home defense. The ATI or Hogue grips look good. Anybody have one they love or hate?
I am all about fun at the range and shooting. As far as a shotgun, just my opinion, keep the stock, invest in ammo.
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

How true -- ammo is always a good investment!
mosin joe 757

Post by mosin joe 757 »

The pistol grip on a Mossberg 500 with the factory 18 and 1/2 inch barrel makes for a great close quarters home defense gun, but you cannot aim down the sight(s) or it might recoil into your face or forehead when fired. The stock will allow you to better aim and steady the weapon, but it is not as compact, even with a collapsible style stock . Both stock and pistol grip have their advantages and disadvantages. :2cents:

Joe
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I built this hallway cleaner from a stock Mossberg 500. I did a trade deal for the shotgun itself. Then I traded the shop I work at for an 18 1/2 inch, my long barrel for the stock long barrel. I had picked up the other parts, pistol grip, for end, front sling attachment and sling somewhere. Millman still says naughty things to me after he shot it one handed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

I had a Mav 88 with a pistol grip. Came to my senses and sold it before I shot it.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I've posted this before but here it is sgain. I'm impressed with this Speedfeed pistol grip on my 870. Love it. Shoots from the hip comfortably.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132546 ... etic-black
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Brake weight, it shows discontinued now. Why do these companies discontinue the cool stuff?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Brake weight, it shows discontinued now. Why do these companies discontinue the cool stuff?
I have no idea why it was discontinued. Here's another place that has something similar. http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14 Never heard of the site or the model of this grip but they have one like the speedfeed.

Edit: I just found this on ebay by the same company. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shockwave-Techn ... 0836539984 It's a buy it now and they've sold 1027 of them.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I got mine from Amazon about 8 months ago maybe. Love it. Not all may agree.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln